Villiage Concept

A beautiful, colorful jungle Age with many secrets. HELP WANTED!

Moderator: Justintime9

Villiage Concept

Postby Justintime9 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:55 pm

For awhile I've been a bit stuck when trying to create concept art for the village, as I'm not too good with perspective drawings :P Anyway, yesterday I decided to just make renders of what it might look like. Mind you, it's rather rough, but I think it accurately depicts how I imagine it.

Now, of course it won't be exactly like this, all the houses won't be completely uniform, although they'll have the same general structure. There will be a campfire here and there in the space between the two rows of houses. The insides of the houses will have an old fasioned stove, a bed, and a few rugs. Outside there will be a few plants: bushes, flowers, and a tree here and there (it's a clearing so there won't be very many. Finally, (as you can see) it will be somewhat close to the mountain, creating a more mountainous terrain.

Feel free to make suggestions, and critique this design. (and don't be afraid to suggest a better layout, if you think it might be better)
Justintime9

Re: Villiage Concept

Postby Chacal » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:42 pm

Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby Justintime9 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:52 pm

Wow :o you're right! Do you think it looking like a camp is bad? Or does it look realistic as a village as well?
Justintime9

Postby Tweek » Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:42 pm

It seems a bit uniform to me, I would have thought the buildings would be a little more randomly placed for a small village.
Beneath - IC Blog.
Beneath: Ages of Tweek - FB Age Dev Page.
Tweek

Postby Justintime9 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:38 pm

I'd have to agree with that actually, What do you think of the idea of it being in a sort of valley of the mountain? If that doesn't work we could move it to a normal clearing. BTW, feel free to make concept art, or provide a description of how you think it should be, I really don't have anything too specific in mind (the rows were just one of the Ideas I had), so if I see something I like, we'll probably use it :)
Justintime9

Postby Jojon » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:04 am

I'm partial to settlements with varying style houses set into shrubby hills. Maybe if you let them surround one important thing down in the open valley. A well perhaps, or a council grounds, or a trading place...all the above? :7
Jojon

Postby Justintime9 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:13 pm

That's a good Idea, perhaps a fountain or garden. Since these people aren't a primitive people (they designed a whole electric system), the village should be relatively sophisticated (although not by our standards), so perhaps it can have some decorations. After all, it doesn't have to be as boring as the link in hut (it was pretty much only the fuse box shed). I'll have to sketch something out :D
Justintime9

Postby Justintime9 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:41 pm

I decided to center the village around a small garden, with a fountain in the center.
Here's a zoomed in pic:
Show Spoiler

As you can see, in the side areas is the forest (the village is cut through a small number to trees, rather than a huge clearing. There might be a stump or two on the paths bettween houses.
Here's zoomed out:
Show Spoiler

most of the houses will have closed doors, so we only have to decorate a few interiors. As you can see from the building shapes, they're not all the same shape, and are more diverse. My only concern is that all this may add alot of verts...
tell me what you think.
Justintime9

Postby Marcello » Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:42 am

Looks great! I have been thinking about a village concept too but the surroundings will be totally different.

I bought several books by Luke Ahearn about texturing and modelling for games. On his site he has some pics of a village. The concept behind it is very simple: he only build a few different models and duplicated them by placing them in with different angles or by layering them. Maybe he even uses different floor modules, the same for the first floor and for the roof. It could be very effective to build large villages this way. Not sure about that.

Just a thought that might help you out!

http://www.lukeahearn.com/

http://www.lukeahearn.com/html/lanhkmar.html

Is it possible yet in PyPRP to have meshes being duplicated on screen but have only one of them in the age export? Like with grass, trees, etc.?
Marcello

Postby Justintime9 » Tue May 05, 2009 2:34 pm

Thx, that does give a bit of an Idea of how we would go about it.
Justintime9

Return to Yinfara