Yinfara goes public

A beautiful, colorful jungle Age with many secrets. HELP WANTED!

Moderator: Justintime9

Re: Yinfara goes public

Postby Justintime9 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:23 pm

Hmm... that's tricky... I really like Lontahv's trees and don't think anyone could make them close enough to those, so is there any way you can just duplicate some of the existing trees in edit mode, and put them where they need to go on the second island?
Justintime9

Postby dendwaler » Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:18 pm

no, because a tree is not a tree, i can not copy it. Its a cluster of trees.
i can only copy the whole cluster.
Instead of 1 tree is build up from several parts, its seems as a part of the tree forms an object with the same parts of every other tree.
Its very confusing for me, because i simply don not understand what is done and how.
May be the whole idea behind it is brilliant, may be this has just been a brainwave what had to be tried out.
Without an explanation its to difficult for me.
A single tree in the cluster is build up from several parts and the similar congruent parts seems spreaded over all the trees.
When i seperate a branch from 1 tree , i seperate 1 branch of every tree in the same time.
When i join 1 branch again, all branches are joined again.
It really makes no sense for me to continue trying without understanding the basics.
During the next week i will try to rebuild an equal tree in the conventional way.
At this moment, i do not see, why it should be less in quality, if i may use the same textures.

And if somebody can do it better or understands it, no problem, then just keep the best.
Those wonderfull Worlds are called " Ages" , because that is what it takes to build one.

Watch my latest Video Or even better..... watch the Cathedral's Complete Walkthrough made by Suleika!
dendwaler

Postby Justintime9 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:22 pm

I see... well good luck with that then. Try to use as little verts as possible (in such a huge age too many can be deadly). Also remember that there are "billboard" trees which are pretty much a picture of a tree that can be put in between real tree at a distance to give the illusion of more trees. There's one of those under the island I believe.
Justintime9

Postby Lontahv » Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:38 pm

They're what are called linked duplicates in Blender. My version of the plugin turned these linked duplicates into ClusterGroups, a Plasma equivalent. You can look up "linked duplicates" in Blender documentation to figure out how to make them all real separate objects. Why I used this method was to make the huge forest run and export faster. Also this method shrunk the prp size greatly.
Currently getting some ink on my hands over at the Guild Of Ink-Makers (PyPRP2).
Lontahv
Councilor of Artistic Direction

Postby dendwaler » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:20 pm

Thx Lontahv, once I understand it, the greatest barrier is taken.
I did not recognize the linked duplicates,I have never used them.
Lets see what happens, the prp size is also dependent of the texture size.
The texture size can be minimized a lot, and when i unwrap the mesh in a different way this won't effect the quality.

Edit: I tried to unlink a tree , it was dead simple to do by pressing "U" in object mode .
During the week i will continue to work on it a few hours.
Those wonderfull Worlds are called " Ages" , because that is what it takes to build one.

Watch my latest Video Or even better..... watch the Cathedral's Complete Walkthrough made by Suleika!
dendwaler

Postby dendwaler » Mon May 03, 2010 1:08 pm

A little update about yinfara.
What is done sofar:
The trees are unlinked trees and grouped again in a different way.
Yinfara can now be exported with PyPRP 1.6, there is no noticible longer export time.

The textures are reduced in size by factors without loosing the quality.
2 wavesets are added (Ocean and pool behind the dam)
a swim area, ripples and footsteps added.

The dam is textured.
The second Isle is added and textured.
About 40 new trees are planted there.

Finally there is now a slow rotating sky together with the ever changing colours in yinfara, this gives wonderfull effects.
I still have some work on the new trees but,
near the end of the week i hope to post the new blend file, before I go on holiday.
So I won't be able to continue for about a month.

If there are others who want to add things , you are welcome.

dendwaler

Postby Justintime9 » Tue May 04, 2010 3:55 pm

:O wow you've made a lot of progress! Can't wait to take a look around. Did you keep the method of lighting color change that was there before in order to get the sky to change? If so, take into consideration that it will eventually have to be slowed down, as the actual color changing usually takes awhile (Maybe 30 minutes or longer). O, and is that ground texture mapped correctly? It looks a bit too big (not as detailed as before).

Other than that I'm very impressed at what you've gotten done!
Justintime9

Postby dendwaler » Wed May 05, 2010 1:42 pm

Did you keep the method of lighting color change that was there before in order to get the sky to change?

Yes, i did not alter settings or alcscript at all.
The trees are joined into 1 object per region.
The dummies, colliders, ... everything is left the same and still working.
I have tried many other options, and kept this one, as it has the best and still easy to alter results.
O, and is that ground texture mapped correctly?

Yes it is, but the detail texture is poor.
I will use the other rock texture, but that one is to light now, but will darken when i made a lightmap.
I do not want to use the use the filter setting for the mipmap, it does not combine well with the other layers as soon as you use a blend layer.
Here is another screenshot with a nice reflection.
The reflection is not in thecorrect place , it turns up everywhere.
but this is of less importance when you duplicate the same reflecting object on several places in the age.

dendwaler

Postby Justintime9 » Wed May 05, 2010 2:00 pm

Gotcha. It's pretty cool actually having the water, although if the reflection appears everywhere I'm afraid we may have to make a custom EnvMap. See, I have another age that reflected things wrong, to the point that it didn't look real. If there's no other way to make it reflect the glass hut less, We would probably best make a pre-rendered EnvMap of the sky (although 3D so that the sky changes with it.) Keep up the good work!
Justintime9

Postby dendwaler » Fri May 07, 2010 8:09 am

I have put the updated yinfara on Rapidshare for download.
These are the "dat" files so you can test the age.
I try to upload the blend file tomorrow, i have to repack the textures in it, otherwise it won't work.

I hope you like the second Isle, which is setup differently from the first.
Some feedback is appreciated.
I am aware that lot of things have to be improved , but i run out of time because of my vacation.
Around half of June i can help again a bit.

Here is the link for the download:
http://rapidshare.com/files/384594761/yinfaraV2.zip.html

dendwaler

PreviousNext

Return to Yinfara