Update: The "First (real) Age" Tutorial is updated

Special tutorials, usually for the exporter plugin, but also general modeling tutorials.

Re: Update: The "First (real) Age" Tutorial is updated

Postby Zander » Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:46 am

A lesser man would have given up by now. :x

Plants weren't visible. I followed the instructions, but they didn't appear at all. So I took them out again with the X-key, didn't change or touch anything else, and now my grass patch has one sharp edge that flickers as I move around.

This couldn't be more like Age Writing if it had been deliberately designed that way. Is there anything I can do that won't mess up something else?

EDIT: well, yes, but only if it's totally ineffective. Followed the instructions for the sky dome and putting in diffuse lighting. Nothing. I assume Control and Shift and N does actually "flip the normals" (is that like freaking the mundanes?) and I have pressed it an odd number of times, so if they weren't flipped before they should be flipped now, but I can't tell because it does nothing visible and I don't know if it should. But the nice blue cloud-wrapped sphere I have put around my island, like the stone walls in Age Two, like the plants here before I deleted them, is completely invisible.

Please, I want to learn this, but there is something missing from these instructions.
Zander

Postby Chacal » Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:48 pm

You can tell Blender to show the normals, this will help you fix this kind of problem.
First you have to go in Edit mode, and select the edit buttons, as shown here:

Blender controls Show Spoiler

Then you select "Draw Normals" and can even select the lenght of the displayed normals, as shown here:

Blender controls Show Spoiler
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby Zander » Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:11 pm

Thank you. I'll try that. EDIT: it worked!
Zander

Postby Makavelina » Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:23 am

Well I also have problems with this tuto... :cry: As I am using 2.46 Blender version, it has no UV EDIT MODE so I am kinda lost in this part.... I cant pass through Giving It Substance correctly... My Sand texture is not really smooooothly blend into the Rock texture, I am going crazy by that one :D I tried about 20 times :D and still with no succes.... Anybody can help me with that? (how to "cheat" the non-existing UV Edit Mode....) pls....
Makavelina

Postby Trylon » Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:46 am

If anyone feels like updating that tutorial to work with blender 2.46, please do!
I don't have time for it myself at the moment.
One day I ran through the cleft for the fiftieth time, and found that uru held no peace for me anymore.
Trylon

Postby mar » Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:50 am

Makavalina,
in Blender 2.46 the UV mode is a little different then in Blender 2.45. The UV mode is not longer at the pallet with the other modes. When you are in the object mode or edit mode and you click the " U"on your keyboard. You get a list for unwrapping your object.
The mode where you do the unwrapping is always the edit mode get TAB and you are back in the object mode.
Hopely this help :!:
mar

Postby mar » Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:55 am

I have said
When you are in the object mode or edit mode and you click the " U"on your keyboard. You get a list for unwrapping your object.

this must be when you are in edit mode and you click the " U"on your keyboard. You get a list for unwrapping your object.
mar

Postby mar » Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:20 pm

I have placed a node at the tutortial "the first real age" about UV mapping with Blender 2.46.
I have a picture of the screen in Blender but I don't now how I must put it in the Wiki. So when someone can explain that to me I can put it in the Wiki. ;)
mar

Postby Makavelina » Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:15 pm

Thank you Mar, that helped really :D gonna take another try, thanks a lot :D
Makavelina

Postby Makavelina » Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:54 pm

Please can anyone upload or send me a .blend file of the surface in the final phase of "Giving It Substance" section? I would like to take a look on how textures and layers are set, cause I am really lost in a tutorial itself, as I am not native english speaker I may not understand some things correctly :)
And I still cant get it right, it will be very useful if i can see how is it set up in the end..... thanks!
Makavelina

PreviousNext

Return to Tutorials