Update: The "First (real) Age" Tutorial is updated

Special tutorials, usually for the exporter plugin, but also general modeling tutorials.

Re: Update: The "First (real) Age" Tutorial is updated

Postby J'Kla » Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:34 am

The bit about adding the new texture for soil is extremely thin and sparse a bit like the soil one pixel deep.

It's a few lines with no explanation I for one am trying to pitch this at noob's as a good way to learn Blender this tutorial does really well up to this point.

The two earlier new texture parts are also a little flaky on the explanation but the pictures allow you to duplicate the settings.

I am also trying to get to grips with it so I can produce a Ahra Pahts Shell tutorial.

Perhaps splitting this on in two Just before adding the soil with an export at that point would give a sense of achievement.

It would also focus attention on the weakness of the opening of that adding soil section.

I know this will sound critical and I am sorry for that. I want this to be the best tutorial for Blender it's pretty close now. New textures are complex. I am looking at a lot of sources and this is one of the best.

It may be OK. to say all you do is click the new button then you have 2 Mat 2 circled (ok elipsed) just above that and slightly to the left is a box with "MA:Surf/Dirt" where does that come from?

Do yo just edit it there or do you change something somewhere else?

Wow two copy and paste buttons wow copy what and paste what where?

You might as well tell a noob [Ctrl c] [Ctrl v] because that's copy and paste.

I am not angry or bitter here this is not criticism for criticisms sake these are genuine questions.

I suspect the stencilling is a wonderful piece of tutorial but if you can't make the texture it's wasted.

It is hard work writing a tutorial it's a hand holding walk so you can expect more from me. ;)

If you want to get your own back, then feel free to go pick some holes in this one http://guildofwriters.com/wiki/A_Beginner's_Guide_To_Creating_A_Shell
because that's the one I am writing. :D
J'Kla

Postby Chacal » Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:28 am

You create way too many vertices when subdividing the floor. There is no need to subdivide all the polygons, just the central one.
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby J'Kla » Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:46 pm

An excellent point now in 30 words or less explain that succinctly to a noob that's never seen Blender before.

This is a quick and dirty method to get a result for a noob something very important in the early days.

I appreciate that it would be nice and if you look I do mention keeping the polygon count down but the aim was not a polished mound it was quick and dirty big hump in the shell that will export and they may be able to climb.

I am more concerned about the object descriptions. ;)
J'Kla

Postby dtierce » Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:34 pm

J'Kla... I want to thank you for going to this effort to clarify these tutorials. :!: :!:
dtierce

Postby Ar´thalion » Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:36 am

Hey there....

Sry, I just have a question concerning a thing on page 2 of this Thread. Is the UV-Face Select Mode, the same as the UV-Image Editor? Because the Option (UV-Face-Select-Mode) does not seem to appear in my Version of Blender (2.48). Is the UV-Face-Select-Mode a additional Plugin? I have all the other Modes, like Sculpt, and Vertex Paint etc....but not the UV one.....

Sry for interrupting.....
Thx for answers....
Ar´thalion

Postby diafero » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:10 am

As far as I know the tutorials were written for older versions of Blender, and the problem you experience is caused by the Blender people changing something in their app.
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Jojon » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:58 am

That is correct; there is no longer a separate "UV Select" mode -- all the jobs we used to do in that mode, have now been folded into "Edit" mode, so just pick that and you should find the world a pleasant place again.
Jojon

Postby Ar´thalion » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:11 pm

So they combined those two features in one. I understand. Thank you.
Ar´thalion

Postby 10milesfromnowhere » Fri May 13, 2011 6:12 am

Total noob.
I just installed the latest version of Blender (2.57b) and I'm trying to follow the tutorial, but I can't get the PyPRP script installed.

File - User Preferences did let me specify a scripts folder, but when I put the PyPRP folder in there (unzipped the download and copied this), the script doesn't show up.
Any suggestions?
10milesfromnowhere

Postby J'Kla » Fri May 13, 2011 10:45 am

The new version of Blender 2.5 and later as far as I know does not have PyPRP yet.

The existing scripts do work for version 2.49b when PyPRP2 comes out it will be (I believe) compatable with Blender 2.5 and later.

Disc space considered it's possible to have multiple versions of Python and Blender loaded and available on one PC I for example have

Blenders
2.49b
2.56a

With the matching Python versions for each.

I use 2.45 to import Cyan and other fan age files to see how they were constructed.
I use 2.29b to build and export my ages.
I use 2.56a to admire the posibility of some day building an age there.
J'Kla

PreviousNext

Return to Tutorials