All tutorials

Special tutorials, usually for the exporter plugin, but also general modeling tutorials.

Re: All tutorials

Postby Nadnerb » Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:20 pm

J'Kla wrote:Question 1 from Line 4: "All as full age, per age textures (.age)" should that read "All as full age, per page textures (.age)" because I think thats the nearest one I have :?: (Note change underlined)
Yes, that should be "per-page textures".

J'Kla wrote:Question 2 from Line 7: How do you know the export has finished? :?:
By checking the console window. The console window is the text only window that appears in the background when you start blender. When the export has finished, the last line will be something like: "done in 128.32 seconds"

J'Kla wrote:Question from Line 8: Copy your shell's PRP file (e.g. Pahts_District_Shell111.prp for shell 111)??? I have a Pahats.age file but nothing that ends prp? :?:
If you don't have any .prp files, then the age export probably didn't complete correctly, and you should check the console window for an error message.
Live KI: 34914 MOULa KI: 23247 Gehn KI: 11588 Available Ages: TunnelDemo3, BoxAge, Odema
Nadnerb

Postby D'Lanor » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:35 pm

J'Kla wrote:I haven't textured it I don't know how to do that yet

That is probably the reason why it fails. You can export without textures but you must UV map your objects and give them a material.

See this tutorial to learn about UV mapping.
"It is in self-limitation that a master first shows himself." - Goethe
D'Lanor

Postby J'Kla » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:57 pm

Yep I guess that's about right :D

Back to the wiki :oops:
J'Kla

Postby J'Kla » Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:53 pm

OK. this has been doing my head in.

The Blend file I received has three layers with data in.

Layer1
122top
122flr
122wal
122str
122LitShFrnt2.001
122Cm

Layer2
122LitShFrnt1
122LitShFrnt2
122FootStpFlr2
122FootStpFlr3
122FootStpStr
122FootStpTop1
122FootStpFlr
122FlrCOL
122StrCOL

Alt Layer2
122Number

The file flat refuses to export till I empty Layers 1 and Alt2 then move the Data from Layer two to layer one then everything exports beautifully.

Now am I going crazy?

Am I missing some step out?

Or am I just a thicko that's missed a page of wiki that explains that I need to do this double shuffle?

Yes I do have the Texture files and they are in the sub directory as suggested by Paradox.

I have been beating my head against this wall for two days and my brain feels like it's been in a blender could this be where it gets its name :shock:
J'Kla

Postby J'Kla » Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:49 am

OK excuse the double post.

Here's what I did

I emptied layer1 and I emptied Alt2 layer.

I then moved everything in layer2 into layer1

I then duplicated the 122FlrCOL raised it and had a play with the planes basically deleted some of the internal edges and vertexes and put in new ones.

I reset the Normals to outside then Exported. as per Testing your shell. I also backed up Phats_District_Shell122.prp before installing.

I was doing well till I came to running PlasmaShop (remember this is a age writing noob here) I eventually figured out I needed to add the game to PlasmaShop this is not mentioned in "Testing Your Shell" in the wiki so that's another thing to add to my Newbie starter kit.

But I did the checksum thing and there was no Python so nothing to do there and Prad was allready in ULM so lets go test.

Show Spoiler

But the weird thing is the floor is still there to run on so my conclusion is 122FlrCOL is the floor collision detect. (can somebody correct me if I am wildly wrong).

Anyway I retrieved my previous Phats_District_Shell122.prp from the backup re did the checksum with PlasmaShop and everything is back.

But I am no closer to the answer to my previous post. :D
J'Kla

Postby Jojon » Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:48 am

Auuhhhmmm???

No shuffling should be needed and which layers you put stuff is pretty much your own business.

It couldn't be that your textures archive already had the pictures collected in a directory and that you extracted that right into your project/textures directory, could it?

I.e. you should have something like:

Code: Select all
My_shell_project_directory
  |
  +-Textures
      |
      +-whooo.jpg
      |
      +-blah.tga

..but maybe you've got:

|
  +-Textures
      |
      +-Textures
        |
        +-whooo.jpg
        |
        +-blah.tga

? :7

EDIT: Our resident brainiacs may have an easier time helping, if you provide them with the console output from the failed export. :7
Jojon

Postby J'Kla » Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:06 am

The structure is as per your first

|
  +-Textures
      |
      +-whooo.jpg
      |
      +-blah.tga

Here's the log file

Exporting C:\Documents and Settings\J'Kla\My Documents\Ages\Pahts Working\export\Shell122.age ...
Args are et_age
['et', 'age']
Exporting age Shell122
[AlcScript Parser]
{'DayLength': 24.0, 'LingerTime': 180, 'MaxCapacity': 150, 'StartDateTime': 0, 'SequencePrefix': 189}
{'AgeSDLHook': False}
[]
{'DayLength': 24.0, 'LingerTime': 180, 'MaxCapacity': 150, 'StartDateTime': 0, 'SequencePrefix': 189}
#########################################
##
## => Exporting page Textures -1 <=
##
##
## => Exporting page BuiltIn -2 <=
##
##
## => Exporting page Shell122 122 <=
##
  [QuickScript - Footstep]
Quickscripted 122FootStpTop1
To: {'region': {'type': 'footstep', 'surface': 'stone'}, 'logic': {'modifiers': [{'flags': ['multitrigger'], 'activators': [{'type': 'objectinvolume'}], 'tag': 'Enter_Ft', 'conditions': [{'direction': 'enter', 'type': 'volumesensor', 'satisfied': True}], 'actions': [{'type': 'responder', 'ref': '$FootSnd'}]}, {'flags': ['multitrigger'], 'activators': [{'type': 'objectinvolume'}], 'tag': 'Exit_Ft', 'conditions': [{'direction': 'exit', 'type': 'volumesensor', 'satisfied': True}], 'actions': [{'type': 'responder', 'ref': '$FootSnd'}]}], 'actions': [{'tag': 'FootSnd', 'type': 'responder', 'responder': {'states': [{'waittocmd': 0, 'cmds': [{'type': 'armatureeffectmsg', 'waiton': -1, 'params': {'surface': 'stone', 'append': False}}], 'nextstate': 0}], 'flags': ['detecttrigger'], 'curstate': 0}}]}}

[QuickScript - Footstep]
Quickscripted 122FootStpStr
To: {'region': {'type': 'footstep', 'surface': 'stone'}, 'logic': {'modifiers': [{'flags': ['multitrigger'], 'activators': [{'type': 'objectinvolume'}], 'tag': 'Enter_Ft', 'conditions': [{'direction': 'enter', 'type': 'volumesensor', 'satisfied': True}], 'actions': [{'type': 'responder', 'ref': '$FootSnd'}]}, {'flags': ['multitrigger'], 'activators': [{'type': 'objectinvolume'}], 'tag': 'Exit_Ft', 'conditions': [{'direction': 'exit', 'type': 'volumesensor', 'satisfied': True}], 'actions': [{'type': 'responder', 'ref': '$FootSnd'}]}], 'actions': [{'tag': 'FootSnd', 'type': 'responder', 'responder': {'states': [{'waittocmd': 0, 'cmds': [{'type': 'armatureeffectmsg', 'waiton': -1, 'params': {'surface': 'stone', 'append': False}}], 'nextstate': 0}], 'flags': ['detecttrigger'], 'curstate': 0}}]}}

[QuickScript - Footstep]
Quickscripted 122FootStpFlr3
To: {'region': {'type': 'footstep', 'surface': 'grass'}, 'logic': {'modifiers': [{'flags': ['multitrigger'], 'activators': [{'type': 'objectinvolume'}], 'tag': 'Enter_Ft', 'conditions': [{'direction': 'enter', 'type': 'volumesensor', 'satisfied': True}], 'actions': [{'type': 'responder', 'ref': '$FootSnd'}]}, {'flags': ['multitrigger'], 'activators': [{'type': 'objectinvolume'}], 'tag': 'Exit_Ft', 'conditions': [{'direction': 'exit', 'type': 'volumesensor', 'satisfied': True}], 'actions': [{'type': 'responder', 'ref': '$FootSnd'}]}], 'actions': [{'tag': 'FootSnd', 'type': 'responder', 'responder': {'states': [{'waittocmd': 0, 'cmds': [{'type': 'armatureeffectmsg', 'waiton': -1, 'params': {'surface': 'grass', 'append': False}}], 'nextstate': 0}], 'flags': ['detecttrigger'], 'curstate': 0}}]}}

[QuickScript - Footstep]
Quickscripted 122FootStpFlr2
To: {'region': {'type': 'footstep', 'surface': 'grass'}, 'logic': {'modifiers': [{'flags': ['multitrigger'], 'activators': [{'type': 'objectinvolume'}], 'tag': 'Enter_Ft', 'conditions': [{'direction': 'enter', 'type': 'volumesensor', 'satisfied': True}], 'actions': [{'type': 'responder', 'ref': '$FootSnd'}]}, {'flags': ['multitrigger'], 'activators': [{'type': 'objectinvolume'}], 'tag': 'Exit_Ft', 'conditions': [{'direction': 'exit', 'type': 'volumesensor', 'satisfied': True}], 'actions': [{'type': 'responder', 'ref': '$FootSnd'}]}], 'actions': [{'tag': 'FootSnd', 'type': 'responder', 'responder': {'states': [{'waittocmd': 0, 'cmds': [{'type': 'armatureeffectmsg', 'waiton': -1, 'params': {'surface': 'grass', 'append': False}}], 'nextstate': 0}], 'flags': ['detecttrigger'], 'curstate': 0}}]}}

[QuickScript - Footstep]
Quickscripted 122FootStpFlr

[Lamp 122LitShFrnt2]
 [Light Base]

Diffuse Lighting Enabled
  Specular Lighting Enabled
  >>> !kLPCastShadows <<<
  >>> !kLPShadowOnly <<<
 [OmniLight]

Quadratic Attenuation
  Sphere cutoff mode at 5000.000000
 [Coordinate Interface 122LitShFrnt2]

[Lamp 122LitShFrnt1]
 [Light Base]

Diffuse Lighting Enabled
  Specular Lighting Enabled
  >>> !kLPCastShadows <<<
  >>> !kLPShadowOnly <<<
 [OmniLight]

Quadratic Attenuation
  Sphere cutoff mode at 5000.000000
 [Coordinate Interface 122LitShFrnt1]

[Visual Object 122Wal]
 [LogicHelper]
   No actions in list
None
   Exporting modifiers
   No modifiers
None
 [Draw Interface 122Wal]
  [Material MatShlWal]
   [Layer MatShlWal-ShWal.tga]
    -> Using UV map ''
    -> Err, Using first UV map
    [MipMap ShWal.tga]
     MipMapInfo:
---------------
Imagename:ShWal.tga
Resize Image: True
Make MipMaps: True
Calculate Alpha:False
MipMap Gauss:False
Mipmap AlphaMult:1.0
CompressionType: DXT
---------------

Converting texture ShWal.tga...

The Console output on screen looks to go on a little further so I've taken a screen shot and that's in the following spoiler.

Show Spoiler
J'Kla

Postby Jojon » Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:47 am

Ok, I don't purport to understand any of the console output and stuff, but it looks like the exporter can't find the textures allright.

I take it your textures are in:
C:\Documents and Settings\J'Kla\My Documents\Ages\Pahts Working\textures\

..and that the shell's .blend file is at:
C:\Documents and Settings\J'Kla\My Documents\Ages\Pahts Working\122.blend

? (the path is relative to the location of the blend file)

If this is so, somebody might have a good trick with paths to suggest, but otherwise, you could go into Buttons->Shading/Texture/Image for each material and locate the files anew, using the file requester.

Me, I prefer to keep all my projects under the ".blender" directory. :7
Jojon

Postby J'Kla » Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:10 am

Sorted explanation to follow basically path for textures was finite not relative all had to be reassigned. :D

OK here's the rub the directory containing the shell.blend has to be called shells.

I don't know if this is a feature of the shell files Bob the Rebuilder is handing out or if it was different before.

The position of this shells folder on your hard drive is irrelevant but call it anything but shells and it fails to find the texture files.

Go figure :!:
J'Kla

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:44 am

There's a utility for Blender that will locate your textures for you. See my post in another thread where Valdez and Katreeny were having the same issue.

That way, your parent directory can be named whatever you like.
Can we rebuild it? Yes, we can - here's how.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Myst Movie coming soon - spread the word!
Robert The Rebuilder

Previous

Return to Tutorials