Avatar Animations Tutorial Improved

Special tutorials, usually for the exporter plugin, but also general modeling tutorials.

Avatar Animations Tutorial Improved

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:58 pm

I recently decided to learn how to incorporate avatar animations into my ages, and I found the sample Blender file that Aloys provided on the Avatar Animations List tutorial to be very helpful. I then took upon his request to add AlcScript to the Blender file so that people will know how to properly trigger the animations (and fire the appropriate callbacks).

But then I thought, "Why not turn this into an actual age?" That way, I was able to test these settings and the various dimensions/orientations of the objects. After a few weeks, I uploaded the results to the tutorial. I also updated the information there, adding diagrams of the dimensions for the relevant scene objects as well as screen shots from the age.

And I also added a section that describes how to add non-global animations to your age - in a safe manner.

There are some issues with the age, which I've noted on the tutorial. But hopefully it will prove useful to others.
Can we rebuild it? Yes, we can - here's how.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Myst Movie coming soon - spread the word!
Robert The Rebuilder

Re: Avatar Animations Tutorial Improved

Postby Corvus » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:03 am

Thank you very much for this excellent tutorial. It will be very helpful when I will try to use those animations for my age.

But at the moment I have a problem with exporting it. I always get a name error.

I checked the name in my Uru sfx and streaming cache folder, I made the "find missing file" in Blender, but nothing helped.
There is one thing I don't understand. I loaded the wav. files in the blender audio window, and two files have a "F" before the name, but not the two others.

Should I hear the sounds when I click "Play Back Animation" in the View menu? Because I don't.
"To regard the imagination as metaphysics is to think of it as part of life, and to think of it as part of life is to realize the extent of artifice. We live in the mind."

-Wallace Stevens-
Corvus

Postby Corvus » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:40 pm

I found the "Play" Button in the Sound menu (F10). I can play the sounds and hear them, but with the mystPanelButton-Original.wav file I still get that name error when trying to export. Could the reason be that the name is longer than 21 letters?

Edit: Some time later. Success! I could export, after I shortened the name of the file to "mystPanel" in the AlcScript and put copied wav and ogg files with the new name in My Uru folder.
"To regard the imagination as metaphysics is to think of it as part of life, and to think of it as part of life is to realize the extent of artifice. We live in the mind."

-Wallace Stevens-
Corvus

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:21 am

Hey, Corvus:

You no longer have to import the sounds into Blender in order to export them. This was a fix made last June that was folded into the trunk; it should be part of the nightly build.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Robert The Rebuilder

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:25 pm

UPDATE: I incorporated D'Lanor's changes to support his linking book template, so now you no longer freeze when using the books in this age - thanks, D'Lanor! Also, I added a floor lever, similar to the ones in Kadish near the pillars.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Robert The Rebuilder

Postby Grogyan » Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:05 pm

Did you want to also include the other method for using non global animations, requiring no python?

Ps, did you use the Blender Caliper plugin to do those height measurements?
Better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all
Grogyan

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:23 pm

Sorry for the belated answers, Grogyan. Let's see...

Grogyan wrote:Did you want to also include the other method for using non global animations, requiring no python?

Where's a description of that approach?

Grogyan wrote:Ps, did you use the Blender Caliper plugin to do those height measurements?

No. Actually, I just scale the arrow lines until they look right, then I just hit the N key to bring up the transform dialog, and it tells me how high/wide/long the arrow line is.

UPDATE: I added a new version of the age, which includes the "Insert KI Hand" animation.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Robert The Rebuilder

Return to Tutorials