Moving objects with IPOs intact

Special tutorials, usually for the exporter plugin, but also general modeling tutorials.

Moving objects with IPOs intact

Postby D'Lanor » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:33 pm

If you have used animations in your ages I'm sure you have run into the following problem. You just spent hours animating an object and then you suddenly realize you need to move it elsewhere. Normally that means all your hard work was wasted because you have to redo the IPOs from scratch.

There is however a solution to this problem. Apart from the global IPO curves Loc and Rot we are used to, Blender also has delta curves dLoc and dRot. Delta curves are relative to the object and with these you can move objects around while keeping their IPOs intact.

In Blender you cannot enter delta curves directly though. So we need a script to convert Loc and Rot curves to dLoc and dRot curves. I have found such a script in the Animation Menu Toolkit Blender 2.49: Ipo Converter.

Ipo Converter works great in Blender. You can now move, rotate and scale objects while all their animations stay intact. However... the dLoc and dRot curves are not exported by PyPRP. So we need to revert the curves back to Loc and Rot. Since Ipo Converter did not provide a reversal of the process I have made a script for that: Ipo Reverter.

Installation:
  • Download the scripts
    ipo_deltas_249_rev3.zip
    (3.06 KiB) Downloaded 433 times
  • Extract them into your Blender scripts folder. Since you already installed PyPRP there I assume you know how to do that.
How to use:
  • Select the object(s) with IPOs you need to move
  • Set the current frame to 1
  • Run Ipo Converter from the Scripts - Animation menu
  • Move, Rotate and/or scale your object(s)
  • When you are done editing run Ipo Reverter from the Scripts - Animation menu
"It is in self-limitation that a master first shows himself." - Goethe
D'Lanor

Re: Moving objects with IPOs intact

Postby D'Lanor » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:21 am

If you already downloaded the scripts you need to do so again. I corrected an error which may result in rotation angles > 360 degrees. Blender can handle these fine, but I'm not sure if PyPRP does.

The error btw was not in my script but in the original Ipo Converter. So you need to use this version and not the version from the Animation Menu Toolkit Blender 2.49.
"It is in self-limitation that a master first shows himself." - Goethe
D'Lanor

Re: Moving objects with IPOs intact

Postby Jojon » Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:28 am

Great one D'Lanor, thanks! :)
Jojon

Return to Tutorials