How to Customize Blender to Make Modeling More Like Writing

Special tutorials, usually for the exporter plugin, but also general modeling tutorials.

How to Customize Blender to Make Modeling More Like Writing

Postby Jennifer_P » Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:57 pm

This tutorial will show you how to make Blender display text in a cool, Mysty font as well as giving it a more Book-like or GoW-themed look. This is more about style than utilitarian functionality--sort of like a pair of high heeled shoes that cripples your feet but looks really cool while doing it. So, caveat emptor. ;P

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/7166/gowindni.png
http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/4563/kahvimagik.jpg

So...let me start off by saying that this is all completely reversible. Unless you save these settings, they won't "stick;" in fact, they'll disappear next time you open Blender. I'll show you how to save these settings at the end, but for now it's probably better to leave them on "temporary." ('Cause it would be real embarrassing if you had to call in the Guild of Linguists to tell you how to change your settings to English after changing them to D'ni!)

So for now, just be aware that to undo all of these changes, all you have to do is to click File > Load Factory Settings > Erase All. (It's the thirteenth menu item from the top, in case you forgot your D'ni/English pocket dictionary.) Or, you can just close Blender and open it up again and the default theme and font will reappear.
Secondly, you don't have to use the font to use the color scheme. I.e., you can use Blender's normal font but the tan or black and red color scheme.

Part I: Adding a Theme
1. First, download the Ingredients folder and unzip it somewhere. You can download it here: http://uploading.com/files/424m1ff9/Ingredients.zip/

2. There are two Python files in the Ingredients folder, kahvi_modified_theme.py and GoW_theme.py. These need to be put in Blender's scripts folder so that Blender can see them. The scripts folder can be located in one of two places:

A.) C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender\.blender\scripts
B.) C:\Documents and Settings\YourNameHere\Application Data\Blender Foundation\Blender\.blender\scripts (Note: The "Application Data" folder might not be visible if your computer is hiding the hidden folders. To make "Application Data" appear, go to Tools > Folder Options > View > Select "Show hidden files and folders.")

3. Now drag and drop the files "GoW_theme" and "kahvi_modified_theme" into the "scripts" folder.

4. If you didn't have Blender open already, open it and split the screen in half. (Note: For now, don't mess with any settings or with the Blender cube unless I specifically tell you it's okay--this will save you from having to redo a bunch of stuff from scratch in Part III.) Okay, now convert the new window into the Scripts Window. In the Scripts Window, click Scripts > Update Menus. (This will ensure that the two added themes are visible, which they wouldn't be if you had Blender open when you dragged them into the scripts folder.) Next, again go to Scripts but this time choose Themes and select either GoW or kahvi modified. Tada! No more battleship grey. :)

Part II: Changing the Font
1. To change the font, first open the User Preferences Window. (Tip you probably knew already: Place your mouse pointer at the bottom of the "File Add Timeline Game Render Help" bar where it turns into a double arrow, then click and drag downwards to reveal the User Preferences Window.)

2. In the User Preferences Window, click "Language and Font." Now select the lone button "International Fonts." Notice right away that the font in your browser has changed to a larger size and become antialiased. We'll be changing this shortly.

3. Now click "Select Font," navigate to the "Ingredients" folder, select the .ttf or .TTF font you want to try out, and click "LOAD UI FONT." I included the fonts for Myst: Exile, the D'ni fonts provided by the Guild of Linguists, and Magik, a font used in Ages of Ilathid that I think is pretty. ;p If someone finds Atrus' handwriting font, let me know and I'll add it.

4. Mmkay. So now you have your font. Now, chances are that all is not yet perfect. The font is too small, and you can't read it well. Or, the font looks totally weird, or isn't displaying at all. This is because the font size is too big or too small. To fix that you can simply adjust the Font Size to (say) size 16. (You can play with this until you're satisfied with how readable it is.) Now it's actually readable...but wait, now the Buttons Window looks funny. Take a look at some of the buttons: the ends of the longer words are cut off where they overflowed. Probably, we don't want that, so we'll have to scale the buttons window up a bit. To do this, place your cursor over the Buttons Window, hold down the CTRL key, and scroll your mouse wheel. The Buttons Window will scale up and down and you can adjust its size so that the labels will fit in their boxes. This of course creates another problem (they don't end, do they?): now you can't see the whole Buttons Window. To alleviate this problem, you can do one or all of four things: A.) You can drag the edge of the Buttons Window upwards so that it steals some of the space occupied by the 3D View window. B.) You can scroll your mouse wheel inside the Buttons Window to make the buttons slide back and forth so that you can view them. C.) You can hold down the middle mouse button down in the Buttons Window and drag the contents of the window around to view the area you need to see. D.) You can mimize some of the infrequently used panels by clicking the little triangle in the upper left corner of each panel.
It's not a perfect solution, but at least now you don't have to squint. (On the other hand, this would explain why Atrus ended up with glasses.)

Part III. Saving Your Changes
Okay, do you have everything perfect? Do you want these settings to come up every time you open Blender? Well, then here's what to do.

1. First, put the User Preferences window back in its place, so that it is invisible again. Second, unsplit your screen and get rid of the Scripts Window. The default cube should be just as Blender gave it to you on start up. (If you moved or tweaked it, it's not the end of the world--just expect to get the moved or tweaked version of the cube every time you start up a new Blender file after you complete step 2.) The idea here is to configure your setup so that it's in the same default configuration as it always is upon start up--minus the small changes to the font, theme, size, etc. that you have just made. Check the Buttons Window--is it in a user friendly position? Do you want it to pop up in that configuration automatically, every time you open Blender?

2. Once you're happy with everything, select File > Save Default Settings. (Or hit CTRL + U). This will make your changes permanent. Note, however, that you can return Blender to its default configuration at any time by choose File > Load Factory Settings > Erase All.

Well--there you have it. :) A beautiful Blender layout suitable for practicing the Art. Happy Writing!
Jennifer_P

Re: How to Customize Blender to Make Modeling More Like Writing

Postby Tweek » Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:25 am

Nice, however I have enough trouble finding my way around Blender when it's all in English :lol:
Beneath - IC Blog.
Beneath: Ages of Tweek - FB Age Dev Page.
Tweek

Postby Chacal » Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:21 pm

Good work, Jennifer, and nice to see you back!
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby Jennifer_P » Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:22 am

Glad you liked! :) And thanks for the welcome, Chacal. This is just a Christmas visit though; I don't much time to play with Blender anymore, darn it!

Nice, however I have enough trouble finding my way around Blender when it's all in English :lol:

Hehehe, don't you want to practice your D'ninglish? :D No, actually I don't use either of these interfaces either. Right now I'm rather infatuated by Rounded, the second of Blender's two default themes. It's nice on the eyes, and I think it looks prettier than the usual sterile gray interface. :P
Jennifer_P

Postby Jojon » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:43 am

Mad. She's mad!

It's awfully pritti, though. :)
Jojon

Postby Charura » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:40 pm

While browsing through
....amazing because I just browze through most times, and yet some of you can actually make sense of this whole thing...Uh-oh I said some of you...../Charura hides
Gehn Shard avvies: charura 10827 chickopee 142711 cannon belle 144577 char gearz 149794 teri dactyl 153077
Moul(a) Charura 55400 Chickopee 20089892 Cannon Belle 13686512 Char Gearz 706359 Teri Dactyl 12658065
Charura

Postby Jennifer_P » Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:15 am

Mad. She's mad!

Darn, that's what the psychologist said too! ;) (I just told them that this is normal for 3D modelers.)

....amazing because I just browze through most times, and yet some of you can actually make sense of this whole thing...

Oh, well I meant I browsed through the book...after that I had to spend like five or six hours getting the themes to work. :roll: :)
Jennifer_P

Return to Tutorials