Korman 0.11 Released

News pertaining to the site and the forums, as well as guild discussions and events in the world of Uru.

Re: Korman 0.11 Released

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:14 am

Your blend works for me... I just had to replace the sound references (since you didn't pack the sound files) and disable "Avatar Facing Target" on the pedestal clickable.
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Postby dendwaler » Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:41 pm

Strange , your answer puzzles me even more.

I have now disabled "Avatar Facing Target" , this resulted in showing the clickable.
I noticed i had the turn the seek empty 180 degrees . otherwise the avatar turned around
after clicking still no sound for me , and the pushed camera triggered by the same oneshot does not work either.
The detection region does not give me sound at all.

I really don't know what can be wrong in my situation , when the same file is working for you. :?
Those wonderfull Worlds are called " Ages" , because that is what it takes to build one.

Watch my latest Video Or even better..... watch the Cathedral's Complete Walkthrough made by Suleika!
dendwaler

Postby dendwaler » Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:50 am

Ok , got it working now.

I discovered there is a difference in behaviour in using "export age" and "test age".

Using "export" age followed by starting the client and link to the age , all is fine.

Using "test age" will bring you directly to the desired age, but nodes do only work partially.
The problems i had were with the nodes only ! The modifiers do all work as intended.

But if you then shut down the client and start it again the normal way, suddenly all the nodes do also work.
There seems to be a difference in states the way you entered the age.
Those wonderfull Worlds are called " Ages" , because that is what it takes to build one.

Watch my latest Video Or even better..... watch the Cathedral's Complete Walkthrough made by Suleika!
dendwaler

Postby Sirius » Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:29 am

Huh, I wonder if this could be something with the Age's SAV file. At some point I had a similar issue when modifying a sound emitter I previously exported, and the fix was deleting the Age's SAV file. Could be something like the "playing" state of either the sound or the responder being saved between sessions, which prevented the sound messages from working.
If this is indeed the case, it might be worth adding a "Reset Age" button to Korman which deletes the SAV file.
Sirius

Postby dendwaler » Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:05 am

i am not sure its only the sound.
As you know, I have in the Cathedral an unequaled number of sitting places. around 350.
Using PyPRP tthis gave zero problems.
But now i have lots of troubles to let the avatar sit on the wished spot, when there are 4 or more places on 1 seat.
You can destilate from this i finally succeeded in converting the cathedral to blender 2.79b in the whole.
I can export it again and did not lose anything except some parts of animations.
Now i have started to translate the PyPRP to nodes.
I have to change a lot because the logic is heavy.(for me)
Luckily i also learned a tiny bit of python coding and hope this helps me to make the logic less " dirty."
I no longer want to animate regions into position but enable or disable them instead.
Finally i want to improve the lightning .

I want to compliment Hoikas , how far he came to develop Korman.
This must have been his second life besides his dayly work! Kudos.

What i would like to have is a simple way to force first or third person with nodes.
May be this can be added

dendwaler

Postby Sirius » Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:57 am

dendwaler wrote:But now i have lots of troubles to let the avatar sit on the wished spot, when there are 4 or more places on 1 seat.

Strange. I just tried, and I can have two separate sitting objects sharing the same clickregion. If you need more help let me know.

dendwaler wrote:You can destilate from this i finally succeeded in converting the cathedral to blender 2.79b in the whole.

That's good news ! Best of luck with this, Cathedral is a huge Age, and I can guess how much time it takes to fix everything... I'm still working on the Unity version from time to time, and lightmapping in particular is quite tough for such a big area.
(On an unrelated note, we're working on getting echoing footstep sounds working in Korman. Once available I'm sure this will sound awesome in the Cathedral !)

dendwaler wrote:Luckily i also learned a tiny bit of python coding and hope this helps me to make the logic less " dirty."

If at some point you need to do some very repetitive task on dozens of objects (like setting up modifiers or node trees), don't hesitate to ask. Writing some small scripts in Blender can speed up some tedious work.

dendwaler wrote:What i would like to have is a simple way to force first or third person with nodes.

Look into node trees. In the "camera" node, there is an option to disable first person. I never tried it though.

dendwaler wrote:I want to compliment Hoikas , how far he came to develop Korman.

Yeah, I'm always impressed at how good Korman and all our tools are nowadays ! PyPRP was nice but a real mess by comparison.
Sirius

Postby dendwaler » Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:32 am

I can show you the strange "sit" behaviour , i updated my testage with it.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QoCURnx5oUE2_MjyWWFK4IBuFpR8fStP/view?usp=sharing

there are two wooden pew's . the first has the strange behaviour , the second acts normal.
The solution was to give each seat a unique sitting box and a unique clickable.
when the sitboxes share one clickable it goes wrong . the avatar will make a sequence of sittings along all four places.

I conclude from that , that the sitting modifier can be simplified for the user, because the clickable sitting spot must be unique , but will always be on the same fixed orthogonal distance from the sitting box or sitting empty.
So you can suffice with defining a seat and generate the empty below it. May be you can even generate a sitting region around it since the only needed information is already given by the settings "front left right and rear"

dendwaler

Postby Sirius » Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:18 am

Oh yeah, I see the problem now :lol: As you've noticed, you can't have all sitting modifiers share the same clickable, they will all fight for control over the avatar. The way the second bench is setup is correct. Fortunately, you can just duplicate those objects all over your Age to make your other benches clickable, no need to adjust anything once they are correctly positioned.

Oh, and looking at your Blender file, you might want to avoid having objects interacting across pages/PRPs. For instance, your sitting modifiers are on the default pages, and the detect region are on Page01. Theoretically Korman should handle it correctly, but it can become problematic on some occasions.

dendwaler wrote:I conclude from that , that the sitting modifier can be simplified for the user, because the clickable sitting spot must be unique

That's true. Though sitting modifiers are not really annoying to setup most of the time, so it's not really worth adding the extra complexity to Korman.
Sirius

Postby dendwaler » Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:37 am

I have all seats in the cathedral correctly working now.
When i corrected the errors after importing , the biggest issue was that the building itself shared to many vertices on the same material.
So i splitted it all up into more equal materials.
I admit this is far better because now a material in south wing does not share a material with one of the towers.
This gives a huge performance boost.
Until now i have no visual regions and just one prp file and no performance problem at all.

dendwaler

Postby dendwaler » Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:37 am

I think i found another bug in the nodes.
it concerns the enable /disable node.
When trying to enable an object it does not appear on the correct spot but high above it.
For an example look into my testage
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QoCURnx5oUE2_MjyWWFK4IBuFpR8fStP/view?usp=sharing

In there you see a big Vase, if you press the button on the pedestral it will disappear.
when you press again it returns on another spot.
I dont notice this problem with regions , they can be disabled and enabled without any problem.

dendwaler

PreviousNext

Return to Guild News