PyPRP new version downloadable now

News pertaining to the site and the forums, as well as guild discussions and events in the world of Uru.

Re: PyPRP new version downloadable now

Postby Nadnerb » Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:11 pm

Simply duplicate your mesh, and create a second vertex color layer and paint the areas you want to appear transparent black. Then change the texture on that layer. (to grass, for instance)

Click to show image Show Spoiler

Once exported, the area above will look like this in plasma.
Live KI: 34914 MOULa KI: 23247 Gehn KI: 11588 Available Ages: TunnelDemo3, BoxAge, Odema
Nadnerb

Postby Grogyan » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:23 am

I tried that, but can give a little more detail on how to do it please.

It just so happens that this is what I am practicing on on my little experimental Age.

That and how to get avatar shadows?
Better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all
Grogyan

Postby Lontahv » Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:16 am

Hrmm well, I'm not sure about the avatar shadows. :? I think Nad here can help you with that. ;) *me hands question to Nadnerb*

And about the alpha vertex-paint. What in particular do you need to know more about? It was really just trial-and-error for me. The most important thing to know is that the second vertex-paint layer is alpha--white is solid and black is alpha and everything in-between. The rest of it is easy to learn from just google-ing and playing about with the buttons in blender. :)
Currently getting some ink on my hands over at the Guild Of Ink-Makers (PyPRP2).
Lontahv
Councilor of Artistic Direction

Postby andylegate » Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:48 am

I think what Grogyan and others mean is: "EXACTLY how did you do it?"

My own experience has been Trial and Error, with emphasis on the Error part, :D

I also think they want you to explain how you set it up to paint like that.

EDIT:

Hereis a link to one of the tutorials in the Blender Noob to Pro books. It shows how to use vertex painting. There will be things that you do different for Ages, but the basic priciples apply. It helped me out a lot, as before, with the old plugin, I just UV mapped everything. But with this new plugin, it's REALLY important to learn how to use things like Vertex painting, as it will help make your Age come alive and look more real. Don't feel bad, I'm having to relearn everything myself.
"I'm still trying to find the plKey for Crud!"
Blender Age Creation Tutorials
3DS Max Age Creation Tutorials
andylegate

Postby Erik » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:54 am

Wow, Lontahv! That's the best scenery I've seen so far in a user-created Age!

This new version has motivated me to start Writing again... :)

EDIT: I'm getting this error with the FuncChk:
File "C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender\.blender\scripts\alc_AlcScript.py", line 28, in <module>
import yaml
ImportError: No module named yaml
Erik

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:08 am

Erik:

The new plugin requires the Python YAML library to be installed; check out the revised plugin installation instructions here.
Can we rebuild it? Yes, we can - here's how.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Myst Movie coming soon - spread the word!
Robert The Rebuilder

Postby Erik » Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:01 am

Thanks, that did the job. The Age exported nicely, but now nothing happens when I click the button in the Age... :?
Erik

Postby Nadnerb » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:29 pm

Ah, about avatar shadows... if they worked, you would just have to make sure the "ray shadow" button was checked on your lights, but they don't work, unfortunately. They will probably work in some future plugin update. ;)
Live KI: 34914 MOULa KI: 23247 Gehn KI: 11588 Available Ages: TunnelDemo3, BoxAge, Odema
Nadnerb

Postby Lontahv » Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:04 pm

Well, good textures are the key. :) I got my textures from "CGTextures" and then used the gimp to "make seamless". :)

Oh yes, and I used Terragen to make the landscape and then exported it as .lwo format and then imported it into blender.

Links:

Terragen: http://www.planetside.co.uk/terragen/
CGTextures: http://www.cgtextures.com/
Gimp: http://www.gimp.org/

Note: I've been waiting for alpha vertex-paint for a long time, knowing that it would turn the tide and make fan-ages look almost like cyan's ages--I had all the things needed in place so, if I forgot something on the list of things and you think I must have had another resource--please don't hesitate to ask. I'm sure I'm forgetting something that went into it. :P
Last edited by Lontahv on Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Currently getting some ink on my hands over at the Guild Of Ink-Makers (PyPRP2).
Lontahv
Councilor of Artistic Direction

Postby Nadnerb » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:29 pm

Indeed. I had been bugging the pugin devs for alpha vertex paint for some months now for the very same reason. (I do believe you meant alpha vertex paint, not alpha textures, which we have had for some time now ;) ) I don't know about "turning the tide" though.. I'm still waiting for animated, wavy, reflective water materials. :D
Nadnerb

PreviousNext

Return to Guild News