Significant Release: GoW PyPRP 1.3.0

News pertaining to the site and the forums, as well as guild discussions and events in the world of Uru.

Re: Significant Release: GoW PyPRP 1.3.0

Postby Kato » Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:54 pm

Well really two, one of which was from a judge of the competition--an important vote when considering issues involving a small number of people like this. Since a judge was involved, I figured it was important. Also, Andy was very vocal about it--and one vocal person is about all it takes for me :)

-Kato
(explorer card designed and created by me)
Kato

Postby Grogyan » Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:37 pm

I agree it is bad timing.

If however the plugin update was just before the contest, then you could see it being used, but not at this late stage.

I havn't even finished modeling, let alone the scripting.

But I have a neat idea to use animated texture for my shell, but it won't be included in the entry due to time constraints already.

On the upside, whilst the judges are judging, we can play around and attempt to break the new plugin
Better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all
Grogyan

Postby andylegate » Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:34 am

I was most vocal about it simply because my sense of fair play was jarred.

Neither I, nor anyone on my team expects to win in any case. We're simply doing it for the fun of it.

However, I was thinking of there possibly being those that may be trying to enter this, that don't check the forum each day, or who think they do have a fighting chance at winning.

Most likely there should have been a rule about which plugin to use. It's like making sure everyone is using the same set of paint brushes.
But, the whole point of the contest was to get people to pump some Ages out quickly.

Shrugging here. You guys have a LOT of newbies here now, many of them trying their hand at making Ages, competition or not. I don't see the sense in getting them confused, or wondering why the tutorial they are following no longer works. Then they will be here at the forum trying to figure out what they did wrong.

We've got it easy over at the Maintainers I guess. We simply have to make sure people know about an updated ULM, and how to load up Ages.
Where as you guys here keep making better tools, which is good, but then hand them out with no knowledge given on how they work.
The upside is that, yes, this can make people have to explore how something might work.

The downside, is that many, many new people get scared off, as to them Blender was hard enough, and now they are handed something else that they have to figure out on their own, or wait.
While that might sound like some of us are a bunch of kid whining about having to wait, remember that we're trying to attract people to the guilds, and one of the things that I'm sure most of you have noticed during the history of MOUL is that, people HATE to wait.

Anyway, hope y'all figure out the bugs in this latest version.
"I'm still trying to find the plKey for Crud!"
Blender Age Creation Tutorials
3DS Max Age Creation Tutorials
andylegate

Postby Marcello » Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:49 pm

Wow guys, this sounds like one of the cooles releases of the plugin ever! Shadows and animated textures... I'm in awe!! :D

Bad timing though :) I'd love to go and play days in a row to test everything but I'll be leaving for a long holiday in a few days time (that's why I'm not competing in the RAD competition either). To much preperation! Can't wait to go, but would have loved to make the water in my swim region tutorial pool move :)
Marcello

Postby Marcello » Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:22 pm

P.s. is there a new funcionality age to admire the new features?
Marcello

Postby D'Lanor » Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:51 pm

That would be nice since I cannot get any of the new features working. My age exports without errors but... no animated textures... I had shadows in 1.2.1 and lost them again in 1.3.0... no more 3d sound even when using the new flags...

Believe me, you are better off for now using 1.2.1. Can anyone confirm that the new features actually work?
"It is in self-limitation that a master first shows himself." - Goethe
D'Lanor

Postby andylegate » Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:39 pm

I'd be happy to try it, but I'm REALLY busy with this competition Age. And with the deadline drawing so close, we're barely going to make it as it is. I don't dare install a plugin that's buggy like that.

If I can find some spare time this evening, I could copy my blend file, then try installing the new plug in and see if I can't get the sound flags to work.

You know, just now remembered. the scripting for those flags is weird. At least weird to me. before you had:

Code: Select all
flags: loop | 3D | start

Like that, but now the new ones for this plug in go like:

Code: Select all
flags:
  - is3dsound
  - <other flags>
  minfdist: <minimum distance>
  maxfdist: <maximum distance>

the - is3dsound and others, are not tabulated right. I mean when you hit the return key in the ALCscripting, you either line up with the f in flags, or you move over 4 spaces. That - is neither. It's 3 spaces over. Weird.
"I'm still trying to find the plKey for Crud!"
Blender Age Creation Tutorials
3DS Max Age Creation Tutorials
andylegate

Postby D'Lanor » Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:33 pm

Never mind the 3d sound. It suddenly started working after I deleted the pyc files in the scripts folder and let Blender recreate them :?
D'Lanor

Postby Chacal » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:14 pm

This makes sense. Isn't normal behavior for Python to use the .pyc if available, if not then compile the .py source again?
I always delete alc*.* and uru*.* from the scripts directory before copying the new plug-in files.
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby D'Lanor » Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:31 am

Chacal wrote:This makes sense. Isn't normal behavior for Python to use the .pyc if available, if not then compile the .py source again?
I always delete alc*.* and uru*.* from the scripts directory before copying the new plug-in files.

Yes, unless the py file is newer. Then it regenerates the pyc file.

Edit: I think I had accidently loaded up 1.2.1 at the time. I change PyPRP versions more often than underwear. :D
So this was not the solution. Well, it bugged me enough to try and fix it and I think I did: viewtopic.php?f=59&t=1323&p=12977#p12977
D'Lanor

PreviousNext

Return to Guild News