New plugin release

News pertaining to the site and the forums, as well as guild discussions and events in the world of Uru.

Re: New plugin release

Postby boblishman » Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:58 am

I have installed the new plugin.... and exported my age (after deleting the Texture cache) and everything works fine :) ... execpt that I have no footstep sounds...none... :cry:

I have checked the Age.log output, and it says that they were exported...but they just don't work anymore. I have even tried adding a new footstep region...but that doesn't seem work either.

On another note, I have noticed (unless its my imagaination) that the graphics are GREATLY improved, (especially the vertex painting on objects with materials) ... very nice!

One other thing (and I know it's my fault for using the AML hack to create a Journal but I cannot find a tutorial anywhere to show me how to make a 'proper' jounal using python) ... but the transparent images in my journal have dissappeared...the space is there...just no image. Actually, the first time I exported the age and used the Journal it actually crashed me to desktop when I turned to the page with the first transparent image...
After exporting it again it will actually show the journal pages ...and turn the pages without crashing ... but the drawings have disappeared. (I mention this because I posted (and it was copied over to the tutorial section by the Mod) for other newbies using this hack how to create transparent images in their Journals and if this is now not possible, the tutorial needs removing...
I would prefer to make a journal in the 'correct' manner ... but I cannot find any tutorials to enable me to do this.. can anyone help ?
when it comes to Age creation ... "DOH" seems to be my middle name...
boblishman

Postby Trylon » Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:02 am

Oh, you probably have images uv/mapped to a plane for use later, right?
Try adding a material to that plane, and assigning the image through an image texture. That might work.

The way of encoding images has been changed, so that might cause some changes in usablility
One day I ran through the cleft for the fiftieth time, and found that uru held no peace for me anymore.
Trylon

Postby Pryftan » Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:13 am

As for the "correct" method of making a journal, I don't know of any alternative way. I mean, you could write your own python hack, but that'd have the same problems. The other way would be to modify the pyPythonFileMod directly, which you'll probably have to wait for H'uruStudio to do. (I've asked this before, but has anybody had any success hacking a change right in with a hex editor? I tried that a few times and just ended up with corrupted files.)
.rilvoohee vehrehnehm vokan pam mahnshootahv rub voohee taygahnehm mahtahntahv
Pryftan

Postby boblishman » Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:44 am

Trylon wrote:Oh, you probably have images uv/mapped to a plane for use later, right?
Try adding a material to that plane, and assigning the image through an image texture. That might work.

That's they way it is already... so it's not that.

One thing the Age.log file did say was that it resized the image (it was not a 'traditional' 128 x 256 type size... which was part of my original posting about being able to use any size graphic for your Journals).

I suspect though that it is more to do with the DTX formatting that takes place ... although that's just a guess on my part. I will do some experimenting over the next few days and see if i can find a way to get them to work.

In the meantime though ... any news about the footprint sounds ? (that's more important to me at the moment... I can live without the drawing in my Journals) ... or is it just me that's having this particular problem with the new plugin?
when it comes to Age creation ... "DOH" seems to be my middle name...
boblishman

Postby Paradox » Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:30 pm

Pryftan wrote:As for the "correct" method of making a journal, I don't know of any alternative way. I mean, you could write your own python hack, but that'd have the same problems. The other way would be to modify the pyPythonFileMod directly, which you'll probably have to wait for H'uruStudio to do. (I've asked this before, but has anybody had any success hacking a change right in with a hex editor? I tried that a few times and just ended up with corrupted files.)

I do hex editor hacks all of the time... but I also have documentation of what I'm changing. Might it be an idea to create a special property in the plugin to handle Linking Book and Journal popups?
Paradox

Postby JulyForToday » Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:35 pm

Pryftan wrote:..Hooray!

That was RIDICULOUSLY quick and responded to many of the concerns raised here. Amazing!

I'm assuming http://alcugs.almlys.org/shots/pyprp/latest.zip will work to get it?

Didn't work at first, for some reason it didn't recognize PyYAML which is odd because I did have it installed.. I wonder if other people will have the same trouble. Anyway, working now ;D

Am I right in saying the effect of lighting is much more pronounced now? Something to do with the way a material color used to "show through" the texture..

I'm trying to install the plugin, and Iwas having a similar problem. Got the following error message:

File "...\scripts\alc_AlcScript.py", line 28, in <module>
import yaml
ImportError: No module named yaml

The problem here was that I didn't realize another python library was needed. I had to go to back to the Alcugs wiki and get PyYAML. But now it works fine. And now I get to take for test drive :)
JulyForToday

Postby Aloys » Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:42 am

That new version looks great, so many new features! I can't wait to try them. :D
That will be for the next version of Ahra Pahts though, it appears there are issues with the footsteps, and right now I don't really have the time to go bug hunting..
But hopefully for next week, I'll be able to play with the new no-mist option and update the light flares' Z-offsets to fix a couple issues..

The addition of the no-mist option should bring great improvements to large Ages.. (I know it will make some dramatic changes to Ahra Pahts..)
Aloys

Postby Jennifer_P » Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:10 am

Okay, I have a question on the new plug-in. Where oh where do I put all these lovely files that I've just downloaded? At the moment they're just sitting in their extract file on my desktop, and I have a strong feeling that this is where they are not meant to be. If someone could just point me to a nice page or thread with some good instructions, I'd be grateful. :)

Ah yes, and I would naturally prefer to install it using the automatic installation at the site below, but during the installation it asks me to install it to the correct "Uru folder," and I'm not certain which folder that would be--there are a lot of them, so...?
http://ulm.hbyte.net/
.chehv shehm. (I think that's thank you in D'ni.) :)
Jennifer_P

Postby Jennifer_P » Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:45 am

Of course, if I followed the directions below correctly, then I'd have the newest plug-in.
http://alcugs.almlys.org/wiki/index.php/PRPBlenderInstallation
I see this wiki page was last updated on November 2nd; does in contain the newest version?
Jennifer_P

Postby Trylon » Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:47 am

Yeah, that should give you the latest version.
One day I ran through the cleft for the fiftieth time, and found that uru held no peace for me anymore.
Trylon

PreviousNext

Return to Guild News