We need Representatives!

News pertaining to the site and the forums, as well as guild discussions and events in the world of Uru.

We need Representatives!

Postby BAD » Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:04 pm

We only have 13 people signed up as representatives, and I can hardly believe there is only 13 people on this whole board who care if this place runs well or not.

So here is the detailed instructions, and lets face it, the down right begging for people to sign up. I can understand if some people don't want to be bothered with having a title or a specific job, but we have had a lot more than just 13 people voting for stuff previously.

If there is a barrier that anyone can see with how the sign ups work please let me know and we'll do our best to smooth them out.

Instructions to sign up as a representative:

1) Click on User control panel at the top left of this very page.

2) Click on the Usergroups tab.

3) Click the circle on the right of the Representatives group.

4) At the bottom right click submit. (make sure it says join this group in the box on the left of it)

Once done Kato will review your account and activate your membership.

So lets get going here folks and sign up! ;)
BAD is as good as he gets
BAD

Re: We need Representatives!

Postby Grogyan » Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:11 pm

representing in what way?

I already am promoting it in Second Life
Better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all
Grogyan

Postby BAD » Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:38 pm

Guild Representatives

Becoming a GoW Representative

Membership of the GoW representatives is open to anyone who wants, provided the following:

a) You feel you are a member of this guild: You haven't just signed up for the forum discussions.
b) You are able to be contacted through forum or PM's at short notice (not counting vacations).
c) You contribute to the forum at least semi regularly (ten posts or more)
d) You follow the rules of the forum, wiki, and any other web site the GoW utilizes.

If you cease to fit these requirements you will step down. If you are inactive on the forums (and haven't been in contact otherwise) for more than two months, you will be automatically taken off the list. This is only for practical reasons (e.g. vote count), once you return, you are welcome to rejoin instantly.

How to sign up

People who comply with the requirements set up in this guild structure document for Guild Representatives will go to your UCP Usergroups panel. They will fill out the form information and then hit the submit key.

If the person passes, they will be sent a private message that states they have been added to the representatives group. This gives them write access to the Representatives sub-forum and the ability to create and vote on proposals.

Representative booting

If a representative exhibits undesired behavior, a proposal can be put before the council to expel said representative from the position for a specified or unspecified time. In this special case, a discussion for the proposal is not needed, as long as a good explanation for the removal is given in the voting poll itself.

The above is directly copied out of the new Guild structure. We need those who wish to be a voting member of the guild so we can go forward with the restructure. :)

Edit: Representatives can create proposals to change the GOW, they can be appointed directors to run aspects of the guild, and they can vote on all submitted proposals.
BAD

Postby J'Kla » Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:52 pm

Went to sign up found I was already. Go figure :D

I'd go for Gild Councillor but I don't want to be a post turtle.

If you don't know what a post-turtle is Google for it the's some good examples.... ;)
J'Kla

Postby Nalates » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:08 am

OK... I got all the requirements. I must be missing something. J'Kla asked about representing in what way. I have the same question.

I also do not understand why one would sign up to be a representative. As a GoW apprentice I send people to GoW or GoMa depending on their questions, which seems to me to be what representing the GoW is about. Am I missing something?

If you are talking about promoting the GoW then is depends what you want. For tutorials and technical questions I do promote GoW as the best place to get a good answer. If you mean promote to bring in new members… well, what can I say.

It seems right now I am entitled to do all the things I do. I can join as a representative and that seems to add the ability to be kicked out of being a representative… So, I would sign up because?
ImageNalates - Guild of Cartographers
Guild Apprentice: GoW, GoMa - Liaison: GoC to GoMe, GoC to SL (Nalates Urriah)
MO:UL 00 379 343 - Author: Uru Maps Tech Data
Nalates

Postby Trylon » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:09 pm

Representatives mean that you represent the guildmembers in our own little "house of representatives" (for lack of a better term).
Guild Representatives cast their votes on proposals that affect the GoW itself.
One day I ran through the cleft for the fiftieth time, and found that uru held no peace for me anymore.
Trylon

Postby J'Kla » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:15 pm

It was Grogyan not me but I would tend to agree.

If it was only Representatives that had voting rights I could understand that but to be honest I was only trying to sign up as a rep to be a good active member.

It seems I already was. :shock:

As for a house of representatives it's more like a garden shed than a house.
J'Kla

Postby Trylon » Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:29 pm

Well, basically it's just a fancy term for "list of people who care enough about how the GoW is organized to actually vote on proposals".
Since that would be a bit long for a name, we opted for "Representative" instead. :D

Having a list of people who'll vote is way easier than the "beg until 20% of the members finally voted" procedure we had before. ;)

Simply said: If you are willing to vote on proposals that affect GoW operations, please indicate so by signing up as a representative
One day I ran through the cleft for the fiftieth time, and found that uru held no peace for me anymore.
Trylon

Postby J'Kla » Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:32 pm

OK leave my name on the list... :)
J'Kla

Postby BAD » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:13 pm

BAD wrote:Edit: Representatives can create proposals to change the GOW, they can be appointed directors to run aspects of the guild, and they can vote on all submitted proposals.

I summed that up in this part of my post. Sorry it was brief, but I tagged it on 10 minutes after I posted the message initially when I realized I didn't actually describe what a Rep does.

What I find weird about this is that we had had weeks of discussion and promotion of this very idea. This only proves that our administrative part of the forum is mostly ignored.

When we say representative, we are not talking about promotion. When you go on other sites and direct people here your not representing the guild, you are promoting it. Just in the way that when you come here for advice on building an age, your not representing the guild, you are simply using it as a member.

When we say your a representative, you are representing the guild by being active in the administration of the guild. That can be done simply by casting a vote on a proposal, all the way to putting yourself up to be a councilor. No matter how small or large your contribution, your active in the running of the guild, and therefore are more than just a member.
BAD

Next

Return to Guild News