3DS Max Plugins are available

News pertaining to the site and the forums, as well as guild discussions and events in the world of Uru.

Re: 3DS Max Plugins are available

Postby rivenwanderer » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:01 am

Please post screenshots and commentary on how the plugin works when you guys get a chance! I don't have 3DS (or space for it on my Windows partition, in all likelihood) and will be away from the computer all day today... but this is so exciting, oh my goodness :)
rivenwanderer

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:06 am

I started a new article on the GoW Wiki.

It contains the latest troubleshooting information from the MOUL forums thread. If any of you solve the Age Description Manager problem, or have tested the plugin with 3DS Max 8, please update the article. And if you can produce a screenshot like Rivenwanderer requested, that would be fantastic!
Can we rebuild it? Yes, we can - here's how.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Myst Movie coming soon - spread the word!
Robert The Rebuilder

Postby Agenotfound » Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:02 pm

No idea of how the plugin works exactly yet but here is what I found after a 2 minutes exploration:

Plasma stuff is located here

here is the component manager window that allow you to add plasma function to max objects

for instance i select a link in point that i attach to this green box
how the rest of the properties are set for each plasma object is unclear

I know have an plane with some physics, a link-in point and a panick region (the big blue box) and a Page info object wich is probably to be set in this Age description manager that doesn't work.

the rest of the menu are

Save selected
merge
copy components

wich seems to duplicate Max functions

component manager (attribute plasma functions)
Ressources collector ( the header of the window says it point to the place it will save the resources)
Texture find and replace (self explanatory )
Age description manager (probably where you set the page info and the rest)

Scene viewer (According to Chogon it never worked)

lock
unlock
ResetXform
Select nonRend (select non rendered objects ?)

Exporting

there is the File/export wich propose the following format:

or this
File/Plasma Export

and as the page is not properly set this is the message we get ( so no export for now :( )

(WTH is a plasma Chapter ? :shock: )

If anyone find how to set the Plasma objects in more details please let me know !

also some funny plasma objects in component manager:

New/Ignore/Barney
New/render/ Unleash Satan :D
Agenotfound

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:19 pm

Robert The Rebuilder wrote:I started a new article on the GoW Wiki.

It contains the latest troubleshooting information from the MOUL forums thread. If any of you solve the Age Description Manager problem, or have tested the plugin with 3DS Max 8, please update the article. And if you can produce a screenshot like Rivenwanderer requested, that would be fantastic!

Removed "Where do I get 3dsm"... We do not support piracy

(WTH is a plasma Chapter ? :shock: )

Chapter is always "District" without the quotes. I don't recall if libHSPlasma actually cares about chapters, but if it does, you will find more information in libHSPlasma's plPageInfo implementation.

EDIT: PRD is an old format for which I have never encountered a file of. IIRC it also included PRX files. I used to know the format, but that was a long time ago. I believe it was from very early (pre-2003) beta.
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Postby ddb174 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:57 pm

Just so people will know how to test their Ages, here's what I said in the other thread:

"Yes, bugs can be introduced by conversion, but as people know from playing the Drizzle converted Moul Ages, they are almost entirely free of Drizzle introduced bugs. Just a few minor things. So yes, you can go ahead and create the prps with 3dsmax and the plugin, then use the Advanced->ManualConversion->Moul->ProcessASingleFile to convert the prps one by one. (If people actually start doing this, I'll make the process easier and more automatic.)"
ddb174

Postby ddb174 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:05 pm

Oh, and if someone would like to zip up and send me the files it exports for their Age, it will help me to figure out how to automate the process to make it easy on folks! My email is ddbernardAtSasktelDotNet. (Sorry for double-posting)
ddb174

Postby diafero » Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:03 pm

Unfortunately, these screenshots are far too small to actually ready anything :(

Chapter is always "District" without the quotes. I don't recall if libHSPlasma actually cares about chapters, but if it does, you will find more information in libHSPlasma's plPageInfo implementation.
As far as I saw, libHSPlasma just strips out the "District" - no Uru file I ever saw used another Chapter, and the whole concept obviously was removed for Myst V and HexIsle.

I wish you the best of luck to actually produce an exported age!
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Paradox » Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:09 pm

To view/set/manage the properties on all of those Plasma components, click the hammer icon in the toolbox. Then click the More... button and select Component Util.

Note that to export, you must add a Page Info component to every object in the scene that you want exported. Also note that adding any sort of physical colliders causes a plConversionUtils error on export :(

And don't click the Age Description Manager, you'll crash Max :P
Paradox

Postby ddb174 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:33 pm

Hey Paradox, it seems you have a copy of 3dsmax and have tested it. Could you send me the files exported from some simple test Age? (A cube is good enough :P)
ddb174

Postby Christian Walther » Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:33 pm

Robert The Rebuilder wrote:I started a new article on the GoW Wiki.

It would be nice if those working on documenting the Max plugin on the GoW wiki and those working on documenting it on the OpenURU.org wiki could work on some coordination, otherwise we end up with duplication of work at best and a big mess at worst.

(Cross-posted on OpenUru.org)
Christian Walther

PreviousNext

Return to Guild News