Site Upgrades

News pertaining to the site and the forums, as well as guild discussions and events in the world of Uru.

Re: Site Upgrades

Postby C.J.Herkeless » Wed May 02, 2012 2:03 pm

Looks awesome, feels awesome. Very nice job!
C.J.Herkeless

Postby Szark » Wed May 02, 2012 2:27 pm

Sweet job on the new look guys, yes I am liking it very much well done. :D
Szark

Postby Tweek » Wed May 02, 2012 5:55 pm

Looking good Lyro, thanks for this :D

My only comment is the blue links could do with being a different colour but aside from that it looks nice.
Beneath - IC Blog.
Beneath: Ages of Tweek - FB Age Dev Page.
Tweek

Postby Paradox » Wed May 02, 2012 9:04 pm

diafero wrote:Or, if that's not possible, maybe merge the two headers we currently have everywhere - below the GoW header, the board has a totally pointless "Forum" caption, and the search bar. That "Forum" can be removed ;-) and if you could put the search bar at the top right or somewhere else, that would save almost 100px. Similar for the wiki.

I've done this, and it moves things up the page by roughly 150px. Let me know if you think it's still too big.
Paradox

Postby Branan » Wed May 02, 2012 10:30 pm

I've tweaked the theme a bit more. At this point all three headers are identical, but the FORUM text here is gone. The search box sticks up into the header area for even more compactness. Any more than this would require changing all three themes. Especially now that we have a constant nav bar, it's important for the header to stay consistent in each area of the site. We can definitely consider making the header smaller, but the unified look and branding is something I don't think we should compromise on now that we have it.

All that being said, it's really up to Hoikas.
Your friendly neighborhood shard admin
Branan
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby diafero » Thu May 03, 2012 12:57 am

It's already much better in the board, thanks a lot! I still think the header should be shrunken, but it's definitely an improvement.

In the wiki, there is a space of 40 to 50 pixels between the end of the header, and the top of "Navigation" and the current wiki page title. I'm not a designer guy, but IMHO setting the padding-top of div#container to 0 (which removes 27 pixels) makes it look better, and it makes around two more lines of text visible. Maybe someone has a good idea how the "Page, Discussion, View Source, History" links could be changed in a way that they do not take up that much space? Oh, and speaking of integration, the headlines on wordpress pages look different (mainly, they are much smaller) than wiki page headers. Just sayin' ;-)

Especially now that we have a constant nav bar, it's important for the header to stay consistent in each area of the site. We can definitely consider making the header smaller, but the unified look and branding is something I don't think we should compromise on now that we have it.
I agree. I think the front page (http://www.guildofwriters.org) could be allowed to stick out by having a larger header, but the rest should really look the same.
Speaking of the nav bar, considering how small the actual links are, it takes quite some space already on its own. Can it be integrated with the banner somehow?
(this is more like brainstorming, I don't have any concrete ideas)

EDIT: Btw, I like the new forum/thread icons :)
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby janaba » Thu May 03, 2012 4:37 am

The search field looks great that way!!! It is so cool reading through the thoughts and proposals
and at the same time while examining everything seeing the things change in real time ... /cheer ... :P
janaba

Postby jamie_marchant » Thu May 03, 2012 7:57 am

Love the new theme, nice and easy to read : )
jamie_marchant

Postby janaba » Thu May 03, 2012 8:58 am

There's a 'Print View' which is headed with "Guild of Writers Masters of the Art" ... Has this always been there? ... Wonderful!!! ... :)
janaba

Postby johnsojc » Thu May 03, 2012 9:27 am

I tend to agree that the header is a bit too tall. I can barely see more than the first post on a page. (And for us older folks with failing eyesight, the font size is a tad small.) Didn't there used to be a control on the page to let you enlarge or shrink the font?
johnsojc

PreviousNext

Return to Guild News