PyPRP2 Beta 1 released

News pertaining to the site and the forums, as well as guild discussions and events in the world of Uru.

Re: PyPRP2 Beta 1 released

Postby Lontahv » Mon May 30, 2011 10:39 pm

The modifiers were put in the Constraints category because the Blender Modifiers category does not appear for non-visible objects like empties and cameras. Since LinkInPoint modifiers, for example, are generally attached to non-visible objects, the only option was to put the Plasma Modifiers in Constraints. Putting them in the Object category was considered but rejected because the Object category already has enough panels in it.

Edit: I'd also like the mention that the physics bounds options were taken directly from the names of the Plasma flags. In the future "explicit" may be merged with "proxy" for the sake of convenience. If this change occurs it will probably be connected with a major addition to the physics code, most likely when the convex-hull type is added.
Currently getting some ink on my hands over at the Guild Of Ink-Makers (PyPRP2).
Lontahv
Councilor of Artistic Direction

Postby kaelisebonrai » Tue May 31, 2011 4:57 am

Aloys wrote:"Bounds type: proxy" is a bit of a confusing name IMO. 'proxy' usually means that you use something else instead of the current object at hand; which is not happening here. Either 'triangle mesh' or 'actual object geometry' would be clearer. Or is that what the 'Explicit' setting is for? Or is that all temporary?

About the Page/Scene system. I haven't worked much with this system yet, but it seems that in the 3D view you cannot display objects from different scenes at the same time. In which case that is a deal-breaker. Even though objects are exported on different pages, we need to be able to work them together in the 3D view at times. Layers can be used to handle visibility. Maybe page assignation could be handled in the Plasma Modifiers panel.

Re: Proxy - Cyan often had objects named "proxy" that used this kind of setting... It was, after all, a physics proxy for another mesh. And PyPRP uses plasma's terminology for various things. >.>

Re: the page-scene system, I've already brought it up with branan and lon, and they're working on it. =P

Some people actually do use Scenes as pages already, by the way - GPNMilano for one. =)
kaelisebonrai

Postby Aloys » Tue May 31, 2011 6:45 am

Lontahv wrote:The modifiers were put in the Constraints category because the Blender Modifiers category does not appear for non-visible objects like empties and cameras.

Ha; that's a very good reason then. Beside, I agree that the object panel is crowded to death; and could use some cleaning. (for instance why waste a whole sub-panel for the transform locks?..)

Lontahv wrote:the physics bounds options were taken directly from the names of the Plasma flags. In the future "explicit" may be merged with "proxy" for the sake of convenience. If this change occurs it will probably be connected with a major addition to the physics code, most likely when the convex-hull type is added.
Ok, no hurry here. Do you have any idea yet how you will handle non-drawable collider meshes? Spelling out every single one in Alcscript is probably the biggest cause of alcscript bloat acurrently.. :/ (that's one third of my alcscripts in there).

Tachzusamm wrote:It's display is generated (automatically, AFAIK) by the Blender Python API, based on special custom properties.
You can simply ignore it.
Okey dokey.
Aloys

Postby Branan » Tue May 31, 2011 9:37 am

Aloys wrote:Ok, no hurry here. Do you have any idea yet how you will handle non-drawable collider meshes? Spelling out every single one in Alcscript is probably the biggest cause of alcscript bloat acurrently.. :/ (that's one third of my alcscripts in there).

There's a "drawable" checkbox in the Object properties that's enabled by default. Just uncheck it.
Your friendly neighborhood shard admin
Branan
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby Aloys » Tue May 31, 2011 9:45 am

"D'oh!" Thanks for the pointer. That's my new favorite feature. :)
Aloys

Postby Chacal » Tue May 31, 2011 1:12 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong. Do I correctly understand that I can use this for writing a no-frills Age (no wiring, no animation, no water, no books, etc) ?
Or for adding objects to an existing Age (in their own prp file)?

Branan wrote:A short list of features supported in this release:
  • Automatic vertex light baking
  • Alpha vertex paint
  • Multiple material layers
  • Spawn points
  • Lamps
  • Textures
  • Wireframe materials
  • Kickables
  • Sphere and Proxy physicals
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby Lontahv » Tue May 31, 2011 1:46 pm

Yes, it is suitable for writing no-frills ages.
Currently getting some ink on my hands over at the Guild Of Ink-Makers (PyPRP2).
Lontahv
Councilor of Artistic Direction

Postby Luna » Tue May 31, 2011 2:00 pm

In the end Minkata is also just a plane,collider,linkin point and a soccer ball.
Code: Select all
long longestTimeWithoutPlayingMoula = (new Date()) - (new Date(2014, 9, 26));
Luna

Postby bnewton81 » Tue May 31, 2011 3:41 pm

This new PyPRP is like a treasure hunt; the gift that keeps on giving. Every time I go to use a property of Blender I stumble over a new shiney "Plasma" toy. :)
Last edited by bnewton81 on Tue May 31, 2011 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bnewton81

Postby Aloys » Tue May 31, 2011 4:25 pm

Is there a way yet to copy Plasma Object properties ('is drawable' etc) between objects? It doesn't appear in the Copy menu.
Aloys

PreviousNext

Return to Guild News