GoW SSL Edition Reloaded(TM)

News pertaining to the site and the forums, as well as guild discussions and events in the world of Uru.

GoW SSL Edition Reloaded(TM)

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:00 pm

Just a heads up, the GoW site, forum, and wiki are now encrypted using SSL (HTTPS). You should notice that there is now a padlock being displayed by your browser, indicating that your connection is secure. This means that you can know for certain that you are connecting to the real Guild of Writers server, not the NSA. It should also be fairly difficult for a third party to decrypt anything you send to us. So, if you're sitting in a classroom on Wifi, that geek sitting beside you can't sniff out your forum password anymore. :P

Please note that this improvement means that people using any version of Internet Explorer on Windows XP can no longer visit this site. But, if you're using Windows XP you deserve much worse anyway. ;)
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Re: GoW SSL Edition Reloaded(TM)

Postby diafero » Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:30 pm

Yay, I've been waiting for this since forever, thanks a lot :)

Now, I wonder whether there's a way to get rid of the many "mixed-content warnings" you get because of people linking to images (in posts or signatures) over http... probably not :-/ . I mean, there is the CSP "upgrade-insecure-requests", but that probably goes too far and upgrades even links to other domains, which we can't know actually properly support https.
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Deledrius » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:44 am

diafero wrote:Yay, I've been waiting for this since forever, thanks a lot :)

Now, I wonder whether there's a way to get rid of the many "mixed-content warnings" you get because of people linking to images (in posts or signatures) over http... probably not :-/ . I mean, there is the CSP "upgrade-insecure-requests", but that probably goes too far and upgrades even links to other domains, which we can't know actually properly support https.

Unfortunately, there's no automatic way to guarantee that even if a server supports both protocols that it would always be supplying the same resource. :/
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby Karkadann » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:48 pm

Tsar Hoikas wrote:Please note that this improvement means that people using any version of Internet Explorer on Windows XP can no longer visit this site. But, if you're using Windows XP you deserve much worse anyway. ;)

Ouch, its unfortunate that Max 7, Cyan's plasma plug-ins and a lot of the age writing programs used in conjunction with Max 7 work best on XP.
XP was one of the better Windows operating systems from what they tell me, I guess it was time to move on.

Thanks for the heads up
The Optimist see's the glass half full, The Pessimist see's the glass half empty.
Its the Realist who see's the glass is half full with air, half full with water
Karkadann

Postby Deledrius » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:44 am

Karkadann wrote:
Tsar Hoikas wrote:Please note that this improvement means that people using any version of Internet Explorer on Windows XP can no longer visit this site. But, if you're using Windows XP you deserve much worse anyway. ;)

Ouch, its unfortunate that Max 7, Cyan's plasma plug-ins and a lot of the age writing programs used in conjunction with Max 7 work best on XP.
XP was one of the better Windows operating systems from what they tell me, I guess it was time to move on.

Thanks for the heads up

Well, other browsers will still work (if they have XP versions available -- Firefox does) so long as they support secure encryption. IE ceased getting updates along with the OS, so you're kinda stuck if somehow you're still using it (but that's pretty scary). I agree about XP being awesome though. Microsoft made a good OS there, and it's hard moving on from that.
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Return to Guild News