Ah, that would be my Canyon
pet project, mentioned earlier in the topic ! The canyon itself is quite huge, and goes very far towards the horizon.
Because of the object's size, I made it very detailed to break its monotony.
The problem is I have a bad habit of not caring about optimizing meshes while I'm building - because it's annoying to do, and because I often have to tweak the mesh to fit other buildings, and therefore must keep the original mesh intact.
Long story short: the canyon was a single mesh with no details at first. Then I added detail using subsurf and a displacement map, but did not split the mesh when doing so. Meaning: the amount of detail was the same at closeup and at the horizon - which is very far, and thus is a complete waste of vertices.
To keep the number of polygons low, I only recently split the mesh into several parts, so I can use different settings for the Decimate modifier I'm using: closer parts now receive more vertices, while parts at the horizon receive almost nothing. This way, I use less vertices while keeping the same amount of detail.
Here is the canyon, split into multiple objects. The central (pink) part is the detailed one, and detail decreases as we approach the edges of the image.
- Show Spoiler
The reason I was so reluctant to split it, was because in order to do so I must carefully re-fold the edges of each mesh so no seam can be found between two different meshes (the way I'm building it, seams are easy to spot). And that's pretty damn long to do.
Anyway, back to topic.
I finally had a peek at the logic node system, to wire a Python file to some simple logic... Awesome ! It's simple, intuitive, and it's impossible to link two incompatible nodes together.
The logic system I used worked at the first export without any need to manually edit the PRP. That's just great
I'm having some trouble setting up dynamicenvmaps for wavesets, though... I simply setup an envmap for the material, which is exported, but attempting to read it in PrpShop crashes the program. Obviously Uru doesn't like it either, and simply ignores it, resulting in white wavesets.
For now I manually added an envmap to the PRP, but if you have pointers on how to set it up correctly...