Server Maintenance (Jan 2, 2016)

News pertaining to the site and the forums, as well as guild discussions and events in the world of Uru.

Server Maintenance (Jan 2, 2016)

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:07 pm

Hi all,

Tonight, beginning around 23:00 UTC (though probably it will start later) there will be a planned downtime of the majority of the Guild of Writers services including the website, forum, wiki, subversion, and the Gehn Shard. Deep Island and IRC will not be affected. When the maintenance begins, all services will appear to be "down." The purpose of this downtime is to upgrade* the server capabilities and improve website performance. The entire process should take no more than 5 hours. Please note that when the downtime is over, you may not be able to access the website, forum, or wiki for an amount of time due to the need for some updated information to be propagated across the internet.

* We will actually be moving to a brand spanking new server. We are currently on a VPS, which means that what we have looks a lot like a real server, but it's really just one of several virtual machines running on one physical box. We have our own physical box now :)
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Re: Server Maintenance (Jan 2, 2016)

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:05 pm

The site, forum, wiki, and Gehn Shard should now be functioning roughly as expected. I know that the Gehn Shard signatures aren't behaving totally correctly right now. I just need a break :). There is still more work to be done. Please point out anything that isn't working as expected!
Tsar Hoikas

Postby Deledrius » Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:18 am

Thanks for doing the migration, Hoikas!
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby janaba » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:03 am

Tsar Hoikas wrote:We will actually be moving to a brand spanking new server. We are currently on a VPS, which means that what we have looks a lot like a real server, but it's really just one of several virtual machines running on one physical box. We have our own physical box now :)

Great, Adam!!! That sounds really noble and exquisite ... :P

I just wanted to mention that the Wiki appears to be missing, because it has the wrong url, this is the right one 'https://guildofwriters.org/wiki/Main_Page' ... That's all, maybe you've seen it already ... :)
janaba

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:39 am

I've fixed the Gehn Shard signature images. There was also a bug in which certain browsers (Chrome and Firefox for Android) reported that the site looked like it was hacked--this has been corrected as well. We were not hacked, there was just a problem with how I was presenting our SSL certificate. I have also corrected the issue of the https://guildofwriters.org/wiki being changed to https://guildofwriters.org/wiki/Wiki
Tsar Hoikas

Postby Acorn » Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:06 am

Great news, thank you!
Acorn

Postby Nev'yn » Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:11 pm

Is IRC still down? Was try trying to get online last night...but then I noticed Gehn was down, too.
Anys, Hoikas...do you have a time we could chat this week?

Let me know, thanks!!!
KI# 14883206 | "The truth speaks for itself, I am just the messenger." -Lyta Alexander
(Note: Any comments or opinions, taken whole or in part, are mine and do not reflect the stance of GoMe.)
Nev'yn

Postby Deledrius » Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:26 pm

IRC was only down momentarily for the migration. It hasn't experienced any other interruptions. Make sure you're connecting to irc.guildofwriters.org, as there was a DNS change on the relays due to the migration.
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby Nev'yn » Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:51 pm

Yeah, it was a issue on GoMe side... Sorry about that. Loose ends from the reorganization.

;)
KI# 14883206 | "The truth speaks for itself, I am just the messenger." -Lyta Alexander
(Note: Any comments or opinions, taken whole or in part, are mine and do not reflect the stance of GoMe.)
Nev'yn

Return to Guild News