Korman 0.05 Released!

News pertaining to the site and the forums, as well as guild discussions and events in the world of Uru.

Re: Korman 0.05 Released!

Postby dendwaler » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:20 am

The same kind of error message is generated if a by the user specified uv map is missing, ( a shadowmap made by the user as example)
However the message gives no clue which object was involved.

Then you have to browse through all your objects to find it.
Those wonderfull Worlds are called " Ages" , because that is what it takes to build one.

Watch my latest Video Or even better..... watch the Cathedral's Complete Walkthrough made by Suleika!
dendwaler

Postby dendwaler » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:57 am

Today i asigned new materials to all objects in my age.
I shared every material as often as possible between objects and gave them a nice name, so i reduced the total number of materials drasticaly.
This is the only way to make a larger age and sharing materials is a normal workflow .
Well the export result is a complete mess. All objects have a wrong shadowmap.

With closer look to it, i notice that it seems to go wrong when an object has multiple materials.
In those cases, material 1 needs only a part of the total UVmap and material 2 the other part.
It looks however that the total uv map is applied to both materials concerning the shadowmap .
That seems the reason i could not use shared materials.

Here is an example of an an entrance with a door inside, this is an object with 2 materials.
Entrance of stone with wooden bow above the doors is object 1
then 2 objects (left and right handed door ) with the same wooden material as the entrance bow.
You see the complete map of the entrance together with the maps of the doors used as a shadowmap for the doors.
The doors have only 1 material , but it is shared with the entrance.

I hope you can see what i try to explain.

Those wonderfull Worlds are called " Ages" , because that is what it takes to build one.

Watch my latest Video Or even better..... watch the Cathedral's Complete Walkthrough made by Suleika!
dendwaler

Postby Deledrius » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:52 am

You're not alone. I've been running into these bugs too, but haven't figured out what's going on.

It looks like you've narrowed it down, so hopefully Hoikas will be able to use this to understand what's wrong here. Thank you for putting in so much work to debug that problem! :D
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby dendwaler » Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:44 pm

I have good hope hè will.
ii might be able to suggest a possible solution.
If i am right the materials of different objects are combined and after that a shadowmap map is created for the whole bunch.
However before adding the uv map of an object you have to make sure to add only the uv faces from the intended material.
So first go to edit mode of the object.
Deselect all faces.
Go to material prperties and select the material(s) you don't want to add.
activate the 3D window.
Hide those faces.
Now activate the remaing faces an add the remaing faces to the totalmap.
Go back to the 3D window, unhide all faces.
Deactivate all.
Repelt this proces until you mapped all faces of Each material.
In the very end activate all faces and go to object mode.

That is the workflow i would do manually and i think is also required for the script.

dendwaler

Postby dendwaler » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:38 pm

As a little test i "parted " the wooden bow in the entrance by selecting the faces using the material properties.
So it is an separate object now. and entrance one and entrance 2 each contain one material.
then after making them single user of the material it was ok again.

but as soon as i share the wooden material between the bow and both doors its wrong again and you see the bow map in the door.
... and this is with a single material!

That implies that in the current situation its only possible to make proper lightmaps if:
1) you have only 1 material in each object.
2) you do not share a material between objects.

If the age grows you will reach the moment that plasma does not accept more materials to fast.
Then you see the object appearing without shadowmaps.
I hope this gives a bit insight to you.

As a final remark , the previews of the shadowmaps are correct for the individual objects in each situation.

dendwaler

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:27 pm

Please keep sharing everything you find dendwaler. This is all extremely useful information... I'm not certain what's going on here, but I have lots of thoughts--I'll need some dedicated time to sit down and look at both Korman and URU's code at the same time.
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Postby dendwaler » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:44 pm

I will do that, but i reached a point that makes it hard to be able to continue.
I wil prepare a few blendfiles for you during the day(s).
1) The blendfiles of this current age without shared materials.(The one where the shadowmap disappeared for a few object because of possibly an overflow)Then if you disable a few random objects its back to normal again.I assume this one is perfect to see what happens in plasma, and you cant use here a small example.
2) The same blendfie but now with shared materials.

3 )I will try to make one or two very small blendfiles with as least as possible materials and objects, but where the noticed problems do exist.
Assuming this will help the making debugging a lot easyer.
Here i regret that i cant hardly read or am able to code myself.( besides the old Basic)

dendwaler

Postby dendwaler » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:39 am

I think to have found something important!
As i said i would try to isolate the problems as simple as possible.
So i took the object that triggered me.
Here you see it duplicated 5 times, but all slightly turned to get different lightmaps.

But also the object settings are a little different.
The only door with a wrong lightmap is number 4.

and i think to know why!
First tell you the diffrences in the objects.
Door left (number 1) contains 4 objects with 1 material each.
a left door
a right door
a wooden bow above the door
and the stone entrance around the whole.

The second door has only 3 objects
a left door 1 material
a right door 1 material
and the entrance with bow 2 materials

The third door is exactly the same as the second door, only slightly turned.

So my conclusion is here, that 2 materials in one object gives no problem!

The third and the fifth door are the same as the second door only different positioned and turned.
You see that both got two different lightmaps , they differ from the second door.

Door 4 is the interesting one, it has shared materials with door 3
Because it is the same angle as door 5 , it should have been lighted as door 5

But it looks like it took over the lightmap from door3 but the preview lightmap tells me a different story.
In a closer look you notice that it is also a bit darker then door 3

I predict that is the addition of lightmap 3 with lightmap 5!

Korman goes through each lightmapped object, selects all the vertices, applies uv mapping as you describe here, and switches to a temporary lightmap texture. Then Korman bakes batches of objects that have the same layer selections to those temporary textures.

Referring to this quote, you combine the materials into batches, i think you forgot that the combined batch will have overlap again for each object in 1 batch,
because each object was projected and completely filling the same sized area of the uvpack frame, inside the editor,
and because the uvlayout for door 3 and 5 are the same , they have perfect fitting overlap and add to each other .
So when it would have been a different object , it will result in a mess.

Probably the solution is that you have to perform a new "crtr P" to repack all those overlapped uv maps again in your combined, temporarely material layer.

dendwaler

Postby dendwaler » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:00 am

Well I lose the bet i made yesterday,

the lightmap in door 4 is not an addition its a pure copy of the lightning of door 3, its not darker as i thought.

I did additional test to find that.
as you can see in the next screenshot.

I beamed a green spotlight on door 3

and on door 4 i projected a red spot and on door 5 on the same place also a red spot .

If it was an addition of lightmaps then on door 4 would have been visible both, the green and the red spot.
Since it is only the green spot that appears it must be a copy.

So its all a bit more complicated.

Are these kind of tests helpfull ?
If so, i will continue, at some point it must become clear i think.

here are both lightmaps generated for the door 3 and for door 4
as you see these lightmaps are generated absolutely good!, because 3 has the green spot and four has the red spot.
(a bit difficult to see, but its there.)
So why is this lightmap not used?

dendwaler

Postby dendwaler » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:11 am

another issue,

There exist a problem with regions

You can't build above a panic region , even if nothing crosses the region borders!
In the test age "example" i point this out.
you can export this age as ,( the region is initionaly disabled as plasma object) and all works fine!
If you enablethe panic region as plasma object and export it again, then you will panic link on places where you should not.

Besides that this example includes my former lightning tests.
textures are included and will be loaded well if you use a relative path setup.
The texture map and the blend file both inside another map.(as provided)
Attachments
Test.7z
(396.63 KiB) Downloaded 636 times

dendwaler

PreviousNext

Return to Guild News