Korman 0.10 Released

News pertaining to the site and the forums, as well as guild discussions and events in the world of Uru.

Korman 0.10 Released

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:06 am

Behold! Korman 0.10 has swept across the land. Korman 0.10 represents 76 commits and approximately 3,600 lines of code changed since the previous version. Please note that no progress has been made toward making Korman compatible with Blender 2.80 (and above). Therefore this release will only function on Blender 2.79b.

Changes in this release:
  • Added Dynamic Decals (including: footprints, ripples, puddles, and print shapes)
  • Added Lamp Flare Template
  • Added Linking Book Template
  • Added Linking Book Modifier
  • Added MultiStage Behavior Nodes
  • Added support for Blender Blend textures
  • Added the ability to copy and paste a set of modifiers to a selection of objects
  • Added the ability to export the Age and launch URU directly into the Age from Blender
  • Fixed a potential traceback in the exporter resulting from the ageresources directory being missing in Path of the Shell
  • Fixed a potential traceback in the exporter resulting from warning messages in the Animation Group modifier
  • Fixed a traceback in the exporter resulting from exporting projection lamps
  • Fixed a traceback in the exporter resulting from textures on a nonexistent or disconnected HDD
  • Fixed a traceback when attempting to set the collision bounds of an Exclude Region
  • Fixed an issue in which Age Global SDL may not function when using packed Python in CWE/MOUL
  • Fixed an issue in which artist supplied light groups may not be used to bake vertex colors on export
  • Fixed an issue in which multiple dynamic environment maps could make the Age appear "all black" in CWE/MOUL
  • Fixed an issue in which Enable/Disable Nodes could not change the physics state in Path of the Shell
  • Fixed an issue in which Exclude Region Nodes could not be linked to Python File Nodes
  • Fixed an issue in which kickables would fall through the floor when contacted in Path of the Shell
  • Fixed an issue in which Python File Mods may not function properly if the node tree is shared among multiple pages
  • Fixed an issue in which special linking animations (eg FishBookLinkOut) would not properly resume on link-in
  • Fixed an issue in which the age name could get corrupted by the old file manager modal dialog
  • Fixed an issue in which the previous Age's fog may persist
  • *Fixed many issues related to region/collider exporting in Path of the Shell
  • Fixed an issue in which empty node sockets might not spawn at the end of the list
  • Fixed exporting meshes as double-sided
  • Fixed several issues resulting in incorrect Soft Volume export resulting in questionable in-game results
  • Fixed several potential issues preventing Python File Nodes from functioning in Path of the Shell
  • Fixed two issues in which runtime shadow quality and shadow results were negatively impacted
  • Fixed two issues with packed sounds that could result in corrupted or unexpected sound exports
  • Improved exported Age efficiency by sharing vertex buffers among many objects
  • Improved the Enable/Disable Node by allowing it to disable modifiers, such as ladders
  • **Optimized collider convex hull export

Please remember that Korman is still in beta (that's why the first number in the version is a zero)--don't shoot if there are bugs!

* This means there should no longer be any need to "apply position, rotation, and scale" to any regions or other colliders.
** In my testing, the generation of 100 convex hulls went from taking 17s to 2.55s.
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Re: Korman 0.10 Released

Postby jkcui1687 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:26 pm

Thanks for all the hard work! Wish I was a bit more coding savvy, as I would love to contribute to it someday.

I'm giving this a spin tonight to test with DI Shard.
~JKC
jkcui1687

Postby ametist » Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:00 pm

Thank you for the new version! All those fixes!./thumbs up
I am glad it still works with blender 2.79, 2.8 is a whole new beast to conquer and I have not come very far with that ;)
ametist

Postby Sirius » Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:22 am

Great work ! Dynamic decals are cool, and MSB can do wonders when combined with Python scripting...

Tsar Hoikas wrote:* This means there should no longer be any need to "apply position, rotation, and scale" to any regions or other colliders.

I will hunt down and torture any builder who doesn't apply scale to all their objects :twisted:
Just kidding, but not applying scale is still bad practice. In my experience, a whole lot of things can go wrong because of non default scale.
Good job fixing those pesky collisions ! I had similar problems in ZLZ because of all the different ways Uru handles colliders (and all the different ways Cyan's artist messed up with non default object scaling :roll: ).

jkcui1687 wrote:Thanks for all the hard work! Wish I was a bit more coding savvy, as I would love to contribute to it someday.

Using it and reporting bugs is a good way to contribute too !

ametist wrote: I am glad it still works with blender 2.79, 2.8 is a whole new beast to conquer and I have not come very far with that ;)

I've been using it for a few weeks now. Even after all the hours spent with it I still can't get over the new keybinding and UI design. I wonder whether I'm biased because I'm used to the old way of doing things, which somehow feels much more efficient to me.
Still. Eevee and the new material editor both rock !
Sirius

Postby Aloys » Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:12 am

Sweet! Thanks for keeping up the great work Adam!

Added the ability to export the Age and launch URU directly into the Age from Blender

Nice! Anything that can speed up testing is a plus in my book.

MultiStage Behavior Nodes

I know some of those words.. I'm pretty sure I have no idea how to use those.

*Fixed many issues related to region/collider exporting in Path of the Shell
* This means there should no longer be any need to "apply position, rotation, and scale" to any regions or other colliders.

Great. This was a real problem so far. That should save quite a bit of time and trouble on some scenes..

I will hunt down and torture any builder who doesn't apply scale to all their objects

This is a complicated one though. There are large scenes were you want to have instances of objects and change their scale (like outdoors scenes with trees). But if you apply the scale and save then that means you can no longer change those if you need to... You have to delete the wrongly scaled object, take another one, copy it, reposition/rerotate it in place, and then re-scale it properly. That can waste quite a bit of time. It's one of those things where it's really better if the tools can take care of it automatically.

Fixed an issue in which the previous Age's fog may persist

I saw that one a while ago, that was a big WTH moment.. New saw it again though, I thought I was crazy..

I am glad it still works with blender 2.79, 2.8 is a whole new beast to conquer and I have not come very far with that

The new UI and shortcuts are okay I guess, but forgetting years of habits is hard.... It's all a matter of practice, and still using 2.79 for Uru stuff won't help. :lol: But that's okay; I like 2.79.
Aloys

Return to Guild News