Korman 0.12 Released

News pertaining to the site and the forums, as well as guild discussions and events in the world of Uru.

Korman 0.12 Released

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:46 am

The kraken has risen from the depths and has identified itself as Korman 0.12. Korman 0.12 represents 116 commits with approximately 5,500 lines of code changed since the previous version. For download links and release notes, please see the linked wiki page.

This version of Korman begins the inevitable work of deprecating our support for Blender 2.79b. With this release, a new platform called "Blender for Korman" is being introduced. For this release, we simultaneously support "Blender for Korman" and Blender 2.79b. However, this is the last version of Korman to support Blender 2.79b. I encourage everyone to try "Blender for Korman" and let us know of any ciritcal issues with the platform. Additionally, a significant amount of scaffolding has been done to support GUIs in the future, particularly around allowing a single object or texture to export multiple animations.
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Re: Korman 0.12 Released

Postby dendwaler » Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:03 am

thx for the new version of Korman.
I tried both versions and by exporting i get error messages as shown in the picture.
When i export the same file in Korman 11a , there is no error at all.
Can you shine some light on the issue?
Those wonderfull Worlds are called " Ages" , because that is what it takes to build one.

Watch my latest Video Or even better..... watch the Cathedral's Complete Walkthrough made by Suleika!
dendwaler

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:46 am

Whoops. This is my fault. A few days before the release, we found that objects with negative scaling were exporting wrong. I fixed that, but it looks like I accidentally broke convex hulls in the process. :oops: I will publish Korman 0.12a within the hour to fix the problem.

EDIT: done
Last edited by Tsar Hoikas on Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Update
Tsar Hoikas

Postby dendwaler » Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:35 am

I can confirm that the export works smooth now, thx for the fast developped fix!

i wondered now you choosed the path to merge "blender" into Korman or it will be possible in the future to loan some elements from later (higher) versions of blender as well.

As an example , i do prefer the " collections" above the 10 layers we have now.
the collections can be virtually endless and makes it easier to group a number of objects. that belong together.
Its easier to find and to edit .

Another example is the new "asset browser" which will be part of Blender 3.0
Those wonderfull Worlds are called " Ages" , because that is what it takes to build one.

Watch my latest Video Or even better..... watch the Cathedral's Complete Walkthrough made by Suleika!
dendwaler

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:41 pm

I think there are a number of good features in the new Blender releases, but there are lots of pitfalls as well. Unfortunately, I don't really know the Blender codebase well enough to do much more than fix major bugs, so I wouldn't be too hopeful about any new Blender features,
Tsar Hoikas

Postby Sirius » Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:37 am

At this point it would probably be easier to just run on 2.79 a bit longer then make the big switch to 2.9x (well, probably Blender 3.xx by then).

Personally I prefer the workflow in 2.79 anyway. Eevee is insanely cool, but the UI and workflow feel tighter in 2.79 IMHO. But that's just a matter of preferences of course.
Sirius

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:35 pm

I count the so-called "Evee" among the the "pitalls" ;)
Tsar Hoikas

Postby Aloys » Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:42 pm

It took me a while to convert to 2.9 for my non Uru related works, but I really like it now. (and it's quite unpleasant constantly switching from one to another...) 2.79 feel really old in many ways, and lack some really important features.. (what I miss most in 2.79 is the ability to edit several meshes at the same time..)
That being said 2.79 really does the job; and I've always thought forking it and trim all the extra fat to make it "our" Uru Blender was the way to go..
Aloys

Postby Sirius » Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:08 am

In any case, I still like and endorse the software. It's one of the last few FOSS that can compete with commercial software while holding true to its ideals of freedom'n'stuff. Can't even trust Audacity or Firefox these days...

Aloys wrote:I've always thought forking it and trim all the extra fat to make it "our" Uru Blender was the way to go.

Hmm, I'd be a bit wary of having to support and improve our own version of Blender, when so far all we need is accessible through the Python API (even with all its quirks).
Ideally, yeah, having a dedicated Plasma editor would be great. But then I'm not even sure basing it off an "opinionated" framework like Blender is a good idea. That didn't really work out for me with UPlasma, at least. But fortunately we're not there yet.
Sirius

Postby dendwaler » Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:41 am

It seems that since the last update the node " animation command " is broken.
Former working animations do not longer animate.
I have added an animation triggerd by the button inside my testage .
It does not work, but it should work in my opinion.
I noticed that the animated object is not longer black , i did not see this earlier because i had already added an " empty parent"
to all my animated objects, as was suggested.
I am afraid i have messed up a lot now, well s...t happens.
Here is the link to the testage
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QoCURn ... sp=sharing

dendwaler

Next

Return to Guild News