Proposal: Wind Directions

A community Age for Uru.

Moderator: Aloys

Proposal: Wind Directions

Postby Paradox » Sun May 11, 2008 10:10 pm

We've got Wavesets working in the development copy of PyPRP, and in the future we'll hopefully have all sorts of particles and wavesets and fun things.

However, wavesets and particles take a vector Wind Direction that affects them. For wavesets the effect doesn't seem too noticeable, but as people start building shells, it would be nice for each district to have a uniformity in the wavesets.

My proposal is that the overall wind be at an angle of 60° (standard position). The wind of each district would be affected by this overall wind as well.
I've attached an image that shows some proposals, but if someone who knows wind patterns comes along, feel free to correct it :)
Attachments
AhraPahtsWind.jpg
Proposed Wind Vectors in Ahra Pahts
AhraPahtsWind.jpg (730.46 KiB) Viewed 3518 times
Paradox

Re: Proposal: Wind Directions

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Mon May 12, 2008 5:12 am

Can these wavesets be used for fabric rippling effects (e.g. banners/flags waving)?
Can we rebuild it? Yes, we can - here's how.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Myst Movie coming soon - spread the word!
Robert The Rebuilder

Postby greendragoon » Mon May 12, 2008 6:10 am

I'm going to take a shot in the dark and say that a flag would normally be an animated mesh. From what I've seen of wavesets, they are a texturing trick to make water ripple, but they don't actually affect the geometry. But I think your right, this will be something that the various shell owners will need to take into consideration.
Robert "greendragoon" Starbuck
As Long as there is MORE,
I will explore.
And as long as my Relto shelf is unfilled,
I will build.
greendragoon

Location: Stuck in Indiana because the cavern door is locked.

Postby Aloys » Mon May 12, 2008 7:42 am

That's an interesting point, I hadn't given this any thought so far. (mostly because I had no idea such a thing existed in the first place)
Two questions:
How is this wind direction setting set? Like, is it this something that must be set only once for the whole Age? (There is no such thing like that in the .fni file)
And is if it is a 'global' setting for the whole Age can this be overwritten locally for some particle system? (like if someone want to make a fountain inside a room that shouldn't be affected by the wind..)
Aloys

Postby Nadnerb » Mon May 12, 2008 7:59 am

The wind direction is set by a vector parameter inside the individual waveset. As for particle systems, I'm not sure, but it's quite likely that particle systems in separate pages wouldn't affect each other.

Also, wavsets apparently do affect the geometry. They have the ability to make the surface move and ripple if it is heavily subdivided, but most of the time, cyan tends to stick with just using the texture state. (and not the geometry state) For an exception, try checking out the edges of the pool in Eder Kemo, which move if you watch closely. ;)

However, wavesets are not suited for flags, cloth, or any geometry except water. (and even unsuitable for some water) No matter the shape of the geometry, they are always flat and horizontal, (except for the ripples) because all the geometry is flattened at the "WaterHeight" value in z. (not to mention they take a host of other water-specific parameters, and an environment map)
Live KI: 34914 MOULa KI: 23247 Gehn KI: 11588 Available Ages: TunnelDemo3, BoxAge, Odema
Nadnerb

Return to Ahra Pahts