Update: Shells ready, v1 finally coming, and Shells Contest

A community Age for Uru.

Moderator: Aloys

Re: Update: Shells ready, v1 finally coming, and Shells Contest

Postby Aloys » Tue May 20, 2008 8:49 am

Nadnerb wrote:I don't know, I think it might be best to try to make a new release specifically for the contest... 1.3.1 really isn't even what I would consider "stable", and as a result, just about everyone is using either an older version, or the nightly build.

A new 'stable' version would be cool of course, but really it's up to you.
I agree there shouldn't be any restriction on the version used, but I think Robert's point was mostly about the fact that last time a new version was introduced in the middle of the contest which added some new features, and not everyone had the time to use them. If guess you release a new version with added features after the beginning of the contest we could have a rule where we can't use those new features to make sure everyone is on an equal foot.
Aloys

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Tue May 20, 2008 8:55 am

Perhaps there should be a big disclaimer on the contest that says participants can use any version of the plugin they want - and, for those of us who have the ability, we can even modify their plugin to include as-yet-unimplemented features. The disclaimer would state that all participants must accept this and thus waive any rights to complain about perceived advantages during the competition.

This wouldn't be very fair, but there really is no way to force the participants to use the same version. We can't have the judges snoop their hard drives, can we? ;-)
Can we rebuild it? Yes, we can - here's how.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Myst Movie coming soon - spread the word!
Robert The Rebuilder

Postby Paradox » Tue May 20, 2008 9:02 am

My other question is whether the shell must be released as exported by PyPRP, or whether you can manually hex edit the exported objects.

I do nearly as much work in hex as I do in Blender sometimes >.>
Paradox

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Tue May 20, 2008 9:41 am

If we added the requirement that each shell must be released as exported by PyPRP, then the judges could check whether you had used the agreed-upon version of the plugin by doing a byte-per-byte comparison against a PRP that they exported (if we also require the shell authors to submit their blend file and all supporting data files). But even then, there must be some system-specific variations (e.g. paths) that would cause differences.

So, I advocate for not having such a requirement. You deliver a PRP file, no questions asked as to where it came from.

---

Another question: how do we ensure that the shell author has not been developing the shell prior to the contest? I don't think its possible to enforce this, but on the other hand I don't think people should submit entries that have been worked on for months.

I guess we'll just have to be honest? :o
Can we rebuild it? Yes, we can - here's how.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Myst Movie coming soon - spread the word!
Robert The Rebuilder

Postby Aloys » Tue May 20, 2008 9:56 am

You deliver a PRP file, no questions asked as to where it came from.
I agree, the simpler the better.

how do we ensure that the shell author has not been developing the shell prior to the contest?
Simple: we don't. :p In fact, even for the previous contest I wouldn't be surprised if some of the contestants had started work on their Age long before the contest was announced. (For one I think Trylon talked about Abyssos long ago).

I guess we'll just have to be honest? :o
I hope we can trust most of the people on this board. ;)
But then again, it's not like it really matters a lot IMO. This contest is mostly for fun, and there is no real 'competition'. It's mostly an occasion for everyone to work toward a goal and release something. So rules and details like that are not really important (to me anyway).

Dox wrote:I do nearly as much work in hex as I do in Blender sometimes >.>

Heh, whatever floats your boat. As long as it enables you to make another cool shell. :P
Aloys

Postby Nadnerb » Tue May 20, 2008 9:59 am

Well, if people were required to submit blend files, then it would be possible to check the creation date on them. For most people though, this would still be pretty easy to fool, but if anyone goes to the trouble of actually trying to fool the judges, then they've really missed the whole point of the contest anyway. :P (to encourage more age building)

I agree that there should be no restrictions on the method of creation. It's ridiculous to ask the developers to stop working just because there is a contest going on, and I say "stop working" because everyone has equal access to any version of pyprp they want through the subversion repository, and a restriction on plugin version is both inconvenient for just about everyone, and quite nearly unenforceable. There should be no expectation of an "equal footing", because none of this changes the fact that some people just know more about plasma than others.

Plasma features are not a substitute for artistic ability, and the contest should be judged as such.
Live KI: 34914 MOULa KI: 23247 Gehn KI: 11588 Available Ages: TunnelDemo3, BoxAge, Odema
Nadnerb

Postby mar » Tue May 20, 2008 10:44 am

Is there also a possibility to send in your shell where is worked on allready but with new content made in the time of the contest :?:
mar

Postby Trylon » Tue May 20, 2008 2:47 pm

Aloys wrote: (For one I think Trylon talked about Abyssos long ago).

I did?

Actually I did the age in the second week of the competition iirc. I might have had the basic idea a little before, but that could've only been a few weeks before the competition max...
One day I ran through the cleft for the fiftieth time, and found that uru held no peace for me anymore.
Trylon

Postby Aloys » Tue May 20, 2008 2:57 pm

Mar: sure. :)

Trylon: must have been that, that or I saw the name on the Sequence Prefix list, but I just checked it and I can't find it anymore.. I seem to remember you talked about it long ago; maybe on the old AB forum.. Maybe my memory is just flaky.
Aloys

Postby Grogyan » Wed May 21, 2008 12:07 am

Actually I have thought about another contest, the last one had its ups n downs, but I reckon we can setup another contest fairly soon.

In a private conversation with Trylon on the first RAD contest, we both wanted it to be themed, but in reality, because it was the first, it maybe too hinder some for many.

My personal feelings
- that a set Version of the GoW PyPrp be used, keeping it a level playing field eg GoWPyPrp200.zip
- not having people submit their blend files, which could have broken images (thats what I got when I tried Andys)
- be a single person effort this time (but what about music, I want to hear more music)
- id like to have this next contest be Ahra Pahts Shell themed, ie doing anything you want for Ahra
- NEED a set place to upload Ages/shells, idea for asking the GoMa for server space did cross my mind
- wait until ULM 2.0 is released making it easier for new comers to Ahra
- a sign up sheet for all participants to put their name down.
- same 2 week build, 1 week judge
- REWARD, no not talking about obtaining an FCL, but rather than a "Hall of Fame" and a picture gallery on the front page to the Guild of Writers.
- i'd like to hear from Cyantist(s) (may or may not be a judge) commenting on the entries
- id also like this to be like a bi-annual event every 6 months starting in July/June

My shell needs much much more work done on it and i'm busy in RL too, so I won't be able to enter this time around
Better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all
Grogyan

PreviousNext

Return to Ahra Pahts