Ahra Pahts weekly update #2

A community Age for Uru.

Moderator: Aloys

Ahra Pahts weekly update #2

Postby Aloys » Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:16 am

First of all I am sorry about the lack of communication on my part these last days, that's because I was out of internet connection since last sunday thanks to my ISP, I only got it back a couple hours ago.. :( The good side of this is that I spent less time on the net and more on actual work. I have a new version almost ready, but since I have one planned for friday anyway, I'd rather wait until then and use the remaining days to polish it.

There is plenty of new stuff coming. We could call this version the 'orientation' version as it is all about maps, direction signs, and shells numbers plaques. This took me quite a lot of time to complete (especially all those shell numbers plaques; 150 unique plaques) so I lacked time to complete more courtyards as I hoped; that will be for next version. There is one new courtyard though, although it's not totally complete yet. It's somewhere in the blue district. (I promise, after that one I'm focusing on the other districts)
As mentionned all the shells now have a unique ID plaque above their door, that should make finding shells easier. I have also added 'reserved' signs in front of the reserved shells.

Image Image

I have also added map pedestals in the large courtyards (texture is still temporary on those, I'll try to complete it by friday). Each district has its own map, and the white district has a different map pedestal as well. I'm not totally satisfied with those designs though; I might change them, we'll see. I have also added direction signs in key courtyards.
Now finding your way around the city should be easy.

Now, since I missed a whole week I need to catch up on a lot of things here..
Aloys

Re: Ahra Pahts weekly update #2

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:32 pm

These are wonderful, Aloys! The maps and signs should really help people find their way around. Can't wait until this is ready for exploration!
Can we rebuild it? Yes, we can - here's how.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Myst Movie coming soon - spread the word!
Robert The Rebuilder

Postby Aloys » Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:58 pm

Thank you.. I'm in the process of texturing the map pedestals so they look a bit better, but some how I'm not satisfied with the design..

The new version should be ready saturday. I'd like to have it ready for friday evening but I'm pretty sure I won't have the time.
Aloys

Postby Paradox » Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:25 pm

If you wanted some nifty stuff done with music, let me know.

At this point I can do music for an entire Age, and if someone fixes the softvolume stuff I should be able to get music confined to certain areas.
My eventual goal is to send messages to start and stop the music as necessary.
Paradox

Postby Aloys » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:06 pm

That would be a great addition! :) (In fact at this point I think any sound feature would be welcome). So yes, if you could work on that it would be wonderfull.

Other than music, at first we could proably do some kind of wind ambience.. (I'm not a sound person at all, I have no idea at this point what kind of music would fit the Age.. not that I gave it much thinking though.)

Hmm. do we have people skilled with sound around here?
Aloys

Postby Paradox » Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:30 pm

Right now I was using a piece by Matt Witkowski for my shell, but it could easily work for the entire Age.

http://mwitkowski.net/stuff/UntitledFINAL.mp3

I've already spoken to him, and he said that it wasn't a problem if it was used.
Paradox

Postby Tweek » Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:01 am

That music kinda works well with Ahra Pahts, it starts of sounding low and somewhat desolate (no shells currently) then it picks up and is more springy (community bustling around the age) then has hints of an epic nature with works well with the size of the Age. Only problem with it is it sounds a bit synthy but its a nice piece.
Beneath - IC Blog.
Beneath: Ages of Tweek - FB Age Dev Page.
Tweek

Postby Aloys » Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:35 am

That's indeed a very niece piece. It would suit the Age quite nicely..
My problem with adding any music to this Age is that it will end up being quite varied, so it will be difficult to stick a particular piece of music to the overall Age. Maybe we could use different pieces of music for the various areas (districts, large courtyards, hub)
But right now the city is still pretty monotonous, that's why I suggested an average wind ambient sound. But I agree a bit of music would bring some life to it..

It took a peek around the site, is that German Sheperd's work? There is some really great music in there! :) I had no idea he was such a talented composer.. (but I don't follow much the sound/musical activities of the community)

At some point though we will need to add sounds and music to the Age, so indeed we might as well start looking for it now.
Aloys

Postby Nadnerb » Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:40 am

No, that is not German Shepherd's work, Matt Witkowski is known to some as "The World", or "TW"

You can find TW's music links pages here: http://bootable.googlepages.com
You can find GermanShepherd's site/blog/thing here: http://www.rivenwolf.net/
Last edited by Nadnerb on Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Live KI: 34914 MOULa KI: 23247 Gehn KI: 11588 Available Ages: TunnelDemo3, BoxAge, Odema
Nadnerb

Postby Grogyan » Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:52 am

I've been enjoying listening to a few pieces that LinkinImp had suggested for Negilahn and Dereno.
I might use his Negilahn theme for my Age when I start it.
Better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all
Grogyan

Next

Return to Ahra Pahts