Testing new shell

A community Age for Uru.

Moderator: Aloys

Testing new shell

Postby Tinuviel » Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:13 pm

Ok, here is another dumb question from me..... Robert was kind enough to send me my shell, and I was so happy:-) In order to see if I could get things to work, I put a simple cube in my shell and followed the instuctions on the page for Shell testing. I followed the instructions to the point (as far I i know) end exported my shell to a file on it's own. I then copyed the two prp files Builtin and shell309 to the dat folder of my CC. So far and so good. No errors came up. But when I linked in to see if my cube was there: nothing! So I deleted everything, including the Ahra Pahts and did it all over. Still nothing.

Now, I am not good at these sort of things unless the instruction comes with pictures and pointing arrows, so most likly I have misunderstud one simple instruction and made a wrong turn. But I am to stupid to know where I did wrong. Can someone help me? If I get this to work I will enter the upcomming shell contest and finish on last place :D
«Borders? I have never seen one, but I have heard they exist in the minds of some people.»
(Thor Heyerdahl)
Tinuviel

Re: Testing new shell

Postby Paradox » Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:19 pm

Did you add the property "page_num" with value "309" to the cube when you exported it?
Paradox

Postby Tinuviel » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:31 pm

As i said: I will finnish last at the contest. Thanks for the help, Paradox! It did the trick. I had forgotten about the string. I had named everything correctly, but that part... I knew it was something easy. :roll:
«Borders? I have never seen one, but I have heard they exist in the minds of some people.»
(Thor Heyerdahl)
Tinuviel

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:44 pm

Today, a cube. Tomorrow, a D'ni habitat complete with landscaping, atmospheric music and waterfalls. :-)

Good luck, Tinuviel!
Can we rebuild it? Yes, we can - here's how.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Myst Movie coming soon - spread the word!
Robert The Rebuilder

Postby Grogyan » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:27 pm

Yep, I fell into that trap many many times, along with the swearing and cursing, then a feeling of "I am such an idiot" :D over powers me.

Just to give you a heads up on what happens when you don't put that page_num in, anything without it when exported goes into the builtin prp file
Better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all
Grogyan

Postby Tinuviel » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:32 pm

thanks for lifting my mood this morning! It is good to know I'm not the only one doing obvious mistakes :) And I will learn to make landskapes and waterfalls eventually. Music on the other hand is way after eventually.
(Thor Heyerdahl)
Tinuviel

Postby Marcello » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:43 am

Ok... I had the same problem, but now that my objects export... I can't see my textures. How do I get those back too?
Marcello

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:47 am

Marcello: the floor in your shell had the "OB" button (link material to object) selected for your material instead of the "ME" button (link material to block). The plug-in only looks at the ME setting.

To fix this, I deleted the OB link to the "129StoneFl" material, and I changed the ME link from "MatShlFlr" to "129StoneFl".

Another thing I did was to delete the "ignorePPT" property. This property will not place this object's texture in the page's PRP file. It is only useful for the parts of the shell that use the city's textures. Since the floor no longer uses the city's common grass texture, the property was no longer needed.
Can we rebuild it? Yes, we can - here's how.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Myst Movie coming soon - spread the word!
Robert The Rebuilder

Postby Marcello » Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:36 pm

Ok, strange problem here. I followed the usual procedure to test a shell. Things were ok for a while, but my last two versions of my shell are giving me headaches. I can't even get into Pahts right now. All I get is a blue world with and unlite avie falling to eternity. Last time the avie was on it's side!

I did nothing but copy the right (I'm sure of that) prp to /dat, make a new sum file and go.

Anybody knows what's going on? :( :(
Marcello

Postby Marcello » Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:46 am

Problem solved. No clue what happened but after reinstalling the Pahts files everything is okay again. Now I have transparant meshes lol. Normals are ok, page_num is set, objectnames are ok in 129xxxx format. Keeps me going lol
Marcello

Next

Return to Ahra Pahts