Ahra Pahts Release With Paging

A community Age for Uru.

Moderator: Aloys

Re: Ahra Pahts Release With Paging

Postby Aloys » Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:35 am

That's because there's the weirdest bug with shell 202. For some reason it exports fine, but when I link in the Age Uru deletes the PRP during startup (like it sometimes does with corrupted PRPs) and then rightfully complains that it is missing. That bug is older than the hills but I was never able to found what caused it. :cry: So to work around that I added the shell 202 to the core city PRP a long time ago, and I just never looked at it again. Until now that caused no problems, but Robert's paging system might be confused with that missing PRP.. ( :oops: ) I'll have a shot at it again and see if all the PyPRP fixes over the last months have somehow fixed this.
This bug is just weird *shrugs*
Aloys

Postby Grogyan » Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:57 am

I have noticed virtually no difference between the 0.8c and 0.8d version, it still takes about 20 seconds to get in.

One bug I did notice is that if you link to the hub from Prin, it takes a long, long time.
So long I thought my computer crashed.
Better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all
Grogyan

Postby Mystified Explorer » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:11 am

202??? But that's my shell... what does this mean for development?
Mystified Explorer

Postby Aloys » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:13 am

Yes, I just noticed that :) I hope I can fix whatever is wrong with the current shell, else we'll have to see what else can be done. (again if worst comes to worst I can still integrate it as part of the local PRP, like I did before)
Aloys

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:17 am

Tonight, I'll edit the city PRP file and delete the shell 202 geometry from it. I'll then make a shell202 PRP containing the deleted geometry. That way, ME can still participate.

[I was planning on making another paging release anyway, with the slowdown bug fixed and possibly including mar's shell for inspection.]
Can we rebuild it? Yes, we can - here's how.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Myst Movie coming soon - spread the word!
Robert The Rebuilder

Postby Jojon » Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:59 am

By the way, on a fraction-way related matter... :7

I notice that the walls of our shells are double-sided faces (in the Blender views at least). Would there be any gain worth, making those relatively few faces single-sided, you think?

...or maybe we need them for the unseen to move about...Those walls must be that thick for a reason... Don't look so innocent, Rob -- I'm onto you and your mobile labyrinths. ;)
Jojon

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:22 pm

Who, me? :shock:

*orders bahro to abandon secret tunnel inside shell walls before they're discovered*

Nothing to see here...

---

EDIT: I've created a new version of the paging Ahra Pahts. I reduced the pause you experience whenever you page in shell 111. [Consequently, I temporarily disabled its mechanics, so the shell does nothing. :-( I'll fix that after the contest.]

Also, Mystified Explorer's shell (202) is now a regular shell and not a static part of the city - go ahead and substitute in your shell, ME!

To download it, use the link in the first post.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Robert The Rebuilder

Postby D'Lanor » Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:39 am

Grogyan wrote:I have noticed virtually no difference between the 0.8c and 0.8d version, it still takes about 20 seconds to get in.

In that case you did not have a problem to begin with. A load time of 20 seconds is already pretty decent for a large age. This optimized version will mostly benefit those who had to wait several minutes for Pahts to load or could not load it at all.
"It is in self-limitation that a master first shows himself." - Goethe
D'Lanor

Postby Lontahv » Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:26 pm

The AhraPahts version with paging is MUCH better for load time for me. It used to take 3 mins (at least) to load. And then it started eating swap... it was really bad before. Now it's great. :D

~Lontahv
Currently getting some ink on my hands over at the Guild Of Ink-Makers (PyPRP2).
Lontahv
Councilor of Artistic Direction

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:34 pm

It was for your system specs (512 MB) that we geared this paging scheme, Lontahv - glad it's working for you!

MOULagain KI# 1299

Robert The Rebuilder

PreviousNext

Return to Ahra Pahts