Ahra Pahts Release With Paging

A community Age for Uru.

Moderator: Aloys

Ahra Pahts Release With Paging

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:47 am

I integrated the portal-based paging mechanism into the latest released version of Ahra Pahts (v0.8C). Now the initial loading time is 50% of what it used to be.

To try it yourself, first clear out all Pahts files from your Uru install. [Easy way: right-click on Uru folder and choose Search..., then enter Pahts, then select all the files it found and hit the delete key.]

Then download the following file:

AhraPahts08D3.zip (25.6 MB)

Unzip the file, then follow the directions in the README.txt file.

I recommend using this version until version 1.0 is released (with the paging mechanism integrated).

Notes:
  • If you have also tried out the LinkTest01 paging prototype, please delete all those files from the "dat" folder, as their PRPs will interfere with this version of Ahra Pahts.
  • As D'Lanor pointed out, if your shell has any Python code that executes at OnServerInitComplete(), that function will never be called if the corresponding prp is not initially loaded. You will have to move your code to OnFirstUpdate. You cannot use __init__ to call SDL variables because at that point they are not yet available which will cause an error.

[EDIT 6/30/08] Changed link to point to new version with fixes for shell 202 and long load time for shell 111.
Last edited by Robert The Rebuilder on Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Can we rebuild it? Yes, we can - here's how.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Myst Movie coming soon - spread the word!
Robert The Rebuilder

Re: Ahra Pahts Release With Paging

Postby LaReh » Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:52 am

Uh-oh. Deleted all my previous Pahts stuff, installed this new one. Going well until I try to access the area around Shell 111.
Whether going there on foot or via Prin Pahts Nexus, my computer hangs up. :?: Any ideas?
KI 8907958
LaReh

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:23 am

It takes about 20 seconds for that area to load up. Did URU never become responsive again for you?

MOULagain KI# 1299

Robert The Rebuilder

Postby LaReh » Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:36 am

I waited a few minutes and gave up, Ctrl-Alt-Deleting outta there. Tried it a few times since with the same results. Even lowered resolutions and such to the same result.
UPDATE: Ran in windowed mode. When hang occured, minimized Uru, maximized again....no hang! Once that section of the city was loaded once, link was thereafter instantaneous! Success! :D
KI 8907958
LaReh

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:56 am

Huh. I tried in both full screen and windowed mode. Got the same hang time, but eventually both continued.

I'll see if I can minimize that hang time somehow; it is most likely related to shell 111's startup methods.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Robert The Rebuilder

Postby Preachr46 » Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:55 am

OK.

Followed the instructions and after re-install went to Ahra Pahts.

After reading LaReh's problem I was prepared to try it his way if it didn't work in full screen mode.

Linked in, went to the nexus stand and linked to Prin almost instantly!

Ran over to the shell 111 area stand and linked. Took about 4 seconds for the link to work. But it worked!

Linked back to Prin and tried the link again. Took about 2 seconds for the second link.

I don't know if hardware has anything to do with this, but if you want my system specs, I can supply those.
Preachr46

Postby LaReh » Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:24 pm

OK, here's the latest. Runs in full screen mode now, max video settings, no minimization/maximization needed. It seems that with my system, the first load time for that city section with Shell 111 was just taking longer than my impatience was willing to wait. :oops:
Once loaded in, I now go there instantly. I will link around to all city sections to have them loaded before adding shells for the contest judging.
Sorry to have pushed a panic button prematurely. :oops: ;)
KI 8907958
LaReh

Postby Preachr46 » Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:01 pm

I started doing some exploring around Ahra Pahts. The first thing I found is there are lots of shells missing! Just open black areas where they should be.

This didn't seem right as the version of Pahts I replaced didn't have any missing shells at all.

So I opened up PRPExplorer to see what I could find...if anything.

Got this error:

./Pahts_District_Dist2Sub4.prp is invalid

System.ArguementException: Item has already been added. Key in dictionary: '48671' Key being added: '48671' at System.Collections.Hashtable.Insert (Object key, Object value, Boolean add) at System.Collections.Hashtable.Add (Object key, Object value) at Huru.PRPExplorer.MainForm.LoadPRPs ()

I'm also experiencing what can only be discribed as "hithches" as I move around. Like I hit a momentary invisible wall or something similar. These "hitches" last only a second or two but weren't present in the replaced version of Pahts.

Is this just something with my install? Or did I somehow miss a file or two?
Preachr46

Postby Preachr46 » Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:20 pm

OK:

Did some more digging and now find that shell 202 is missing in the list, but is there physicaly in Pahts. Has no number above the shell entrance.
Preachr46

Postby Nadnerb » Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:31 pm

The "hitches" are an expected side effect of the method used to reduce loading time. The missing shell however sounds like it might be an issue.
Live KI: 34914 MOULa KI: 23247 Gehn KI: 11588 Available Ages: TunnelDemo3, BoxAge, Odema
Nadnerb

Next

Return to Ahra Pahts