Shell 'Problem'

A community Age for Uru.

Moderator: Aloys

Shell 'Problem'

Postby Valdez » Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:09 pm

I was wondering if there was any walls in the in the .blend file for the Shells. I would like to know where the boundries are and I could have sworn I had seen something about the walls being in the fourth layer, but they wern't. Is there anything I can use as a reference for the walls?

Thanks,
Valdez :geek:
Fighting, Horrible disposition to others based on beliefs... What's the point anymore? Was there ever a point? Dead is what it is and always will be until peace is achieved through everyone.
Valdez

Re: Shell 'Problem'

Postby katreeny » Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:54 pm

Hi, Valdez,

You might want to see if you're getting a warning that the shell file comes from a newer version of Blender and some data might be lost.

I got that one when I tried just now, so I'm downloading the latest linux version and installing it... Mutter mutter *buntu repositories not kept up to date...

Katreeny
Katreeny - KI 954782
katreeny

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:39 pm

Valdez: your Blend file should have all your shell's geometry: walls, floor, steps, numbers, etc.

Make sure layer 1 is active. Then, when in top down mode, zoom out as far as you can go. Shell 210 should be to the left of the origin a ways; shell 332 should be to the right and up a little.

Katreeny: sorry, yes - these Blend files were made using Blender 2.46. So, please upgrade (if you haven't already).
Can we rebuild it? Yes, we can - here's how.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Myst Movie coming soon - spread the word!
Robert The Rebuilder

Postby Valdez » Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:40 pm

I see it now! But do I have to manually texture the walls? For I don't know what goes where. :oops:
Fighting, Horrible disposition to others based on beliefs... What's the point anymore? Was there ever a point? Dead is what it is and always will be until peace is achieved through everyone.
Valdez

Postby katreeny » Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:48 pm

I found the object - it's a LOT larger than the basic interface. Show all objects helps.

Now I'm getting an export error and !@#$!! Linux won't show me the console...

Katreeny (I'll work this out eventually. Even if my entry turns out to be a shell with a cube in it)
Katreeny - KI 954782
katreeny

Postby Jojon » Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:38 pm

Textures: http://www.didanka.com/huru/private/Shells/textures.zip

Put the texture directory in the same directory as the shell's .blend file.

Remember to add the string property: "page_num", with your shell number as value, to all objects and to prefix all your object/material/etc names with the shell number.

Testing shell in Uru: http://alcugs.almlys.org/wiki/index.php/ShellTest

Submissing checklist: http://alcugs.almlys.org/wiki/index.php ... nCheckList
Jojon

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:18 am

valdez: All the geometry in your shell is already textured. Just to check, is your Draw Type set to "Textured"? The Draw Type dropdown menu is next to the Mode dropdown menu.

katreeny: just curious - if you start blender from a command shell, will it direct its console output to the shell?
Can we rebuild it? Yes, we can - here's how.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Myst Movie coming soon - spread the word!
Robert The Rebuilder

Postby Paradox » Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:49 pm

Code: Select all
$ blender -w

That will start Blender (in windowed mode) from the terminal. All output will end up on the terminal.
Paradox

Postby katreeny » Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:32 pm

Robert - yes, I've got that working now.

Paradox - Thanks for the windowed mode command. Now to figure out how to tell it to start the right VERSION of Blender. Ubuntu repository version - which is what starts running straight from the command shell - is 2.45_2.

Jojon - just to confirm, the unzipped texture files need to be in the same directory as the .blend file?

(updating after unable to find image files errors) Okay, what else do I need to do to get the texture files to export with the shell?

Thanks,

Katreeny (well in the running for dead last)
Katreeny - KI 954782
katreeny

Postby Paradox » Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:43 pm

.deb packages for 2.46 are available here: https://launchpad.net/~wgrant/+archive
Paradox

Next

Return to Ahra Pahts