Shell 232 RAD progress

A community Age for Uru.

Moderator: Aloys

Shell 232 RAD progress

Postby katreeny » Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:25 pm

Well, I have a nice statue. I'm still trying to work out where to attach the string page_num property to my statue objects so that they export properly, and just found out that I'll need to tweak my statue's textures a bit in order for them to export.

Next step, add some paved paths. Since this is all about rapid building, I think I'll just pave right over the top of the grass :)

Katreeny

(screen shots will happen when I manage to export something that doesn't look like an empty shell ;) )
Katreeny - KI 954782
katreeny

Re: Shell 232 RAD progress

Postby Tinuviel » Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:34 pm

I am so glad there is someone else having the same problem that I had:-) In the buttons panel go to Logic (F4) Press add property and under types you pick String Name = page_num and last you enter your shell number
«Borders? I have never seen one, but I have heard they exist in the minds of some people.»
(Thor Heyerdahl)
Tinuviel

Postby katreeny » Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:05 pm

Thanks, Tinuviel!

So, one of us is going to come in dead last, you say? ;) I reckon I'm seriously in the running here.

Katreeny
Katreeny - KI 954782
katreeny

Postby Tinuviel » Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:52 am

I'm not so sure. Looking at my shell I wonder if it really was a good idea for me to figure out that page_num thing.... I am sertently going to give you some competition for that last place. :D
«Borders? I have never seen one, but I have heard they exist in the minds of some people.»
(Thor Heyerdahl)
Tinuviel

Postby katreeny » Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:26 am

At least you're GETTING stuff in your shell!

Now that I have the page_num set, I keep getting an export error: ValueError: face has no texture values

I've tried what they said in the thread about it up somewhere, and it doesn't help :(

Katreeny
Katreeny - KI 954782
katreeny

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:39 am

katreeny: the mesh has a couple faces that don't have a texture assigned to them. To fix this, select the object and go into edit mode. Then hit the A key to select all faces in the object. Then, in the UV/Image Editor panel, select the texture to use from the dropdown menu next to the "Image" menu item. That will assign the texture to all the faces.
Can we rebuild it? Yes, we can - here's how.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Myst Movie coming soon - spread the word!
Robert The Rebuilder

Postby katreeny » Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:18 am

Thanks, Robert!

I now have - TADA! - a statue. The textures aren't right, but they're there... Now to fiddle with them and lay down my paving... Oh, and drop the statue about a foot so it's not actually hanging in the air ;)

Statue.jpg
The statue
Statue.jpg (16.33 KiB) Viewed 6049 times

Katreeny
Katreeny - KI 954782
katreeny

Postby katreeny » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:32 pm

And yes, there is further progress. Slower now since I'm at work during the day so any progress and testing has to happen after that.

My statue textures are in place, and my statue is where it should be. I've change the floor of my shell to sound like stone, but changing the texture didn't 'take' for some reason. I'll figure that one out tomorrow - I've got a nice tiled floor to lay down in place of that boring old grass.

Then I can start making pavilions :)

Katreeny
Katreeny - KI 954782
katreeny

Postby Grogyan » Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:52 am

Well done
2 more weeks and you'll be an expert :P

As for textures not appearing, have you loade the image as well into the "Texture buttons"?

Press "F6", and as long as the mesh has a material, you'll see another area called "Texture"
Click Add New
name it with your shell prefix, s###sometexture (no extension here in the button)
In the "texture type" drop down menu,
select image
scroll to the other end of this window pane till you find the area named "Image"
Click on the button and find your image
This image also needs your shell prefix, s###someimage.tga (this area needs the suffix and can be any picture type and not just a tga)
I use tga mostly as it gives the best picture quality as well as an alpha channel for transparencies, jpg gives the best compression but you lose quality in the image
Better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all
Grogyan

Postby katreeny » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:07 pm

Thanks, Grogyan!

Whatever the heek I tried with the tiles didn't work - I now have a nice white floor instead of a nice tiled floor ;)

On the plus side, I also have a nice column, so I'm ready to start making copies to support my pavilion. And try to get the tiles working again.

Katreeny (You know "expert" means a has-been drip under pressure, right? :lol: )
Katreeny - KI 954782
katreeny

Next

Return to Ahra Pahts