Shell 232 RAD progress

A community Age for Uru.

Moderator: Aloys

Re: Shell 232 RAD progress

Postby katreeny » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:15 pm

Lots of columns now - they've come out really well - but still no tiles.

Note to self: do not attempt to exit URU from Ahra Pahts. For reasons known only to Windows, it does ugly things and then proceeds to lock the flipping drive.

Katreeny
Katreeny - KI 954782
katreeny

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:38 am

katreeny wrote:Note to self: do not attempt to exit URU from Ahra Pahts. For reasons known only to Windows, it does ugly things and then proceeds to lock the flipping drive.

:o

Wow - I've exited URU many times from Ahra Pahts, and that hasn't happened to me yet. What part of AP were you in when this happened?
Can we rebuild it? Yes, we can - here's how.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Myst Movie coming soon - spread the word!
Robert The Rebuilder

Postby Marcello » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:49 am

Robert I have the same error as she did, but selecting all the faces does not help me. I still get the error and took the entire mesh apart looking for hidden face. There aren't any :(
Marcello

Postby katreeny » Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:51 am

Robert - I think the windows update that wanted a reboot "helped". All is good now, anyway.

Still no tiled floor, but columns and a roof I now need to adjust. A couple of KI shots are at http://picasaweb.google.com/katepaulk/KIimages

Regards,

Katreeny
Katreeny - KI 954782
katreeny

Postby katreeny » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:54 pm

My roof is now just right, and provides a nice viewing platform for that part of the city as well as a jumping platform for the athletically inclined. Some careful use of extra-transparent glass rungs in a wooden frame gives the Amazing Invisible Ladder quite a nice effect.

Tiling the floor is still problematic - I may need to change the tiles or do something else with the floor to remove the dull gray color. First, though, I need to bring in some lamps to lighten up the shaded area.

Katreeny
Katreeny - KI 954782
katreeny

Postby katreeny » Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:11 pm

The lamp looks great, but has the strangest effect on the air in the vicinity, slowing everything down to a fraction of the normal speed. It's almost as bad as being in the City in peak population times. (IF anyone has any idea how to stop dynamic shadows causing mega lag, I'd love to know them)

I still have no tiles. Honestly, those tile delivery people are dreadful! (aka ARGH! BLOODY TEXTURES!) ;)

Katreeny
Katreeny - KI 954782
katreeny

Postby Aloys » Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:21 pm

Dynamic shadows on objects slow down performance a lot on most computers, that's why they should be disabled.
To get rid of those dynamic shadows for your objects you need to disable the 'shadbuf' button in all the materials. (that's in the Material/Links & pipeline panel).
Aloys

Postby katreeny » Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:56 pm

Aloys wrote:Dynamic shadows on objects slow down performance a lot on most computers, that's why they should be disabled.
To get rid of those dynamic shadows for your objects you need to disable the 'shadbuf' button in all the materials. (that's in the Material/Links & pipeline panel).

Thanks, Aloys! While I like the effect, I really don't think it would go down well for everyone who came near my shell to get trapped in glue!

Katreeny (muttering fix the lights, fix the !@#$!!!! tiles if I can, add more seats...)
Katreeny - KI 954782
katreeny

Postby mar » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:46 pm

Katreeny, I had the same experience with the light in my shell. :(
I have make a little bit dark scenery and put then some spotsin it for some local light. The shell looks after that of it was a very sunny day at the beach . I have also minimized it so far as it can but it was a no improvement.
Now I have put all the lights of and I have paint the places where I want more light in with "Vertex ". The result is must better. :P
mar

Postby katreeny » Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:35 pm

I fixed the lights to remove the stuck in glue effect. That part worked.

Alas, the wretched tilers never did deliver, and between the day job and other constraints, it's got to go in tonight.

Oh, well. On my last test, it did NOT crash anything or blow anything up, but it does boost Age load time something horrible - once I've done my obligatory dead last, I'll ask someone with a bit more experience to help me to trim down load time. Thanks everyone who's offered advice! I'm actually kind of pleased with myself, since this is the first time I've done anything more than fiddle a bit with Blender.

Katreeny
Katreeny - KI 954782
katreeny

PreviousNext

Return to Ahra Pahts