Variety in the City Districts

A community Age for Uru.

Moderator: Aloys

Postby Aloys » Fri May 05, 2006 6:54 am

Personally I think it'd be nice to have at least a small community area in each district. It makes sense to have most of it around the hub, but maybe we shouldn't make that exclusive.
I wondered whether we might need some 'recreationnal' areas for games or leisure, but I guess it falls under the 'community' areas. Which is also why I think it would be nice to distribute geographically a bit more the community areas.. Maybe we could just flip a couple of the commercial shells in each district with a couple of the community shells? Just an idea. On the other hand we have all the courtyards which will act as natural gathring places/community areas.. Don't know.
Also I agree we need some 'unrestricteda areas' -- or would that fall under the Residential areas where people can basically do whatever they want?
Aloys

Postby Starfyre » Fri May 05, 2006 7:19 am

On community I always pictured a shell inside each district solely used for that purpose. On the commercial lets try and keep this all in theme. It's D'ni not Chicago. Stuff like clothing will be mostly none existant. Most fabrics after 250 years will have rotted away. Especially with noone to tend to them in the regards to washing and such. Each community area I think should hold a smaller version of the main library. And each of the other districts should have I think simple nexus podeums.

And on unregulated?? Why did we need it in the first place. 4 themes in the city. Pretty much covers just about anything a person can think of.
Starfyre

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Fri May 05, 2006 10:27 am

And here's another take:

I broke up the center areas within the outer districts so that two shells were devoted to community/recreation, and the others are commercial.

Anything else?
Can we rebuild it? Yes, we can - here's how.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Myst Movie coming soon - spread the word!
Robert The Rebuilder

Postby Aloys » Sat May 20, 2006 9:28 am

Looks good to me. :)
Now we only have to actually fill those empty shells. :blink: Of course having outside people signing up and joining would help. It just so happen that I have the shells done and we can start that soon. :) (Not just yet, I think there are a couple details that needs to be discussed). I'll take shell 439. ^_^

BTW: I had mentionned there are 156 shells, i had my count wrong somehow. There are 150 shells (nice round figure - wasn't done on purpose though) I think I had a couple off around the hub.

Also, since we're on the variety topic:

The idea to have the Age be shaped as a bowl is nice but difficult to execute well. However I agree that some changes in the height of the shells or the district would be nice. The hub will be the highest point of the city, but some shells could be on hills

The more I work on the city the more I find it to be quite flat; and I think it makes it a little monotonous. :( Someone (Dustin?) had talked about making the City bowl shaped, as I said making it look like a real bowl wouldn't be easy (because all shells would need to be at different heights) but I think a little variety wouldn't hurt.
What do you think?

Also, since this would mean moving some shells, and it would be an important aspect in the choice of a shell, it would be nice to agree on this before we start the registrations. :unsure:
Aloys

Postby J'anim Paedet » Sat May 20, 2006 7:32 pm

Yes, I agree. It already looks very nice, but some variety would add a new dimension to the city, as well as enhance the sence of realism. I just wish we knew what the environment was going to be -- it would make choosing the type of terrain much easier.
J'anim Paedet

Postby Aloys » Sat May 20, 2006 9:22 pm

That's a very pertinent remark, the environment question needs to be adressed. We can't release a city whithout an environment right?

About that height thing anyone any opinions? That wouldn't be a lot of work, create a couple stairs here and there, and shuffle shells around, but that'd need to be done before the shells are handed out.
Aloys

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Mon May 22, 2006 10:40 am

I'm for keeping the ground levels as they are.

Once we incorporate the nexus transport system, you won't be stuck walking along those streets.

If people want a variety in the height, they can just build a high-rise in their shells. (Note: I think that the Hub should be the tallest structure in the city. In addition to serving as a landmark that is visible throughout the city, when people are admiring the view of the city from the Hub, their view will be mostly unobstructed.)

MOULagain KI# 1299

Robert The Rebuilder

Postby Tylinol » Mon May 22, 2006 1:27 pm

I've still got the interior. Now that TE is kind of back ( :D :D :D ), I'll
just sit tight until he's ready to do an interior. Then I'll model it (doesn't take
me any time at all with concept art) and upload it.
Tylinol

Postby Aloys » Mon May 22, 2006 2:44 pm

My point with varying the height throughout the city is that beside the shells, the city itself is varied and not so repetitive.
Also in the beginning we won't have any shells build, they'll all be the same default shells, and hence the city will be very monotonous.
As you say, people can (and most likely will) build higher/lower shells but IMHO the city should also be interesting itself.

I'm not talking about great heights (and I agree that the Hub should be the highest point in the city) I'm talking about only 5 to 10 feet higher/lower only. Just enough to break up a bit this 'monotony issue'.

Just my opinion.
Aloys

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Mon May 22, 2006 8:46 pm

Well, maybe the center of each district could be elevated. There could also be something that makes each of these district centers unique (e.g. one has a lookout tower, another has a statue, a third has a moving sculpture).

As the city grows, maybe we could post adverts on the walls. "Need Coffee? Stop by shell 432". Or maybe artwork of somekind, for those aesthetically minded folk out there.

One of these topics was requesting environmental objects (pots, benches, posts, etc.) - those could help break up the monotony as well.

I'm sure once people start walking the city, there will be tons of suggestions. There's already been much feedback about the posted Ahra Pahts images at UruLive.com forums.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Robert The Rebuilder

Previous

Return to Ahra Pahts