Is the source available?

A community Age for Uru.

Moderator: Aloys

Is the source available?

Postby di gama » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:55 pm

I'd like to get my hands on the blender file for the main city. Why? I'm having trouble with lightmapping due to the fact that I don't know where the sun is, so it's hard to get these things to look right. There are also a couple other things (like where the other shells are relative to mine), but you get the drift. More than anything it's the fact that I can really see outside where my shell is, and there are things I just can't do otherwise. In short, is AP closed-source?
di gama

Re: Is the source available?

Postby dtierce » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:41 pm

Um... the main city is underground. There is no sun. The lighting source is the diffuse indirect light from the lake reflected from the cavern ceiling. It should be considered as nearly shadowless.
dtierce

Postby di gama » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:45 am

I meant Ahra Pahts.
di gama

Postby Aloys » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:05 am

AP is not \"open-source\" but it is not \"closed source\" either. Right now I am working on completing the new version, so the files are still a bit of a mess, and I won\'t release anything until this is complete and clean.

But as for your other question: right now there are no actual lights in the city, but there IS a sun. :) You can even see it at the linking spot ( here ). It is oriented south-east, slightly low on the horizon, but I can\\\'t be more precise because it is only a sprite, and there is no actual directional light.. (on the released versions there is only a single area light to lit up the avatar)

Adding actual lights in the Age is in the plans but it will be for the next version, because that will be a lot of work. That said, it is an interesting question, people might want to lit up their shell, and would need to know what sunlight is planned. I\'ll try to think of this and see if I can make some basic lighting setup.
Aloys

Postby Paradox » Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:27 pm

You may have some luck importing the main city.prp file, but generally it crashes Blender. Using an older version of the plugin might give you better chances.
Paradox

Postby Grogyan » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:15 pm

di gama wrote:I'd like to get my hands on the blender file for the main city. Why? I'm having trouble with lightmapping due to the fact that I don't know where the sun is, so it's hard to get these things to look right. There are also a couple other things (like where the other shells are relative to mine), but you get the drift. More than anything it's the fact that I can really see outside where my shell is, and there are things I just can't do otherwise. In short, is AP closed-source?

I too will be doing light mapping for m y shell, but I intend to get over that hurdle by looking up when I am in my shell
Better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all
Grogyan

Return to Ahra Pahts