City Environment

A community Age for Uru.

Moderator: Aloys

Postby Aloys » Sun Mar 12, 2006 4:27 pm

note: This thread was 4 pages and a couple posts long; unfortunately I only have the last page.

[PAGE 4]
[quote="J'anim Paedet @ 28 2006"]Cones? That sounds more like it!? ;)
They wouldn't even necessarily have to be D'ni cones or barriors. I'm sure the restoration team would have brought a fair amount with them. However, to prevent people looking past the blockades and seeing an empty lot, perhaps it would be good to include drapes as well.

[quote="Aloys @ Feb 28 2006"]Drapes would be nice too. I also thought about putting some large 'under construction/restoration' boards.?? :)

[quote="J'anim Paedet @ Mar 2 2006"]Here's an environment question--

Will the residential buildings within the city all be open for entering and looking into, like in the Cleft, would they mostly be closed up, like in Ae'gura, or would it be completely up to the builder?
I would opt for the latter, but I'm afraid it could potentially raise the polygon count very, very high, and slow down both load times and in-game playing.
(something has to be done about these multi-blender exports!)

[quote="Starfyre @ Mar 3 2006"]In the beginning they will be closed. I would say only those buildings like the Library will be open in the begining. Once we get the Multiple Blender Export problem fixed then we might see about opening some of those buildings. Eventually I would like to see one of the houses opened as well as a couple other buildings.

[quote="Aloys @ Mar 7 2006"]Have we reached an agreement on this?
As I've stated previously, as far as I'm concerned I like the underground idea as long as it has a good deal of light.

[quote="The Enlightened @ Mar 8 2006"]When I had a meeting with the community recently, they told me that they like the idea of open fields to read, play, and converse. This would also be a good thing to have as a filler of space, seeing as this is a grande city. I can imagine all of the explorers running in the tall grass, playing that sardines game.

[quote="Aloys @ Mar 8 2006"]Open fields? hmm we might have one or two of the courtyards like that; some of the courtyards are really large. Though it will never be Noloben; this is a city.
But the explorers will be able to do whatever they want of their shells, and once the city itself is done we can start working on our own personal shells. I know I have a couple idea that would involve grass and other garden elements.

[quote="Starfyre @ Mar 8 2006"]Personally I like the idea of a park. Maybe one of the shells can be a park of some kind.

Even cities have parks.

[PAGE 5]
[quote="The Enlightened @ Mar 9 2006"]I guess one of my main objections is that the underground concept has already been done. It would be a real feat if would could step out with some creativity here. I will be back to concept art soon, mainly because my hands a still fairly shaky
[quote="Robert The Rebuilder @ Posted on Mar 9 2006"][quote="Starfyre @ Mar 2 2006"]Once we get the Multiple Blender Export problem fixed then we might see about opening some of those buildings. Starfyre: I've successfully tested a multiple blender export - see this post.
[quote="Aloys @ Mar 9 2006"]I agree the underground theme has already been done.. Coming up with something a little more original would be good.
Though the main interest of the Age will be its buildings and the shell, the rest of the Age itself should be nice and interesting too. At the very least it must be a place that is invinting and where one will want to spend time..
Aloys

Postby J'anim Paedet » Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:50 pm

Here is a bit more of page 5. I believe this was the last of it.

QUOTE (J'anim Paedet)
I've always pictured this city as being in a nice, open area, surrounded by rocky hills and water. I like the idea of a bright, open sky myself. It would also explain why we seem to be adding roofs to our constructions, which the D'ni, by default, did not.[/quote]
QUOTE (The Enlightened)
That sounds about right.[/quote]
J'anim Paedet

Postby Aloys » Mon May 15, 2006 5:04 pm

As the Age is now nearing completion as far as the city part is concerned, we should look again at defining what's the environment of the Age outside the city. It has been my understanding so far that we could only explore the city (at least at first) but we can see outside of it: the sky and the immediate surroundings.

For what I can remember before we lost the thread the debate was whether we should do an underground Age or not. The lighting I've put on the city so far could accomodate both situations and still look ok. (I don't think a really bright sunny environment would work really well on it though)
All kinds of (sometimes wacky) ideas where thrown around like upside-down buildings on the ceiling of the cavern, luminous clouds/spores in the air.. I don't remember much.

I think most people liked the idea. Personally I'm not against it if it is different enough of the D'ni Cavern; else it would lack originality. Just my opinion.

Anyhow if we want to complete the Age and have something beside the city, now is the time to discuss it. Because right now we've got a city floating in the air, no sky and no ground.
Aloys

Postby Besharen » Mon May 15, 2006 5:59 pm

I don't think we should have it in a cavern; it would be too much like D'ni.

So, here are some possible sky textures: Link

They're huge and look nice. I'm thinking maybe the Early_Morning_Modified_By_FLS?

Edit: And I think those textures can be used without credit too! It's a kind submit/share type website, so if you take a texture you're expected to add a couple of your own, so they're free.
Besharen

Postby J'anim Paedet » Mon May 15, 2006 6:13 pm

I don't know about those panoramas. I've tried them twice now with my Ages; they don't work. I think they're too large or misshapen. But if you can get them to work, I agree that we should use them. If not, may I recommend this page?
J'anim Paedet

Postby Besharen » Mon May 15, 2006 6:15 pm

Oh, ok, I haven't ever used them.

Also, someone asked over at the UruLive forums "any screenshots from avatar camera level so we can see what the user will see?"

Can you get a shot of this, Aloys?
Besharen

Postby Aloys » Mon May 15, 2006 6:43 pm

Right now the city doesn't look great at avatar level because the textures are blurry; but here goes:

Some nice skies on your link there. I'll bookmark that.
Aloys

Postby Gryffon » Thu May 25, 2006 11:07 am

Sorry if this is out-of-place but...

If you want a somewhat dark city, but don't want to go stepping on the Cavern's craggy toes, there are other options. Perhaps the city could be bordered by huge, Kadish-esque trees? If they were of the branching-variety, their canopy would probably cover most of the city in a nice, cool shade, but some sunlight could still probably get through. It would definatly still be possible to integrate the previously mentioned luminous spores, either descending from the leaves or raising up to them.
Gryffon

Postby The Enlightened » Thu May 25, 2006 11:29 am

To be perfectly honest, I think that is brilliant. I am in no position to say if it would be accepted or not. But that is extremely creative.
The Enlightened

Postby Besharen » Thu May 25, 2006 4:12 pm

What ever we do, I think it needs to be something creative and imaginative. Personally, I think just a city is pretty boring. But, as Gryffon suggested, add some huge trees and it will become a lot more interesting.
Besharen

Next

Return to Ahra Pahts