City Environment

A community Age for Uru.

Moderator: Aloys

Postby Ailaera » Sat May 27, 2006 8:31 pm

Pretty much not everyone is gonna agree on this. I actually hate the sky as it is now. Its just not right.
Ailaera

Postby Mystified Explorer » Sat May 27, 2006 10:39 pm

I know what might look better - a orange-purple sunset sky (kinda like Gira at sunset) I think that would go very well with the age. Awesome screenshots anyway :D
Mystified Explorer

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Sun May 28, 2006 7:46 am

Or maybe a day/night cycle with python that turns the lamps on/off when nesecary ;) Even with the poorness of pyprp atm, it would be possible :)
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Postby Aloys » Sun May 28, 2006 3:51 pm

I don't know about day/night cycle, I'm not a big fan of those actually. Change from day to night might be realistic and cool but it chagnes so much the mood of an Age it's hard to control. If we can activate the light at night that would be nice though. Regardless of my tastes I don't think we have the technical means to make a sky go dark and then lighter again.
(However the possibility to turn on & off some lights could make for some nice interactivity.. that deserves some more thought.)

At any rate, if use a sky we should definitely animate it IMHO. The Age is terribly still right now; water doesn't move, sky doesn't move. The sky is mapped on a simple sphere, so we could have it rotate slowly; and maybe add another layer with a smaller sphere with a transparent sky rotating at a slightly different speed.
Aloys

Postby Aloys » Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:18 pm

I have (slightly) changed the sky: I made it much darker and added stars back in. It gives more the place a 'dusk' atmosphere that I like.

(this screenshot was taken in Blender, and it makes the sky texture blurry so the stars are a bit dull, they look better in Uru)
Aloys

Postby Paradox » Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:09 pm

Aloys, that looks great.
Paradox

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:01 am

[quote="Aloys"] (this screenshot was taken in Blender, and it makes the sky texture blurry so the stars are a bit dull, they look better in Uru)

That looks awesome in Blender! Can't wait to see it in Uru!
Can we rebuild it? Yes, we can - here's how.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Myst Movie coming soon - spread the word!
Robert The Rebuilder

Postby Aloys » Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:41 am

If you want to check it out in Uru I've put up a update to the Prps here. To make the download smalller it just contains the needed files (Pahts_District_city.prp and Pahts.fni) overwrite the files in your dat folder with these and update the .sum file however you want. (I'd provide mine but I'm not sure it'd work..)
Aloys

Postby zib_redlektab » Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:12 am

thats really nice! it looks like an aurora borealis!

im a big fan of day/night cycles, as long as there are lights that turn on at night.
Lurker extraordinaire!
http://www.zibland.com
zib_redlektab

Postby J'anim Paedet » Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:52 am

Beautiful! Now, if we could only get the cloudy foreground to rotate...
J'anim Paedet

PreviousNext

Return to Ahra Pahts