A good start for the Ahra Phats Newbie

A community Age for Uru.

Moderator: Aloys

A good start for the Ahra Phats Newbie

Postby J'Kla » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:08 pm

This covers support for those new to age writing and includes some specific Ahra Pahts stuff

http://guildofwriters.com/wiki/Workspace_Setup

Thanks to Paradox for writing the wiki I believe thats where credits due. ;)
J'Kla

Re: A good start for the Ahra Phats Newbie

Postby J'Kla » Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:58 pm

Start point for newbies saying "BLENDER!!!"

There is a wiki book http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Blender_3D:_Noob_to_Pro it looks a lot but I am going to try and work through it (expect questions)
J'Kla

Postby J'Kla » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:55 pm

Now that you have hacked your working copy of your Shell maybe you want to look at it in CC Ahra Pahts.

I've been pointed at the following wiki page.

http://guildofwriters.com/wiki/ShellTest

Thanks to Christian Walther for the pointed finger showing the way.

[edit]
My first pass at this has raised three questions from the first eight instructions, so I have posted the three questions over at the All Tutorials thread http://forum.guildofwriters.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=138 and I will remove this edit once we have the wiki fully idiot proof.

Please remember when it comes to this I am a fully qualified time served idiot :shock: [/edit]

[edit+]
;) Thanks to D'Lanor for a nod in the right direction because I had not textured my additions they probably failed and I need to do something called UV mapping so there's a wiki for that at http://www.guildofwriters.com/wiki/Giving_It_Substance#UV_Mapping so let's see what that does.

I am also considering a new page for the wiki that takes an idiot (that's me by the way) through the mill of doing their first shell.

1 Opening with a description of the layers in the blender file you received. Using the keyboard to manipulate the layers. Using the mouse to change how you look at your shell including the differences between Solid, Textured and Wire frame.

2 Changing the shape of the floor to make a hump then exporting that to CC Ahra Pahts.

3 Then adding a simple cube and a sphere then exporting that to CC Ahra Pahats.

4 Then adding kick ability to the cube to that simple cube and an animated texture to the sphere so it becomes a rotating globe, Maybe we should make the globe kickable also. Then exporting that to CC Ahra Pahats.

5 Then add some simple sounds to these objects so that they emit when kicked. Then export that to CC Ahra Pahts.

6 Then adding a simple upper platform and making a ladder and steps to that upper platform then exporting that to CC Ahra Pahts.

7 Then adding a visual upper side to the platform laid out like a chess board with squares of different appearance and texture some you will be able to walk on and others you will fall through. Then exporting that to CC Ahra Pahats.

8 Then importing some generic object ideally a pedestal with a link book that links to the nexus age and have it so the noob is guided in how to manipulate the destination so they land on their shell location in the Ahra Pahats nexus.

9 Then importing a generic puzzle door for their shell (I am in discussions with D'Lanor about this and the issues of object control and manipulation it raises)

10 The final step exporting your finished work for appraisal, criticism by independent observers. (They have to get used to criticism at some point) :twisted:

The aim is to build a wiki that leads the Noob into Blender and Ahra Pahts. If we are to make use of the imaginative talent out in the community we need to lead them gently into this world/age.

Age building is a big step but Ahra Pahts is a perfect starting ground and if the noob never gets beyond loading his own shell to CC Ahra Pahts then we have lost nothing but gained an audience with an appreciation of how easy it is to take that first step.

It's the old saying how do you eat an elephant. Answer one bit at a time.

By the time the noob is finished will not be such a noob any more and will be in a position to follow other wiki pages with confidence.

A lot of this stuff is already done there is for example a page on the wiki about ladders. There is a load of stuff on water that they can move onto.
This is a ten step route to creative madness that I feel can only help us. ;)
[edit+]
Last edited by J'Kla on Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
J'Kla

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:02 am

Well, J'Kla, you got your wish - here's your wiki page:

A Beginner's Guide To Creating A Shell

There's a link to this from the Ahra Pahts page. I simply took what you wrote and pasted it into the page (correcting the spelling of Ahra Pahts first). Feel free to add any details you feel are necessary to take the absolute beginner to the point of placing a shell in the city.

To edit a Wiki page:

- Look on the left side of the page for the section entitled "personal tools" and click on "Log in / create account"
- In the login page, enter your forum name as the Username, and enter your forum password as the password. Then click Log In.
- On the Login Successful page, you'll be provided a link back to the page. Click on the link to return to the page.
- Look on the left side of the page for the section entitled "views" and click on "edit"
- You will be presented with the Wiki text of the page in a special editor. For a tutorial on editing MediaWiki pages, see Wikipedia's tutorial

Good luck!
Can we rebuild it? Yes, we can - here's how.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Myst Movie coming soon - spread the word!
Robert The Rebuilder

Postby J'Kla » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:07 pm

I will get started on the first page as soon as I manage to get my first shell exported to CC Ahra Pahts. :D
J'Kla

Postby J'Kla » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:38 pm

How do I add a new page it's getting quite long. :D
J'Kla

Postby diafero » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:13 am

Just open it in the browser (e.g. http://guildofwriters.com/wiki/My_New_Page ) and click "edit this page"
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby J'Kla » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:20 am

Thankyou :D
J'Kla

Postby J'Kla » Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:12 am

Ok the first bit is split into pages with back links all I need to do now is links to next page and previous page. :)
J'Kla

Postby diafero » Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:58 am

You should do links within the wiki differently, not by adding the complete http://... link. Links are done with:
[[wiki page name]]
if you want link text and link target to differ, use:
[[wiki page name|displayed text]]
Like I did it in this change.
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Next

Return to Ahra Pahts