AhraPhats not public nor working

A community Age for Uru.

Moderator: Aloys

AhraPhats not public nor working

Postby Fezz » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:14 am

My what alot of hoops to jump through. Anyhow:

For me Uru POTS is located under the below address.
Program Files\Ubi Soft\Cyan Worlds\Uru - Ages Beyond Myst
I dont really see anything referencing POTS CC,
though i can play it and have been to the city etc.

Was not sure what/where to put/do with the "sdl" or "sfx" folders
or its contents. I did read the ReadMe included but it makes no reference to sdl,sfx folders.
I did put them in their respective folders. I hope that was good.

sdl folder has a file Pahts.sdl
sfx folder has a file pahts003_amb.ogg

I did select and copy the contents of .dat and Python to their proper locations.

ULM does not see AhraPhats in the Public tag. It does appear in the Private tag.
ULM is locking up with "Checking File Integrity"
I am not able to select books in the Private tag at all.
Does make me wonder why they are even there.
I first thought Private was AGES I made and was experimenting with.

Maybe this is causing Dragons_tooth not to load or vise versa. I had zero problems with all the rest, they downloaded like champs.
Fezz

Re: AhraPhats not public nor working

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:40 am

Hello, Fezz! I have some questions for you regarding your problems.

1. What link did you use to download Ahra Pahts? In the ReadMe file that I see, it does mention where to put the SDL and SFX files:

To install:

- Copy the files in the dat folder to the dat folder of your Uru:CC
installation.

- Copy the file in the Python folder to the Python folder of your
URU:CC installation.

- Copy the file in the SDL folder to the SDL folder of your Uru:CC
installation.

- Copy the file in the sfx folder to the sfx folder of your Uru:CC
installation.

2. Are you running ULM/URU on Windows XP or Vista?

3. Did you redirect ULM to point to another server (such as the Guild of Maintainer's ULM server), or did you leave it as the default ULM server?

Notes:
- The age appears as "Pahts" under the Personal tab.
- The "Checking File Integrity..." message is normal, but locking up is not.
Can we rebuild it? Yes, we can - here's how.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Myst Movie coming soon - spread the word!
Robert The Rebuilder

Postby Fezz » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:35 pm

Using WinXP not very fond of Vista.

Actually I am using the instructions on the Alcug site.
My ReadMe didnt have any instructions of value at all.
It just said delete old files.

Yes the AGE book is under Pahts in the Personal section.
Cant download those in the first place anyway.
Wonder why its there if they dont want you to use it.

In ULM settings all I get is a dialog box with:
http://ulm.hbyte.net/library.php
ULM is not configurable in any way that I see.
Last edited by Fezz on Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Fezz

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:15 pm

Fezz wrote:Using WinXP not very fond of Vista.

OK - that at least rules out the Vista-related problems with ULM.

Fezz wrote:Actually I am using the instructions on the Alcug site.
My ReadMe didnt have any instructions of value at all.
It just said delete old files.

We've since moved to the Guild of Writers' Wiki (click here to see the page), and the link to the age files has been updated, along with the instructions.

Fezz wrote:Yes the AGE book is under Pahts in the Personal section.
Cant download those in the first place anyway.
Wonder why its there if they dont want you to use it.

The personal ages tab is for Writers to test out their ages without making them public (i.e. downloadable via ULM's interface). In this case, Ahra Pahts is not yet "public" - it is a work in progress. Once version 1.0 comes out, it will be made public. Until now, no one has had problems accessing ages listed in the Personal section.

Fezz wrote:Oh my you have got to be kidding.
There are more than one ULM?
My goodness tell me this is the Twilight Zone.
How ULM is redirtected I have no idea about that.

In ULM settings all I get is a dialog box with:
http://ulm.hbyte.net/library.php
ULM is not configurable in any way that I see.

Actually, that is the configuration I was talking about. And it sounds like it is pointing to the default location. Another item to cross off the list.

Fezz wrote:Sorry but I think flames are more than in order.

If I understand you correctly, "flaming" is definitely not in order. You must realize that the Writers and Maintainers have been successfully using ULM and visiting Ahra Pahts for some time now. Your case is unique, and we are still trying to find out the cause of your problems. I understand your frustration - everyone here has experienced it in some form, especially during the creation of the ages. But sending a nasty email to the age author is disrepectful and will definitely not help your case. If I misunderstood you, then please ignore this paragraph.

Now, let's focus on your problems with ULM. I recommend uninstalling it and reinstalling it. If you encounter any errors during installation, post the error message in this thread, and we'll help you figure out what the cause is.
Can we rebuild it? Yes, we can - here's how.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Myst Movie coming soon - spread the word!
Robert The Rebuilder

Postby GregW11 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:43 pm

Strange, I've gotten a downloadable version of Pahts in ULM (can't remember which server it was on though...). However, each shell that had something in it came up as "invalid" in the checksum.

And as for where to copy files with extensions (in case they were all in one large folder or mixed up)
.dat, .prp, and .sum go in your dat folder.

.sdl goes in the SDL folder

.pak goes in the Python folder

.ogg goes in the sfx folder. (and in the rare case where it's been added this way, .sfx or .wav go there too)
GregW11

Postby Jojon » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:29 am

Fezz wrote:Not a go to kinda thing for sure.
Sorry but I think flames are more than in order.

If you mean to flame the @%$%#!! spamming email harvesters, that makes is necessary for good honest people to lightly obfuscate their addresses against web spiders, then sure, I'll supply you with napalm. Otherwise; prepare for justified indignation.

The POTS part of your Uru installation consists of some more files in the dat, sfx, etc directories, for the new ages and a newer build of the Uru explorer exe - nothing more set apart.

The URL that you configure ULM with, points to a place with listings of ages, for display in the "Public" tab. The listings tell ULM where to fetch each age -- you could think of such places kind of as torrent trackers.

Maybe the "Personal" tab should be labelled "Local" instead? It simply shows ages that are present in your "dat" directory, but not listed at your configured "tracker", mentioned above -- in other words; ages that you have installed manually - this includes your own creations, until you release them through the ULM "tracker".
You should be able to add books on the personal tab exactly the same way you did the ones on the public one. If this fails; first try reinstalling the latest pahts release, beginning by deleting any old files belonging to the age. The "SDL", "python", "sfx", etc directories, that you are supposed to copy relevant files into, are the so named directories in the top level of your URU installation, speaking of which; are you absolutely *certain* that you have it installed under "Program files\", rather than "Program\" where I'd expect it?
Jojon

Postby Fezz » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:15 am

Okay, and Thanks :)
Last edited by Fezz on Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Fezz

Postby teedyo » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:10 pm

Wow.... just, wow.

First of all; your post hasn't been censored.

Second.. eeep; that would be inflammatory.

Third...whoops. yet again, inflammatory.

and fourth: If you want to spend your time whining about an e-mail address that isn't clickable (or easily parsed and yet, is easily read); I say, "Go ahead".
teedyo

Postby SeryousYew » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:57 pm

I think I have the same issue. I'm running URU PotS on WinXP and the installation folder is "URU - Ages Beyond Myst" (first installed URU ABM then PotS extension pack) and followed the procedures.
The AhraPaths book doesn't appear in my Relto but the others public ages works fine, I've tried even to change book n° but there was no way. I hope we'll find a solution! :roll:
SeryousYew

Postby BAD » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:20 pm

OK lets all take a breath and relax. This looks to me like a misunderstanding.

Fez,

I just checked the moderator logs and no one has edited your post. I don't know what happened to it, but if you want I can copy and paste the log to show you in a PM.

Everyone else,

It seems to me that English may not be Fez's first language. Lets choose our words a bit better to keep this from turning into a flame war.

Fez again,

Please try to read others posts in the best light you can. People here are not trying to hurt you and no one is allowed to just edit someones post in this forum administration. If you can't be civil with the people here, you can always just use this place as a reference. We don't require people to be active or participate. I hope you can see through the confusion and realize that this is not a bad place.
BAD is as good as he gets
BAD

Next

Return to Ahra Pahts