Nexus

A community Age for Uru.

Moderator: Aloys

Postby Aloys » Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:38 pm

Since no one has brought back the topic yet, let's start it again.
Summary of what I can remember:

We all agreed on the construction of a nexus for the Age to allow for faster travelling. This would be a 'fake' Age to skip the loading times problem that plagues Ae'gura (leaving the city to load the nexus, and then loading the city again)ie: it would actually be part of the Ahra Pahts Age, only hidden so we can't see it from the city, and when linking to it a fake loading screen would be displayed with the linking sound playing and the player would be transported to the Nexus. Same thing when linking from the nexus to the city. (the technical details of this still need to be worked out but for a start we had agreed on the idea)

The name 'Prin nexus' I think was brought up to differentiate it from the regular Uru nexus; it means 'little/small' in D'ni if my memory is right. I don't remember whether it was agreed on; but I like it. :)

About the look of the Nexus itself, several ideas where tossed. The one that stick was of a map of the city on the ground of a large room or perhaps a small model of the city (hence the name Prin nexus) and pedestals with books would be placed on the shells positions or along the walls; details like this hadn't been decided yet. I think there was still some debate on whether we should use regular books or a GUI system like in the Uru nexus. (personally, I'd prefer books)

One thing I realize just now is that our nexus, like all custom ages, would be experienced by everyone at the same time, unlike the Uru nexus. So we could have several people in the nexus. It's not really important, but we should keep it in mind when creating it, so that it's not too small. It will be fun to see several people in the same nexus. :)

A good part of this is still open to debate so let's exchange ideas.
Aloys

Postby Aloys » Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:41 pm

Now that I've posted all I could remember (please add anything you can remember I have forgotten) here's what I think.

I like the model/map idea. That would be a refrehing change from the Uru nexus. Some people argued that it might require to walk quite a bit although the aim of the nexus is precisely to gain time. I agree and I think this will be part of its charm. If we have it look like a nice map or 3d model of the city it may be quite big (not huge, but much larger than the Uru nexus) so walking in the nexus would be a small journey in itself.

I think we should go all the way with the city model idea and have it look like a full mini Age. I recently visited a museum in Paris that had a model of the city in the ground under a large glass panel, and I think it is a good idea. I see the nexus as a very large luminous room floating in the sky among the clouds. Bellow our feet would be a model of the city under a glass panel (large enough so we could place book pedestals on the shells) all around would be rocks and maybe a plant or two to make it more like a living place and remind a bit of the city bellow and above would be the night sky filled with stars.
If we make the city environment underground this would be a nice refreshing change.

I see the nexus as a subway: it is usefull because it saves you time, but don't necessarily enjoy the trip. I've been in the Uru Nexus countless times as everyone, and I know I grew a bit tired of it's dark atmosphere. If our nexus is bigger we should as well make it nice and enjoyable.
Aloys

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:55 pm

We might run into legal problems if we have the word "Nexus" in the name. Since this will end up looking like a little city, why not call it "Prin Pahts" (D'ni for "little city")?
Can we rebuild it? Yes, we can - here's how.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Myst Movie coming soon - spread the word!
Robert The Rebuilder

Postby Aloys » Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:16 pm

I don't think we wouldn't run into 'legal' problems if we call it a nexus.
Also it's not a proper noun perse, more a description of its function much like a linking book is usually called just a book instead of its D'ni name, or like an Age is called an Age. This is a nexus, so we have called it a nexus.
Beside people tend not to use or remember names in two parts (Kadish Tolesa for instance).
Aloys

Postby Kedri » Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:45 pm

Nexus

I don't think that Cyan could buy this word. Then again, if people could copywright the words "Stealth", "Tiger", "Apple" or even "Popsicle", They just might be able to.
Kedri: Modeller and writer. KI# 72427
ImageImageImage
NaNoWriMo '07!
Kedri

Postby J'anim Paedet » Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:24 pm

Well, it depends on how you say it. If we said that it was The Nexus, we might find trouble, but if we only referred to it as a Nexus, we might be all right. A nexus, after all, can mean many things besides the meaning Cyan has assigned to it.
J'anim Paedet

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:06 am

Ok a potential problem: What if multiple (as in a great mass) of people are in the nexus at one time using the book machine? Well I can think of a solution but it's complex, we'd need a Responder or Something in the nexus that would notify the client of someone entering the nexus and the client would Non-netforcidly (not a word) turn the drawing off on the other avatars in the nexus and have the machine or whatever only accept local notifications. (This is a highly technical post, but the idea is actually fairly simple)
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:07 am

Adam:

We may be using books instead of a machine (copied from Aloys' initial post above):

QUOTE (Aloys)
About the look of the Nexus itself, several ideas where tossed. The one that stick was of a map of the city on the ground of a large room or perhaps a small model of the city (hence the name Prin nexus) and pedestals with books would be placed on the shells positions or along the walls; details like this hadn't been decided yet. I think there was still some debate on whether we should use regular books or a GUI system like in the Uru nexus. (personally, I'd prefer books)[/quote]

If we go the book route, then we won't need to do any tricky scripting.
Can we rebuild it? Yes, we can - here's how.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Myst Movie coming soon - spread the word!
Robert The Rebuilder

Postby Tweek » Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:06 am

how about just using "hub" or "Interim"
Beneath - IC Blog.
Beneath: Ages of Tweek - FB Age Dev Page.
Tweek

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:39 am

Ah, okay Rob ;)
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Next

Return to Ahra Pahts