Nexus

A community Age for Uru.

Moderator: Aloys

Postby Chogon » Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:58 pm

Can't you guys just set your nexus age to only allow one player (i.e. everyone gets their own instance)? Or is there a reason you want it to be a shared experience?

In the .age file:
MaxCapacity=1

Chogon
Chogon

Postby Paradox » Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:51 pm

Hey Chogon, nice to see some Cyantists around :D

I think the nexus was supposed to be a part of the actual Age so that you wouldn't have to wait for the nexus to load, only to link back to a different part of the city.
Paradox

Postby Zrax » Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:38 pm

Well, if we had control of some of the special detector regions, then with some advanced python we could simply add more than one such nexus area, and bump it over to the next one for each one that's occupied... I haven't done any research to that effect yet though (and with Volcano being so busy atm, I doubt I'd be able to in the near future), but it's something to consider... One idea at least ;).
Zrax

Postby Starfyre » Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:09 pm

Yeah the Nexus is supposed to be part of the Age. Think Gahreeshen Maintainer's Nexus. The Maintainer's Nexus is an actual age. But to keep load times down the files were part of the Garrison.age file tree. That is what I thought would be good here. Our Nexus won't even have .age file
Starfyre

Postby Aloys » Sat May 20, 2006 8:35 am

Bump. :unsure:

I still think we really need this nexus (or however we end up calling it). And ideally we would need to be ready (or at least functionnal) for the first release of the Age (requiring people to walk through the entire Age would turn many of them down :( ).
So, we've got a choice to make here. Assuming we can't (and won't) do GUIs we have two possibilities:
  • 'Static' nexus: The room is a large model of the Age, all books are present on pedestals in the room (whether on their shells models or against the wall)
  • 'Dynamic' nexus. There's a machinery (to be designed) that somehow delivers books, much like the Uru nexus but whithout the GUI.
I'd rather go the dynamic way, it'd look nicer, the room would be easier to navigate (if we don't have 150 pedestal books in there) and it'd be interactive which would be well, bluntly put, much more cool. B)
Here's one way how we could do it: on each 'shell' there's a standard button-on-pedestal thing (like in Teledahn's elevator) pushing it makes the book come up from the ground (or down from the ceiling, that would look nice). Once the book is clicked it is removed.

Now, of course this means more coding work. (and I'm not a coder so I can't help here :( ). If we can't/don't have time to go the dynamic way, I guess the static way would do.

Opinions?
Aloys

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Sat May 20, 2006 9:14 am

Dynamic would be cool, but the plugin is a way from supporting this.
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Postby Aloys » Sat May 20, 2006 9:56 am

I'm not really up to date about python coding & possible interactivity. I remember Dustin's ages showed some promise as far as simple interactivity goes. That's why I thought maybe we could get away with simple stuff.. (click button, book comes in)
But if we can't, static books will have to do.
Aloys

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Sat May 20, 2006 10:07 am

We could do clicking, even if you had to cheat with it.
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Postby Besharen » Sat May 20, 2006 10:27 am

I agree- a dynamic nexus would be better. And, ya, one of Dustin's ages had a button you pressed that made a ball come and Niveerah had the button/door opening animation too. So I think it is possible to do it. I'm not a programmer myself though. Over at the New Tree, Trylon did most of the programming. However, he doesn't seem to have come over with the merge.

I think it should still be very different from the Uru Nexus, so people don't just think we copied it. Something like what Aloys suggested.
Besharen

Postby Kirk » Sat May 20, 2006 2:12 pm

*votes for underground trams. Cause you know, trams are cool*
Kirk

PreviousNext

Return to Ahra Pahts