Nexus

A community Age for Uru.

Moderator: Aloys

Postby Aloys » Mon May 22, 2006 6:46 am

Hm goind points.
There's the one in Ercana but does it really count as a 'regular' vehicle?
The way I think of the boats in Ahra is they'd be small boats for one or two avatars at best (all technical issues about having two avatars at once aside) they'd go on a pre-determined route an could only slow down or stop, much like the ride at the end of Ahnonay.
Or, we could go the Ercana way, and not have the avatar(s) sit but stand.

Either way that's not a priority.

ATCAnim. It's (mostly) on CoWiki
What? where? If it's the CoBBSwiki you're talking about I didn't find anything 'ATCAnim' related. :unsure:
Aloys

Postby Ailaera » Mon May 22, 2006 8:01 am

Right now of course boats would be out of the question cause we don't have the capabilities. What we could do is install like a subway system with Pods of some sort. What you do is go down into like a Subway tunnel. Click on a map where you want to go and the avatar walks through the door. The only problem with this scenario is only one person can use it, like the Relto Shelves and Books. Also there is no animation of the Pod moving, unless we can put a small movie into the age somehow.

Another idea on the Subway Tunnel is we work on something like the Train in Er'Cana or the Pod in Ahnonay. The Train in Er'Cana would definately allow more then one person. The Pod from Ahnonay would only allow one person. Two people can board the train. One of them operates it while the other is along for the ride. Only problem, no scenery. So not much point in doing it underground. Maybe a Monorail?
Ailaera

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Mon May 22, 2006 10:32 am

I had proposed a nexus mechanism in the City Hub topic, and I'll reproduce it here:

on a wall of the nexus/hub are three clickable buttons, each below a window that displays a number. The numbers 0-9 are textured onto a 10-sided shape, of which only one side is visible through the window. Each time the person clicks the button, the shape rotates to display a different number. The person clicks the buttons until the desired shell number is displayed.
When the player has finished dialing up the shell number, they press the fourth button. They hear the whirring of massive machinery all around them; when the sound stops, a door slides open, and inside a hidden alcove is a pedestal containing the linking book to the shell. Sort of like the Nexus, except on a larger scale: imagine a ring of pedestals circling the map room just beyond its wall. Only one pedestal/book is visible at a time.

[Art/Programming spoiler: actually, there will just be one pedestal/book. You'll just be led to believe there are 440 pedestals out there...]

I initially tried the clickables approach to this, but did not have much success. So, now I'm trying Dustin's "proximity click" approach. I'll tell you the results, once I get a chance to experiment further.

Tweek: I'm very curious - what is your idea?
Can we rebuild it? Yes, we can - here's how.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Myst Movie coming soon - spread the word!
Robert The Rebuilder

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Fri May 26, 2006 3:27 pm

[quote="Robert The Rebuilder"]I initially tried the clickables approach to this, but did not have much success.  So, now I'm trying Dustin's "proximity click" approach.  I'll tell you the results, once I get a chance to experiment further.

OK - I finally finished the experiment. You can try it yourself; go to this topic:

http://forum.agebuilder.org/index.php?act=ST&f=4&t=178#
Can we rebuild it? Yes, we can - here's how.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Myst Movie coming soon - spread the word!
Robert The Rebuilder

Previous

Return to Ahra Pahts