City shell/page numbering scheme

A community Age for Uru.

Moderator: Aloys

Postby Aloys » Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:37 pm

[quote="Aloys"]Ok i'll do that then; so the shells will be available tomorrow.

That week end went by quite fast didn't it? :unsure:
Sorry about the lateness. Here are the shells. :)

>>> CityShells01.zip

And by 'shells' I mean just this; there are only the shells in this file, not the streets and the rest of the ground. I've run into some problems with these and Blender so I'll need to give this some more work, shouldn't be long though. Since the last screenshots I had posted, I've slightly updated the shells, I had managed to cut some polygons here and there on the previous version, so I've added some details.

This file include all the shells (156 of them), modeled, UV mapped, lit, with the correct object names and correct page numbers, collisions and other flags, and a temporary texture for everything. In a word they're ready to use. (The age could almost be exported in a Prp as is; but the Book included don't have the pages; I didn't feel like creating 156 pages :o ) I've also included temporary walls and colored grounds just to help separate the districts visually -- they won't stay.

Each shell is made of 5 objects: the floor, the entrance stairs, the wall corners, the main wall, and the top wall. I cut the model into separate objects so they can each have their own texture when we will add some. They are named: 001Flr, 001Str, 001Crn, 001Wal and 001Top. (where '001' is the shell number)

Couple notes:
Since we will all customize the shells the lighting isn't the greatest. For the same reason, the texture I've included is just a placeholder to check the mapping. (and yes, it is ugly ;) ). Also the shells in the central district around the hub don't have the correct names and pages numbers yet, I'll fix this as soon as the Central hub will be included.

Tell me what you think of it, and if you like it we'll keep the shells as they are, and you can start working on customizing those shells; and I'll go work on the rest for the next version.

Things that need to be changed or added in the next version:
  • Fix shells names/pages numbers in central district
  • Fix streets and add them
  • Fix courtyards and add them
  • Make nice lampposts (unless someone else want to make them)
Aloys

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:06 pm

WOW - great work, Aloys! That must have taken some time.

Before people can start working on the shell files, the pages for the book will need to be created in the master city blend file, and the shell objects need to be put in those pages. I'd recommend just adding the pages one at a time, per requested shell. In the other thread, you mentioned that you had already created the per-shell blend files. Did you happen to add the pages before making those blend files?
Can we rebuild it? Yes, we can - here's how.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Myst Movie coming soon - spread the word!
Robert The Rebuilder

Postby Aloys » Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:50 am

Thank you :)

Fortunately I haven't created all the shell blend files, just a couple to test the idea. I say 'fortunately' because the pages aren't in the book yet. :o I'm glad I didn't create all the files, else I'd have had to add the pages in them one by one..

Also, about the streets, I've fixed the problem I had, so I can finish those and release them. It's been quite troublesome but I learned a number of things on blender along the way. I should try and release a tutorial or something about the process I had to use to make all this, it would be quite epic. :blink:

Once this and the book pages are in, the city will be pretty much ready to use. We'll only have to add the Hub. I can't wait to see it in place. :)
Aloys

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Mon May 01, 2006 9:48 am

A Blender tutorial would be great. But of course, that would be more work for you. I really liked your alpha texture tutorial - very well written.

Do you happen to have a city diagram that has each shell's number on it? You did have the diagram for the one district; I was just wondering if you had one for all 4 districts. I figured that you had something that you were referring to when naming all the shell objects in the city.

I realize that you're still working on the city itself - and keep up the great work, BTW - and that development of each shell would wait for that to be complete. But in the meantime, would it be OK to have people sign up for a shell (once we post the shell number diagram)? I'll remove my picture at the top of this topic in order to eliminate confusion.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Robert The Rebuilder

Postby Aloys » Mon May 01, 2006 2:47 pm

Thanks for all the nice comments. Once this (big) project is complete on my end and before I start working on a shell of mine I think I'll indeed work on some tutorial, or maybe a list of the Blender tricks that I learned on this project. And I certainly learned a lot. I'm not sure what would be the best but I will try and do something usefull for everyone.

Do you happen to have a city diagram that has each shell's number on it? (...) I realize that you're still working on the city itself - and keep up the great work, BTW - and that development of each shell would wait for that to be complete. But in the meantime, would it be OK to have people sign up for a shell (once we post the shell number diagram)?

That's a very good point. That would allow people to start working on shells right now. I don't have a complete listing of all the shells because of the central district with the Hub. J'anim sent me his file of the hub so I've started integrating it in there, but I have a couple unresolved issues and that will determine what shells are available in this district and which aren't...

BTW what would be a good way to sign for shells? I think using a Wiki page like there's at the Alcugs wiki to reserve Age prefixes would work great but we don't have a wiki. So the board will do fine. :)
Aloys

Postby J'anim Paedet » Mon May 01, 2006 3:57 pm

[quote="Aloys"]BTW what would be a good way to sign for shells? I think using a Wiki page like there's at the Alcugs wiki to reserve Age prefixes would work great but we don't have a wiki. So the board will do fine. :)

Well, remember that Starfyre is in fact considering setting up an Age Builder wiki, so don't give up on that end ;).

Oh, and do you mean unresolved issues relating to Hub integration? Anything you want me to change?
J'anim Paedet

Postby Aloys » Tue May 02, 2006 9:42 am

I gave this some good thought, and I think that the way th shell are in the district around the hub will stay as it is right now (see picture in 'City Hub' thread) so it cuts a triangular area in the center of the city.
With this configuration here is the Shells numbering we end up with:

>>> ShellsPlan01.gif

(you may notice that this way the central district shells are cut in 3 groups of ten. This wasn't done on purpose but it sure is convenient.)

So, if in a day or two (time for everyone to check this) we all agree and no one has objections or find any issues with this system, an 'Official Shells sign up' thread can be started. :) (and maybe later we'll switch to a Wiki page)
Aloys

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Tue May 02, 2006 9:57 am

Looks great, Aloys!

How about we set the date for this Friday (5/5)? Maybe you could post the topic, with a link to your image. Shells could go to people on a first-post, first-serve basis.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Robert The Rebuilder

Postby J'anim Paedet » Tue May 02, 2006 2:28 pm

I agree -- great work!

I'm also fine with friday (all those fives...), but where do we want to post this topic? I'm worried that if we put it in the TNT Age Creation Discussion forum, it might be overlooked by prospective Shell builders who think it is only intended for the members of the project.
J'anim Paedet

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Tue May 02, 2006 5:36 pm

Well, the actual sign-up post could be here in the Ahra Pahts forum, but we could post another topic in the Age Discussion:General Discussion forum that "advertises" the original post.

Heck, we can even post references in other age creation sites! The more, the merrier!

MOULagain KI# 1299

Robert The Rebuilder

PreviousNext

Return to Ahra Pahts