New version coming soon?

A community Age for Uru.

Moderator: Aloys

Re: New version coming soon?

Postby Grogyan » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:27 am

Eh?
The s119BookGUI.py hasn't changed.

But I know what you mean, where someone has to merge in the SDL variables, which has to be done manually
Better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all
Grogyan

Postby diafero » Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:02 am

The content of that file did not change, but in some version, the file had a "Gui" at the end, and in some versions a "GUI", and only the latter works because the filename has to match the class name - case sensitive!
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Chacal » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:07 am

Grogyan wrote:But I know what you mean, where someone has to merge in the SDL variables, which has to be done manually

I think my installer will help for that :)
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby Christian Walther » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:51 am

Paradox wrote:If you edit an Age and update the sum, Uru will pick up the changes upon the next link to the Age. This will not work for global files (since they are loaded into memory at startup), will not affect Python (again, loaded at startup), and probably won't affect SDL files.

Are you sure? My own experience corresponds more to diafero's explanation - when I only change some parameters, relinking works, but when I make changes that add or remove PRP objects, I get a crash or a black screen on relinking.

diafero wrote:I would not expect that to work, Uru loads the dictionary (or however you want to call the list of objects which are present in a page) on startup, so it won't reload that if you relink. It will reload the objects themselves though, so I would expect the results to be... crashy ;-)

Is it possible to force a reload of that directory? If not, that's one thing we should look into once we have the source. That would make age development much more convenient. (Along with a /link command to save the detour to Relto when relinking... I'm going to have a go at this, from what I've seen in the offline KI source, it looks like it should be pretty trivial.)

D'Lanor wrote:What most people do not know is that user ages do not need sum files, since they are not ages that the game "knows about". You can safely delete a user age sum file and the age still works fine.

I just tried that with my doodle age and got an error message "Some game files are missing or corrupts. Please reinstall Uru." Could it have anything to do with sequence prefixes? My age still has the default 100.
Christian Walther

Postby D'Lanor » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:59 pm

Christian Walther wrote:I just tried that with my doodle age and got an error message "Some game files are missing or corrupts. Please reinstall Uru." Could it have anything to do with sequence prefixes? My age still has the default 100.

Ah yes, it might be a sequence prefix cap. I tried removing the sum files of other user ages and it works for me every time. Oh well, it is only a workaround. As Paradox already said we need the full age sum files for data verification. And for shard version control once we go online.
"It is in self-limitation that a master first shows himself." - Goethe
D'Lanor

Postby Aloys » Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:40 pm

I suddenly had a revelation: I suggest that the very first thing we should change when we get the source code is this message!.. :o To make it explicit, to output a really usefull error log.. Later on we should strive to implement similar changes and additions to eventually develop a complete dev client..
(Although I realize as I type that it may be part of the source..)
Aloys

Postby Nadnerb » Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:44 pm

That would probably be the resources log... which is disabled by default.. but it lists every creatable as it is read from the file, so it should be possible to tell from this what objects have errors that prevent them from reading.
Live KI: 34914 MOULa KI: 23247 Gehn KI: 11588 Available Ages: TunnelDemo3, BoxAge, Odema
Nadnerb

Postby Paradox » Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:52 pm

Nadnerb wrote:That would probably be the resources log... which is disabled by default.. but it lists every creatable as it is read from the file, so it should be possible to tell from this what objects have errors that prevent them from reading.

Yes... now, on the other hand it doesn't tell you when you have valid objects that cause crashes or bugs; and the logs grow by a few hundred megabytes for each link :P
Paradox

Postby Aloys » Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:03 pm

I don't even remember what's in the ressource log.. :? (and a quick peek doesn't help)
A slightly more explicit message shouldn't be too hard to do: "File X is missing" "File X is present but either corrupted or the checksum is incorrect" etc.
When I export Ahra Pahts I have litterally over a hundred files to parse before I can find what's wrong.. :o Granted that might be a slightly extreme example and I usually know what may be wrong, but even on smaller Ages I still often spend a good deal of time manually hunting down an info that Plasma already has but just won't give out..
Aloys

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:06 pm

I just uploaded a new version of Ahra Pahts, and changed the link on the Wiki page. Changes:
  • Using diafero's Pahts.sum file - now you no longer need to resum when substituting your shell files.
  • Pahts_District_Hub.prp is now Pahts_District_PahtsHub.prp, with the age file and the paging script updated. No more pesky AhnonaySpheres!
  • s119BookGUI.prp file's case is fixed in the Pahts.pak file. Grogyan's journal now works.
  • Added Katreeny's interim Shell232.prp file. Smaller than it was for RAD2, but it still requires 45 seconds to completely load.
  • Shell 111 is a lot noisier now...
Can we rebuild it? Yes, we can - here's how.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Myst Movie coming soon - spread the word!
Robert The Rebuilder

PreviousNext

Return to Ahra Pahts