Companionship

A community Age for Uru.

Moderator: Aloys

Companionship

Postby Jadawin12 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:39 am

Hello

I recently put up my first ideas for my first two Ages here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3347

And I was given the excellent criticism by Xindhus to contact you about working to make Ar'Deko my Art Deco Superskyscraper Age a companion Age to your truly wonderful and really impressive Ahra Pahts.

So if you have any ideas or suggestions I would gladly consider them. Thank you for your time.
Thelonius "Prof" Higginsbottom
KI: 01632887
Jadawin12

Re: Companionship

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:28 am

I just reviewed your second age idea, re the Great Inventor's skyscraper. Very intriguing!

To clarify on Xindhus's comment: the way Ahra Pahts works is that each person signs up for a city block (or "shell" as it is referred to in this age). They receive a Blender file containing the shell, to which they add content. We've partitioned the age among different "pages" so that each shell is on a separate page. The person exports just that page (or .PRP file) of the age and it is folded into the master age. When visiting Ahra Pahts, you can see what people have contributed so far by this method.

So, if you wish, your apartment scheme can follow the same method. Just tell your modeler to put each empty apartment room in a separate page, and allow for the ability to isolate the apartment's geometry into a separate file.

That may be way more detail than you wanted at this early stage of your age, but I think that's where Xindhus was going.
Can we rebuild it? Yes, we can - here's how.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Myst Movie coming soon - spread the word!
Robert The Rebuilder

Postby Jadawin12 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:48 am

No actually that info is very interesting and possibly useful. Just wondering, could this method be used to some extent to make Ar'Deko seem larger than it is? Because while the Tower is supposed to be thousands of meters high but I've heard that there is a limit to how high Ages can be, so I was wondering since as of right now there will be only 4 Explorer accessable levels, the visitors level, the Garden/Zoo/Food production level, the Inventor's Penthouse, and an undecided level. So could I potentially programing wise place each of the levels on different pages and have elevators 'link' the levels together, and use false ceiling and floors to give it the feeling of depth?
Thelonius "Prof" Higginsbottom
KI: 01632887
Jadawin12

Postby Jusme » Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:55 pm

ROFL...The master age....
Jusme

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:49 pm

You sure could. I don't know if you've ever used 'fly mode' in Gahressen, but they pull a similar trick with their elevators. Let's say you linked in at the base of your skyscraper, and you see it stretch up into the clouds. You enter the lobby and then enter an elevator, with the doors sliding shut. In the interior of the elevator, you push the button for the penthouse level. What your age could secretly do is warp you to a similar elevator over in a different part of the age (say a few thousand meters to the south) and have you exit into a fake "penthouse": you look out the window and see above the cloud layer, with the building's base disappearing into the clouds. The elevators didn't move - you did.
Can we rebuild it? Yes, we can - here's how.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Myst Movie coming soon - spread the word!
Robert The Rebuilder

Return to Ahra Pahts