City Hub

A community Age for Uru.

Moderator: Aloys

Postby Aloys » Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:38 pm

Ha, now that solves the issue. However I think that it may make for long stairs, and going from the first floor to the second will take a bit of time..

On that first screenshot we can spot the four canals in the first floor, that looks nice, it was a good idea. I'm curious to see it ingame.
Aloys

Postby J'anim Paedet » Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:47 pm

[quote="Aloys"] Ha, now that solves the issue. However I think that it may make for long stairs, and going from the first floor to the second will take a bit of time..

I tried doing something more direct, but it just didn't work. Too steep. But I'll keep at it; if anything else comes to me, I'll try it out. And I'm still open to suggestions, of course!
J'anim Paedet

Postby Aloys » Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:48 pm

Maybe we could do it like in the Great Shaft and have a very complex puzzle to raise the floor? :lol:

I still think a spiral staircase could work. To make it look better one possiblity I see would be to have it in the middle of one of the outer walls of the second floor. That'd mean closing down one of the entrance/exits on each floor but there are several other ones and that would keep the symmetry of the building. Also we could still have windows along the staircase. The building is quite large, it really wouldn't take that much space.

Here is a test (thanks to Skaaj's stairscase script)
Image Image Image

(on the first screenshot the walls of the first and second floor are highlighted)
Aloys

Postby Starfyre » Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:10 pm

I like the staircase. It needs hand rails. Though it ought to be off to one side I think.
Starfyre

Postby J'anim Paedet » Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:16 pm

Yes, there's an idea I hadn't considered. :) My only two questions then would be:
(1) how long would it take to go up it? As it is right now, that would be a lot of loops to go around; any chance it could be stretched without making it too steep? (Sorry, I'm not very familiar with Skaaj's script)
(2) could it be manipulated so that you could get on the staircase from both sides of the doorway?

Actually, I'll give it a try on my version; where did you find the staircase builder?
J'anim Paedet

Postby Aloys » Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:44 pm

You can find Sjaak's (which I spelled Skaaj :ph34r: ) script here:
http://www.cobbs.ca/bbs/showthread.php?t=841. It's a very handy tool.

Stair's steps must be 0.5 feet high at most else avatars can't walk them.
Using your system or the one I suggest wouldn't change much in terms of 'travel time' since in the end we'd have to climb the same height.
The only way I can see to make it accessible from both sides would be to have the inside of the building slightly higher/lower than the outside, so that the steps are at the right height on both floor.. hm difficult to explain like this. I'll do a picture if you want.

it ought to be off to one side I think.it ought to be off to one side I think.
I'm not sure I understand, what do you mean?
You're right about handrails, those would be usefull.
Aloys

Postby The Enlightened » Sun Jul 09, 2006 5:10 pm

I don't want to put down your idea. But I think that the slender pole of stairs in the middle detracts from the potential beauty of the room, is there another option to the central spiral?
The Enlightened

Previous

Return to Ahra Pahts