City Hub

A community Age for Uru.

Moderator: Aloys

Postby Aloys » Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:59 pm

For stairs, if space is an issue a spiral stairscase is what takes the less space..
The problem with other kind of stairs is that the ceiling is so high that we'd need huge stairs. So I'm afraid only sipracl staircase might fit in. It might look nice though if we do it well.

The idea of glass over the canals is nice. It worries me a bit because right now we still have some issues with transparency, but we'll see. The idea is nice.
And what about a nexus book? We need a nexus book somewhere in there.

Also, what could be in the two other 'towers'; and how do we access them? We might need stairs there too. ;)
Aloys

Postby J'anim Paedet » Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:56 pm

If we put stairs in the towers, there'd be no room left for people! I think the nexus should link directly to the towers. Perhaps they can function a bit like the Spyroom in Ae'gura? Maybe one of them could house a telescope for viewing the city, and the other a telescope for viewing the sky (depending, of course, on what we choose the sky to look like)?
As for the stairs, I'm going to try wrapping a spiral staircase around the outside of the 3rd pillar. Perhaps that will work, at least for the time being.

About the transparency issues: I'm making sure to test the objects in Uru to make sure they work before I completely construct them, so the glass should, in theory, work. I did a lot of transparent stuff in Terrati Lab (portholes, windows, and the like), and it worked just fine. And when I say "canal", I really mean something about (in Uru perspective) about 1' to 2' wide, not something on the scale of the actual city canals (just in case there was some confusion).

As to the nexus book... well, we could put a pedestal in the center of the glassed-over hexagonal water basin. But it probably would get in the way of speakers addressing the crowd in the theoretical bench area. Really, it depends on where the players link-in: upper or lower level?
J'anim Paedet

Postby Ailaera » Fri Jun 02, 2006 5:23 pm

Did anyone ever get a Ladder to work? That would solve that of course. Also there is elevators in Uru. Teledahn and Gahreeshen are good examples of this. They wouldn't take up as much room as Stairs would.

On the towers if they were larger one could have been done as the HQ for the NTC in Ahra Pahts. Kind of like a Tourist bureau. But they are kind small for even that. Maybe someone can do something like that in an outlying shell.
Ailaera

Postby J'anim Paedet » Fri Jun 02, 2006 5:31 pm

[quote="Ailaera"] Did anyone ever get a Ladder to work? That would solve that of course. Also there is elevators in Uru. Teledahn and Gahreeshen are good examples of this. They wouldn't take up as much room as Stairs would.

A ladder would work, true, and I do have a few in my Lab age, but it would be a technical problem in multiplayer; how would we explain people crossing each other on the way up and down? I do like the idea of elevators, and if I could just get them to work, I would give that mode a try. Unfortunately... I can't. Can anyone else?
J'anim Paedet

Postby Aloys » Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:00 pm

[quote="Ailaera"] On the towers if they were larger one could have been done as the HQ for the NTC in Ahra Pahts. Kind of like a Tourist bureau. But they are kind small for even that. Maybe someone can do something like that in an outlying shell.

I think that is a good idea. The tower are actually larger than they appear to be; right now they are a bit over 40ft in diameter. As a reference that's roughly the size of classrooms in the hoods; but it doesn't have all the furnitures and the clutter. You could easily fit in 15 people with chairs and a couple desks.
With the view over the city it would make for a nice meeting place.

(If you'll forgive me a very OOC comparison, we could have chairs along the walls, with the circular aspect of the room it could look like the Jedi Council meeting room in Star wars. :P )
Aloys

Postby ShadowDude » Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:50 pm

[quote="J'anim Paedet"]A ladder would work, true, and I do have a few in my Lab age, but it would be a technical problem in multiplayer; how would we explain people crossing each other on the way up and down?

Actually that's not even something Cyan has fixed; you can pass each other in multiplayer on ladders in Until Uru ;)
ShadowDude

Postby J'anim Paedet » Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:44 pm

Well, after some serious tinkering, I've got an actual working staircase for the Hub. I'd post a screenshot, but Blender all of a sudden won't let me save under anything but "Targa", which is a file format I'm not familiar with. Anyone know how to change this?

Edit: Nevermind. I've run it through Photoshop. Just a moment...
J'anim Paedet

Postby J'anim Paedet » Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:33 pm

Here:

Thoughts?
J'anim Paedet

Postby Besharen » Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:49 pm

Maybe add some railings so people won't fall off by accident. Do you have any other images from different angles? It's a little hard to see the dimensions from just the one image. But it looks good. :)
Besharen

Postby J'anim Paedet » Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:06 pm

Railings, yes. Good idea there.
I'll post images from a few angles, just let me fire up Blender...

Edit: Here you go--
J'anim Paedet

PreviousNext

Return to Ahra Pahts