Small milestone :)

A community Age for Uru.

Moderator: Aloys

Postby Aloys » Mon May 01, 2006 6:58 pm

Exporting d:\games\Uru\dat\Pahts.age ...
Args are e_age
['e', 'age']
Exporting age Pahts
<- Exporting page Textures -1
<- Exporting page BuiltIn -2
<- Exporting page city 0
(...)
(...)
(...)
(...)
(...)
Writting Pahts.sum
done in 532.08 seconds

I just realized we have passed a small but important milestone: I've done today the first full export of the whole Age. :) All the 156 shells are there, each in their own Page and exported in their own Prp, all the streets are there (though right now I've used an old version), and the Hub is there too. As I said not all of this is in final form (texture, lighting, other details etc) but it's in. In terms of game development this is called the first Beta version. :P

This means that from now on the Age is fully functionnal and only needs new content. B)

For the record, it amounts to 162 files (.Prps .age .fni etc) weights a bit over 30mb and each shell's Prp weights a bit over 50kb. But there are only small placeholder textures right now, so when we'll replace them with better (and bigger) textures it'll all be much bigger.

Now I won't post it because it is too big for me to upload right now and I have to go to bed, and also because it is not really pretty to look at :ph34r: (old untextured & unlit streets, some shells have their normals inverted, the Hub isn't textured yet etc..). But I promise I'll upload a playable version tomorrow evening, the streets will be finished (they almost already are) and I will put some minimal lighting on the Hub.

If you have understood that right now the Age isn't pretty, but you still want to see it, here is a screenshot. :)
Aloys

Postby Besharen » Mon May 01, 2006 7:39 pm

Great job! :D
Besharen

Postby J'anim Paedet » Mon May 01, 2006 8:16 pm

I raise a virtual glass in a toast to the success of our project! Wonderful job, Aloys!
It may not look pretty, but the fact of the matter is: it exists. There's no stopping now!
J'anim Paedet

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Tue May 02, 2006 10:06 am

Terrific, Aloys! What a historic moment - you're the first explorer to walk the streets of Ahra Pahts!
Can we rebuild it? Yes, we can - here's how.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Myst Movie coming soon - spread the word!
Robert The Rebuilder

Postby Aloys » Tue May 02, 2006 3:49 pm

"Argh"
I had a good news yesterday, but for today I have a bad news.

For the last couple days I was seeing slight shiftings in the positions of the streets and the sideways when I was duplicating them, and that required manual adjustment each time so there were no holes in the ground between all the meshes. I thought I had found the origin of the problem but it turns out I was totally off track and there is something deeply wrong in my whole duplication process...
Whithout going into details right now, I have to say I use a rather long and compliquated duplication system to create the whole city, where I create an element (say a shell or a road) and has to go through many hurdles to duplicate it and rotate it as many times as needed throughout the whole city. (there's over 1400 objects right now). Needless to say this can be quite time consuming when I find something is wrong and I have to start again... So far there were sevral errors in the streets, sideways, and walls but I didn't mind because I was still refining the process and they weren't the final version. Also it turns out the same imperfection happens in the shells,which is logical since they go through the same process, but the way this is all setup I couldn't notice it on the shells. Which what mislead me about the streets issue.

Anyhow, long story short, I'll have to fix that duplication process and reposition all of the existing objects by hand so I don't have anymore holes in the streets... That will be long. -_- Unless I find another way but I don't see how...

I spent too much time on this tonight, and so the promised new version won't happen today. I'm really sorry for those who expected to walk down the streets of Ahra Pahts today, but this will have to wait. :( It'll be for the best in the end though.

Tomorrow I'll have to scrap much of the city and start again almost from scratch.
Aloys

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Tue May 02, 2006 5:34 pm

Take your time, Aloys - don't wear yourself out.

After all, Rome wasn't built in a day!

:P
Can we rebuild it? Yes, we can - here's how.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Myst Movie coming soon - spread the word!
Robert The Rebuilder

Postby Aloys » Wed May 03, 2006 10:33 am

yeah but I have some free time these days, so I'd rather work on this now. Or Rome won't be built at all. :P
Aloys

Postby The Enlightened » Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:12 pm

J'anim Paedet wrote: I raise a virtual glass in a toast to the success of our project! Wonderful job, Aloys!
It may not look pretty, but the fact of the matter is: it exists. There's no stopping now!

sa
The Enlightened

Return to Ahra Pahts