First version

A community Age for Uru.

Moderator: Aloys

Postby J'anim Paedet » Mon May 15, 2006 4:44 pm

[quote="Paradox"] TE, I think someone was mentioning that we have no concept art for the inside of the hub.

That was me! That was me! ;)

And yes, welcome back. As ever, we appreciate any help you are able to give us!
J'anim Paedet

Postby Aloys » Mon May 15, 2006 5:14 pm

[quote="Paradox"] Aloys, be sure to tell us when we can sign up for a shell.

It is a matter of days. Right now I am fixing the texture export bug and assigning all objects to Pages. And this is very long to do: there are over 1500 objects in the scene and all of them must be treated one by one.
Once this is done I can export all the shells and we can start the sign up process. :)

Nice to have you back on board TE. :)

delete the TexFaces for the Hub bridge supports -- they're supposed to be black, but blank UV texturing seems to have gotten in the way.
Oh, ok. I wondered why they were the only untextured objects.

Thanks all for the comments. :)
Aloys

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Mon May 15, 2006 7:31 pm

I think nighttime is a good choice for the backdrop, since I think we never resolved where exactly this city will be. (Outside, in a valley; inside a cave; near an ocean, etc.) So, covering it up in black is good for now. But that begs the question: what will provide the lighting? I like in the renders how the center of each triangle has a large lamppost; if you plunk down an omni light at each one of those centers, that could take care of the lighting. But that would be much work, in addition to the 1500 objects to attribute to a page...

Which one of those three renders do you recommend we feature on the AgeBuilder Wiki, Aloys?
Can we rebuild it? Yes, we can - here's how.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Myst Movie coming soon - spread the word!
Robert The Rebuilder

Postby Mystified Explorer » Mon May 15, 2006 10:23 pm

Wow! This'll be really good :D
Mystified Explorer

Postby Owehn » Tue May 16, 2006 11:06 am

Probably the shell builder will take care of lighting individually. There's enough monotonicity already, I think, to have the same lighting everywhere.
Owehn

Postby Aloys » Sat May 20, 2006 11:19 pm

Now that shells are complete (safe for textures, but that's not important right now) the next version is on its way, and I started working again on other things: new lampposts, high walls to break up the districts, customized courtyars to break up the monotony.
Here is a blender screenshot showing a courtyard in the blue district I've worked on.
(far in the background in the street you can spot one of the new lampposts that now dot the streets.)

(I've gone with a night setting again, we should really decide on the environment ;) )
Aloys

Postby Tweek » Sun May 21, 2006 4:42 am

I actually really like the night sky setting, it fits well with the current textures. But if they are place holders then I don't know how it would look.
Beneath - IC Blog.
Beneath: Ages of Tweek - FB Age Dev Page.
Tweek

Postby Aloys » Sun May 21, 2006 5:26 pm

I agree, the grey/blue tones add a lot to that. That and because all the light sources are the lampposts near the ground, so there's no light coming from the sky. (In fact there's no 'real' light at all, since it's all vertex painted on the models.)

But it could probably look ok too with more light in the sky:
(couldn't resist and added flares on the lights :ph34r: too bad we can't have them ingame)
Aloys

Postby T_S_Kimball » Sun May 21, 2006 7:02 pm

Hmm...

Perhaps somewhere in between the two, like a red/amber twilight? Would better fit what I've imagined of the place's final look - is it an end or a beginning? Dunno if you're going for a sense of mystery though.

Stunning nonetheless.

--TSK
Timothy S. Kimball | The Kind Healer -- http://sungak.net
Pahts Shells 420 {Basic layout - 70%; Text for books - 20%}
T_S_Kimball

Postby Besharen » Sun May 21, 2006 8:24 pm

Yeah, I agree a red/amber twilight type sky would look cool. I think the second image looks a lot better than the original black night sky one.
Besharen

PreviousNext

Return to Ahra Pahts