Second version (0.6)

A community Age for Uru.

Moderator: Aloys

Postby Aloys » Mon May 29, 2006 6:37 pm

We're pretty much ready yes; the shell are essentially complete, I just need to update the textures.
What I think we really need before we can start the sign ups is:
1) A minimal set of 'rules' so people don't create anything
2) Some technical advices and guidelines so their shells can be integrated easily (naming conventions, export rules etc)
3) A summary of what Ahra Pahts and the shells are and why people should sign up.
4) An updated plan of the city
I am working on these right now and should be ready soon now, tomorrow or the day after tomorrow.
If anyone think of something else please advise.

BTW something I've had in mind for a while but repeatedly forgot to ask about:

Could we allow two (or more) people to sign up for side-by-side shells and form a larger shell for a big construction project? (provided shells are in same district) Some sort of 'neighbors association'.
Technically it doesn't change anything on our side.
Aloys

Postby J'anim Paedet » Tue May 30, 2006 6:28 pm

[quote="Aloys"] Could we allow two (or more) people to sign up for side-by-side shells and form a larger shell for a big construction project? (provided shells are in same district) Some sort of 'neighbors association'.
Technically it doesn't change anything on our side.

I think that's a good idea. I know we're already considering trying to alter the monotony of the cityscape, and I think this would help situation greatly. The question is: how much would the actual city need to be changed in order to accomodate such a request? How far in advance would the builders need to notify us?
J'anim Paedet

Postby Aloys » Tue May 30, 2006 7:50 pm

This doesn't change anything at all.
People build their shell however they want, and we get prps that we upload. Nothing changes. :)

Let's say two people agree to sign up to for 2 side by side shells. They are given their two separate blender files. They merge them into a single blender scene to work more easily. They edit the shell walls to merge them into a single building. They build whatever they want in it, they assign all the objects and textures to one (or both pages) and they export the whole thing.
If all the objects and textures are assigned to only one of the two pages two prps are created anyway, one that will contain everything and the other will be empty. This is automatic as long as the right pages are still in the Book. (An empty Prp doesn't make Uru crash so it's fine)
So in the end we don't need to do anything unsual. (Well, if we really want to make sure nothing goes wrong we could merge the shells ourselves when people sign up; just to make sure the book and pages are OK)

I'm saying all this assuming shell owners can edit their shell's wall (provided that they don't exceed the original shell dimensions. We don't want shell to go over the streets right?). This had been discussed long ago, before the board was deleted, and hasn't really been discussed since; so I assumed we had agreed on it. Do we still agree on this? (or am I remembering it all wrong? )
Aloys

Postby Aloys » Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:46 am

Do we agree on this 'Neighbours association' rule? If we do, it is something we might want to include in the sign up thread so people can reserve two shells if they want.
Opinions?
Aloys

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:29 am

I think that's fine. Barriers between adjacent shells can be eliminated if both shell owners are OK with it. However, we should not have anything stretching across (or under) the pathways between shells.
Can we rebuild it? Yes, we can - here's how.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Myst Movie coming soon - spread the word!
Robert The Rebuilder

Postby Aloys » Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:50 pm

Your remark made me realize that the separations between the shells aren't really noticeable on the plan. I've updated it to show them better.
It's funny, I hadn't even though about associating shells in triangles like that precisely because of these separations. :)
About building above or under the pathways: I agree building under the streets could be a problem (although people creating a parallel network of tunnels under the surface could be fun :P ). But I though maybe we could allow some building above the streets that is slightly outside the limits of the shell (whithin precise limits). So that we can have small decoratins sprouting out of the facades of buildings like flags, open windows, things like that)
Limits could be: build at least 10 feet above the ground, and nothing more than 8 feet beyond the limits of the shell? The street sideways are 9 feet large, and streets in total are 41 large feet (sideways included).
Aloys

Postby Mystified Explorer » Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:30 am

Just wondering, will we be able to add to the walls of our respective shells? e.g. decorations, plants etc. That would make the city very interesting :)

Also will there be map systems? I found it very easy to get lost without a map lol :P
Mystified Explorer

Postby Aloys » Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:18 am

Yes and yes. :)
We will have specific rules about what can be added in terms of size, so the shells don't go over the streets and keep a reasonnable size. We want the city to be as diverse and interesting as possible. :)
And we will definitely have maps in the city. (Much like the maps in Ae'Gura). There will be one large map of the full city in the Hub (the large structure in the center) and maps of each district in, well, in each district. Also we will have the nexus to travel faster.
Aloys

Postby The Enlightened » Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:47 pm

::mutters:: Programming, it's all greek to me
The Enlightened

Postby The Enlightened » Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:13 pm

I had to reload Uru onto my computer recently, and I am having trouble adding Ahra Pahts onto Age Manager. Any tips on how to do this?
The Enlightened

PreviousNext

Return to Ahra Pahts