Second version (0.6)

A community Age for Uru.

Moderator: Aloys

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Fri May 26, 2006 3:43 pm

Don't forget to delete the pre-existing "AhraPahts" from your dat directory. This will conflict with the new Pahts files.

Aloys: incredible! My eyes nearly popped out of my head, it looks so great! What a fantastic place to explore!
Can we rebuild it? Yes, we can - here's how.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Myst Movie coming soon - spread the word!
Robert The Rebuilder

Postby Besharen » Fri May 26, 2006 4:43 pm

Wow! I just tried it out again, and I love it! Good job to everyone involved!

Also, should we be posting some more updated screenshots at the UruLive forums? They attracted quite a bit of attention when we posted them there before. Maybe we could start a new thread called "Ahra Pahts" where we would post an update about the age every week or something. A lot of people read that forums, so I'm sure we could promote the age a lot there...
Besharen

Postby Paradox » Fri May 26, 2006 5:55 pm

Looks great Aloys, I just have one question: Is this for offline or online?

You mentioned that the rivers weren't "swimmable" yet. If this is for offline (PotS) then you just need to add the swim regions.

If this is for online (UU) then you will have to change the rivers because the Uru Prime and Untìl Uru builds of UruExplorer.exe do not contain the necessary code for swim regions. Either the regions will be ignored, or the game will crash (I'm not sure which is more likely).

Just a minor stumbling block, but otherwise everything looks amazing B)
Paradox

Postby Ailaera » Fri May 26, 2006 5:57 pm

I would say though that by the time Live comes out this holiday season. That swim regions may not be a problem.
Ailaera

Postby zib_redlektab » Fri May 26, 2006 6:00 pm

yeah im guessing that live will not only have the tpots regions, it will have much more stable ones and new ones as well. :rolleyes:
Lurker extraordinaire!
http://www.zibland.com
zib_redlektab

Postby Aloys » Fri May 26, 2006 6:23 pm

yes; right now it is not specifically geared for any version. When we will release it for online exploration, the plan is to add barriers or something along the rivers to block access.

Thanks for the nice comments. :) Any (constructive) criticism is welcome too.
Aloys

Postby ShadowDude » Fri May 26, 2006 6:33 pm

[quote="Aloys"]yes; right now it is not specifically geared for any version. When we will release it for online exploration, the plan is to add barriers or something along the rivers to block access.

Thanks for the nice comments. :)  Any (constructive) criticism is welcome too.

I know I'm not really in this project, but I just had an idea for a work-around for the whole swimming region thing.

What if the rivers were shallow enough that you could walk in them with the water footstep sound? Would eliminate the problem of non-working swimming regions (since you can't swim in shallow water) and would also eliminate the need for invisible barriers.

You don't have to use it, but just a thought.

Great job on the age as a whole btw, looks awesome :)
ShadowDude

Postby Ailaera » Fri May 26, 2006 8:06 pm

The barriers would be in place so people don't wonder into shells or districts that aren't near ready yet.
Ailaera

Postby Zrax » Fri May 26, 2006 9:31 pm

Well, I went ahead and checked it out a little earlier, and I must say, nice work so far :). Some things I noticed (I only looked at it briefly) were that some of the polygons weren't showing up (in particular, some of the ones around some of the canals, and a big one in front of the central hub -- although that one still blocked me from passage), and also, some of the "ice" was "broken" (i.e., I could fall through the water) in a couple of places.... Also, I don't think it would be at all out of place to use the Night Sky -- especially with the lights everywhere throughout the city... I still think it looks really cool like that :). Ideally, it would be cool to see the sky change from day to night kinda like Gira does, but I guess PyPRP doesn't support anything like that yet (afaik)... Other than that, it looks *really* good so far, and if nobody here has any objections, I think I'll set up a Volcano book specially for a public Ahra Pahts for Volcano. Keep up the good work :D

EDIT: Oops, forgot to mention the biggest thing I thought of while exploring: It would be cool to have bridges over the water at key locations so you don't always have to go over to where the stairs are to get to the other side (it's easy to miss the jump (especially with lag :P), and once you're on the ice you can't jump out without the stairs)... Just a thought anyway ;)
Zrax

Postby Ailaera » Fri May 26, 2006 9:37 pm

I talked with Kirsten on the Sky. Both of us are in agreement. We both actually like the night sky. And with the lamp posts it would be cool that way.
Ailaera

PreviousNext

Return to Ahra Pahts