Is the Work in Vain?

A community Age for Uru.

Moderator: Aloys

Postby zib_redlektab » Fri Jun 02, 2006 5:55 pm

[quote="Ailaera"] There is two possibilities. The first being these ages not be included in Live. Or two that there is two versions of the ages. One for UAM and one for Live. This would of course mean someone will need to make the changes to the age as necessary for incorporation in Live. Not a small task.

I cant believe that some places still dont offer broadband. its just ridiculous that there are people who arent going to experience uru to its fullest simply because they can't. it really is a shame and a great loss to both our community and cyan worlds.

im sure that live will be compatibly (in some small way) with dialup, but im afraid that the dialup portion of our community will slowly be excluded more and more.

thats why i'd be willing to convert my age to any format to let others experience uru to its fullest, or at least as close as we can get them.
Lurker extraordinaire!
http://www.zibland.com
zib_redlektab

Postby Aloys » Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:38 pm

Technically you will be able to join and play Uru Live if you are on dial up. However you will get a lot of lag and download times for Ages will be very long.. But Cyan will not prevent anyone from joining. They are well aware of the situations of dialup users but there's nothing they can do about that.

And BTW, just so you know the physics engine itself will not render UAM obsolete nor will it prevent dial up users from playing.

J'anim: you lost your broadband connection for good? ho damn, I thought it was temporary. :o
Aloys

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:04 am

I've addressed these issues in the questions I sent to Tweek. We'll see what Mark DeForest has to say today - in one hour!
Can we rebuild it? Yes, we can - here's how.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Myst Movie coming soon - spread the word!
Robert The Rebuilder

Postby Paradox » Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:06 am

Replies to some questions:

The physics engine is changing (contracts still need to be signed). Many speculate that they will use ODE (plODEPhysical) from Myst V.

The PRP File format is changing, but they haven't specified if the object formats will change. (We're hoping that it is only a packing format change like the one from Uru to Myst V)

Cyan wishes to support tool makers, because they don't have the time/resources to build all of the necessary tools.
Paradox

Postby Besharen » Sat Jun 03, 2006 12:18 pm

He also said that any textures we use will have to be made completely by us, and cannot be taken from the Internet....which would be very challenging.

Maybe he's just talking about copy-written textures, because there are some free texture sites out there that would be great to be able to use.
Besharen

Postby Ailaera » Sat Jun 03, 2006 1:24 pm

I really hope your right and he's only talking about copyrighten textures. Cause if he means all textures then that would set us back by at least a year. We don't have the artists for something like that, like Cyan does.
Ailaera

Postby Besharen » Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:39 am

Another thing that was said in the second meeting:
(06/03 20:37:35) Mystical Explorer: What will happen to those ages that we have been working on in Blender and the fan-plugin? Will there be a way to incorperate those ages without redoing them?
(06/03 20:38:43) Chogon: We will definitely have to have some way to convert those Ages. Not sure what that is yet. But those early fan Ages are important.

...so that's good. :D
Besharen

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Sun Jun 04, 2006 11:23 am

Pfft. I serverely doubt that they will. More like we will add support for the Live format.
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Postby zib_redlektab » Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:44 pm

[quote="AdamJohnso"] Pfft. I serverely doubt that they will. More like we will add support for the Live format.

also, i hope this doesnt mean that you're going to stop working on the plugin, adam...i really want galamay to work... :(
Lurker extraordinaire!
http://www.zibland.com
zib_redlektab

Previous

Return to Ahra Pahts